1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other fan control

Discussion in 'Software' started by nigelleg, 21 Jan 2009.

1. nigelleg

nigelleg What's a Dremel?

Is there any software I can use to set up and control my fans via the motherboard headers

I am not happy with pwm control of the cpu fan and would like a program that would let me set it up or give me the flexibility to set up fan speed in relation to temps

Thanks

Nigel

2. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

3. nigelleg

nigelleg What's a Dremel?

Thanks badders
    I have 2 4 pin pwm conn on motherboard and 2 3 pin conn am I correct that I would only be to control the 2 fans running off the 4 pin headers
    The main thing I want to do is set up the cpu fan to run at 40% or 1100rpm when the cpu is 50 degree's or less at say 60% when above 50 and then 100% above 65 would this be possible
    with speedfan would i have to set this or start it each boot or can it be set to start and run automatically

I am trying to overcome my crap motherboard pwm control that only wants to speed up my fan when my 6600 reaches 80 plus

thanks

nigel

4. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Whether you can control the 3-pin fans depends on your motherboard.
    I can only control 2 of 4 on my Asus P5K, plus my 4-pin CPU fan.

For each temperature sensor, you can set a "desired" temperature, and a "warning" temperature.
    If any sensor goes over the "warning" temperature, all your fans will jump to 100% to get rid of the heat.

You can also set minimum and maximum speeds for each of your fans, though not all of these will correlate to a controllable fan header. (ie, I can set Speed3 and Speed4 on my motherboard, but it makes no difference to the fans connected to these)

Fans will tend to run closer to the maximum most of the time, but if you set this to a reasonable level, and set reasonable desired/warning temperatures, then you can usually find a good balance.
    AFAIK, you can't set temperature "bands" (40% at 50C and 60% at >50C etc) but fiddling with the values should get you close to where you want to be, especially if your "desired" temperature for your sensors are set high enough - fans will spin down and even stop automatically if your temperatures are low enough.

Hope this helps.

5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Speedfan can be set to run on startup. It should also be able to control your fans too. :thumb:

The Gigabyte software should also be able to control your fans, although it's probably not as good as speedfan.

I love having properly PWM'ed fan headers on this mobo - DFI were really on the ball when they made this, they spin up really nicely at very sensible temps. All with 3-pin headers too. :D