1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling Custom or Corsair?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by atc95, 31 Dec 2012.

1. atc95

atc95 I have the upgrade bug!

I have been planning a case mod for some time now and have finally decided on parts.

The last issue is cooling, do i go for the h100i or the following:

Pump / block: Apogee drive II
    Radiator: Radiator

each configuration will have 2x these for fans: fans

The hardware it will be paired with is:

amd a10 5800k (overclocked)
    msi fm2 a75 ia (mini itx)
    external 350w be quiet sfx psu
    256gb ssd
    2x 92mm case fans

It is very unlikely that I will be adding a gpu as quite simply there is no space for one.

The reason for the slim fans is to allow there to be a gap between radiator and fans and the fact that I have very little room to spare, a 25mm depth fan is out of the question.

What are peoples thoughts on either setup as the corsair h100i is half the price but similar performance from the research I have done.

Also is it better for the radiator fans to act as intakes or exhausts?

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Personally I'd go with the Apogee block and radiator. It allows for future expansion of the loop should you wish to add a GPU or take it to a different setup all together. You'll obviously need some tubing and fitting. Go with 3/8 tubing and barbs or generic compressino fittings if you want to keep it cheap and cheerful.

By the way, I've had those Scythe SlipStream fans, and frankly they are a waste of space. They move so little air, even at max speed (and 2000rpm isn't quiet). Needless to say, with a rad in place they will be even worse, I suspect their static pressure is amongst the lowest of any fans you can buy. If you can avoid using them, do it.

3. atc95

Ok thanks, with fittings and tubing and the works it will cost me around £175 which is almost double the h100i so just checking. Do you know of any other slim fans that are better, I have the 92mm fans already (noctua a9x14) which are great (have tested in sig rig) but need fans like them for 120mm. The reason for the slim fans is that with the waterblock I have 18-20mm to spare (depending on what one) and i'd ideally like a bit of a gap between the radiator and fans.

4. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I see your point. The H100i is a good solution for sure. It really comes down to a)whether you can afford a custom loop, and b)whether you want the option of expanding the loop in future.

There aren't really any decent super thin 120mm fans. I know Yate Loon do a 20mm wide fan, but I've no idea what its like.

Why do you want a gap between the radiator and fans? A gap means you lose all the air pressure the fans are generating before it gets to the rad.

5. rollo

rollo Modder

H100i will not fit in any mini itx case for reference unless your modding it in.

Most you will get is the h60i which is a lot smaller.

If you go custom in mini itx the pump and rad will likely both be outside of case for reference.

6. atc95

The case is an old xbox 360 elite just so you know.

The intention was to have the radiator mounted on the side (externally) and have the fans mounted inside so there would be a 2-3mm gap between radiator and fans.

If I were to go custom the links I gave are for a pump/block combined and a radiator/reservoir combined and I have done the measurements and it should all fit.

I can't really explain it very well as I am absolutely useless at cad software :(

I have no intention of adding a graphics card as this will be a secondary rig so only needs to be able to play medium settings which the cpc mag suggests it can. That is why I am thinking the h100i might be the best bet, also it will be a nightmare to open and close the xbox when it is full of hardware so a "no maintenance" cooler would be ideal.