1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Hitachi paves the way to 24TB disks

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 26 Nov 2010.

1. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

2. DwarfKiller

DwarfKiller What's a Dremel?

"3.9TBdot/inch²", that's a lot of data to lose at the drop of a magnet.

3. Valinor

Valinor What's a Dremel?

It'd take quite a few years for SSDs to get down to the same-ish price level as hard drives, so making hard drives bigger in the meantime seems like a great idea.

24TB tho, who would use that much storage? (assuming that you're not trying to run a database from your home PC, but if you are then they'd be great!)

4. Twist86

Twist86 What's a Dremel?

My thought is why would you trust a HDD to store that much information? I would be so paranoid that id have 3-4 24TB drives backing up the primary just in case.

5. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

lol RAID5?

More space is always welcome. Although I barely use even 50GB of my 320GB drive that i have right now :p.

6. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

You might not want 24TB, but as the article mentions the greater areal density will likely bring with it greater read/write speeds. A 24TB drive will almost certainly have multiple platters, but you could have a single platter drive of the same density which would hold 4TB (assuming 6 platters in the 24TB drive, which I plucked out of my ass) and be faster than an F3. RAID a few of those together and you'll be laughing.

7. Alsomething

Alsomething What's a Dremel?

I look forward to drives of this size for two reasons.
    First the pixel count of cameras is forever increasing and my sister a keen photographer is filling up her hard drive with her 12mega pixel SLR. The 1TB hard drive is half full now and she has only been taking photos for about three years, I dread to think how much space will be needed for a life times worth.
    Second I would love to burn all my DVD's onto server for easy access and to protect the discs from being scratched, but this needs huge amount of space. I wouldn't want to do serious modding to make it work, I just to have a little home server tucked away with a couple of these in RAID

8. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

Hey, I have 3 x 2 TB disks and I currently have 2 of them full. RAW Files, Movies, Music and, of course, Steam takes up ALOT of space.

24 TB would be amazing but I shudder at the thought of the price of 1st gen products...

9. shanky887614

shanky887614 What's a Dremel?

this is actually a good idea think about it

i have a lot of video and audio files on my pc

i use barely 1tb at moment just upgraded to 2tb hdd

this will allow us to do a backup of a years worth of data

10. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

This will come in handy when the successor to BluRay HD comes out in the future! If DVD= 8GB, BluRay=50GB, next HD=320GB?

So compressed DVD=700MB, 1080p BluRay=7.94GB (or 10.9GB), next HD=50GB (or 68GB) per movie? Who knows.

Let's hope that by the next HD we can all buy decent encodes of HD movies like the HD TV shows on itunes.

Just be sure to buy 2 drives and use one as a backup of the first! :)

11. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

Unless they drastically reduce the error count, RAID 5 will be impractical and errors will likely be unrecoverable from.

12. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

RAID5 is risky with drives 2TB and greater. They would need to invest some new RAID class to use 24TB drives.

Also RAID is NOT for backing up data it is for resilience. To do proper backups you are still looking at tape as the medium to use, Ideally something like LTO 5 which gives you native capacity of 1.5TB per tape (upto 3TB compressed, but good luck with that). LTO will give you an archival life of 15 to 30 years, depending on how much you use the tape.

13. knuck

knuck Hate your face

we said the same thing when 1GB drives were announced ...

14. shanky887614

shanky887614 What's a Dremel?

andy mc will they work on normal pc's though that lto5

15. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

Yes, but it depends on how deep your pockets are. The drive generally run on SAS (Quantum has some that run on 6gb SAS).

This sort of thing is not cheap, I have an LTO 2 drive that I'm debating selling thats hardly been used which I could get a few hundred for, but as the interface is SCSI using it on windows 7 is a no go :sigh:

16. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

There is an issue with Win7 and SCSI?

17. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

Well when I last tried I could not find any working drivers for any of my SCSI cards for win 7, at the time no-one else could either from the hours I spent looking on the net, but it may have changed since then.

18. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

That's pretty sweet, I'll take 3. One for use, one for backup and one for a backup of the backup

I'd commit suicide if I lost 24TB of data

19. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

20. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

And video editors.

Or to put it another way: 24Tb disks? :D

Tags: Add Tags