1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Bitfenix Prodigy. (red & white).Finished.

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Kronos, 8 May 2013.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I scratched one side of my white Prodigy so as I have a mate that sprays cars and the like I decided to get it painted except it suddenly took on a life of its own.

Lying in bed I thought how about I get it powder coated inside and out but remove all the innards first, HHD enclosure, optical drive bay slot, mobo tray and PSU enclosure. So it went from white to red.

First mod as such and I am aware that I have not got photos of everything, IE: the front and top grills stripped so the mesh can be painted and no images of the sides before powder coating.

Stripped ready for painting.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back from powder coaters.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Top and front original.

[​IMG]

Painted.

[​IMG]

The feet I am using.

[​IMG]

Insides refitted.

[​IMG]

With top.

[​IMG]

And front and feet.

[​IMG].

Rear.

[​IMG]

I am still in the process (never again) of shortening the PSU cables and sleeving them white along with all other cables including a new case USB cable replacement from Bitfenix because mine was afflicted with a common problem of faulty cables where only one USB port worked. But I am waiting on that.

That's it for now.

Last edited: 23 May 2013
  2. Phame

Phame COOOOFFFFEEEEE

Nice start man, il watch this! :D

3. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Thanks.

4. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Very nice KRONOS. Got to love the finish on a good powder coat. Looking forward to seeing it built back up again.

5. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Needing to get my hands on some Crucial Balistix RAM with Red LED's, at the moment I can only get my hands on 8GB which is 4 more than I need unless I reinstall Windows 7 but the 64Bit version.

6. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

It started off as a quick respray but as mentioned has taken on a life off it's own. I keep changing my mind how I want it to look or how to do things so apart from taking longer than I thought it has also been a steep learning curve.

During the night I decided to spray the PSU white so this morning I have stripped it down and later I will sand and prime.

Initially I was sleeving the cables with white braiding but have switched to white spiral which is easier to fit and looks good so will need to redo the cables already sleeved.

Also have changed my mind about the front fans, instead of two 120mm, which for the life of me I cannot figure out how to install correctly as screw holes certainly do not line up, instead I am going to use 1 x 200mm Coolermaster Mega flow.

7. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Looks good so far mate and I love the colour scheme. Shortening the cables on your PSU will definitely be worth it, I promise, these cases look so much better when everything is tidy inside, and as for plans, they always change and evolve over time, my projects are never ending, it's part of the fun.

8. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Thanks. It would have been great if I could have removed the actual plastic ATX connection but I tried everything from a decent set of tools to paper clips but it was not to be.

9. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

I bought a decent tool from good ol specialtech for mine a while ago, used a few before that and found them useless, but the decent ones should do it, which one did you try?

10. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

11. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

All fans fitted with cables sleeved. Have also chopped the bottom plastic thingy to give me a strip of white at the bottom which also covered the original fitting holes. I have also fitted a Bitfenix Recon fan controller.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PSU cover and HHD trays primed ready for painting white.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PSU finally sleeved yet to be tidied up or tested, will not be doing that until I have put the cover back on.

[​IMG]

Currently sleeving the front panel cables but only for size purposes as I am awaiting on a replacement for my faulty USB 3 connection.

12. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Cool color combo! I think this 1st time I've seen the Diamond Knurl feet on the Prodigy :thumb:

13. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Beautiful if expensive feet by the way.

I am not really sure how the colour combo took hold, it just sort of happened. Should I do another mod in the future then a lot of planning will take place instead of the way my current mod has happened. Massive learning curve though.

14. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

SSD/HDD and PSU casing finally painted.

[​IMG]

PSU reassembled.

[​IMG]

Front/side panel cables sleeved.

[​IMG]

I am going to get a better camera as my photos are cr**.

15. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I only have a crappy (Flip Mino) camera so apologies for the quality.

This has been my first attempt at modding and I have learnt much, I hope it isn't too shabby though I suspect it will be a little blingy for some.LOL.

Last edited: 16 Aug 2014
  16. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Very nice Glenn - although you need a white Recon ;)

17. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Yeah, I know, but might see if I can take this one apart and just paint that.

18. Knighthammer

Knighthammer What's a Dremel?

Nicely done.

19. dream1

dream1 What's a Dremel?

Gratz !!! Looks great :)

20. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Thanks guys.