1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Dell U2711

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by will_123, 19 Nov 2012.

1. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Looking at getting myself one of these dell monitors. Look very impressive, and really want to play at 2560x1440 but wondering if ill need to upgrade my graphics from overclocked 7870. Play lots of ARMA 2, DOTA and a lot of source engine games so my thinking was that it should be fine because they are more CPU related..but anybody got any experience with this?

Thanks

2. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

With a single GTX 670 it runs pretty much all my games very well with a mix of high/ultra in the various settings dropping AA and MSAA down a little. Would have thought a 7870 would be fairly capable at even lower settings but not ideal at a resolution of 2560 by 1440. Also GTX 670 SLI is in my experience the sweet spot for 2560 by 1440 with ultra settings across the board without going in to the upper hundreds of pounds!

Phone DELL direct and haggle for a better price if you buy direct. Pretend to be a freelance journalist and phone their small business number!

3. will_123

Yes that what i was thinking...that it would struggle. Might look into upgrading my card after then. Dont think it will affect my frame rates to much while playing DOTA and other source games. When your playing with that high res does AA & MSAA make a lot of difference or just tax the card more?
    Thanks for the tip for phoning them, if i can save a bit money that would be great.

4. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Can't speak for AMD cards but a single Nvidia GTX 670 is a good starting point for 2560 by 1440 especially with FXAA Which actually works very well in place of MSAA in some games. Dropping the uber/ultra options like HBAO does make a difference in frames using a single card.

Do it! Just mention you're a freelance journalist and the U2711 has peaked your interest to help you at work. They'll come back with an offer and see if you can knock that deal down a little. Don't have to play that hard to be honest as they usually offer a fairly decent discount usually.

5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

You don't need to say you are freelancer journalist to get a discount, but ok. Just don't go "Hello, I am Microsoft, I would like to order a million U2711, but later, now I just want one, please make me a price." That doesn't work :p

If you don't mind playing games at medium high settings to high settings, then you should be fine. If you must play them at very high/ultra, you may need to get Crossfire for this generation of graphic card.

6. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

To be honest, DOTA and Source will run fine at 1440p on a 7870, even at max. Arma 2 will be more of a problem, but you may just have to run everything in medium instead of high. Is it a 2GB version yes?

7. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Yes you do. Even get a newsletter from Dell addressed to 'The Managing Director'! :D

8. kissinger

kissinger Minimodder

You would probably get much better performance that you're expecting out of a 7870. The only setting you will probably have to turn down is MSAA and that isn't even much of a big deal at 1440p because the pixel density is so much greater (which obviates the need for MSAA somewhat).

Try it out first and then upgrade if you think you need to.

9. will_123

Yes its a 2GB version.

Yes that what i was thinking, but shall see. Will take the plunge after christmas depending on funds and see what its like. If i need to save for a graphics upgrade after I will.

Thanks lads.