1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Rated TDP's of coolers?

Discussion in 'General' started by kingred, 23 Aug 2013.

1. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

Dear all,

I am building a prototype thingo in which I would like to buy some aftermarket coolers to cool a thing. I have had a quick gander at some spec sheets, reviews and the like and I don't seem to be able to find a tdp rating for coolers? This strikes me as some odd omissions of cooling gear.

Does anyone have any suggestions as where to start finding this information and any recommendations?

Ideally I would like to start with a semi-passive setup (Traditional cooler with fan) and then work up to water cooling jobbies as it is really just a small project as of yet.

2. Boscoe

Boscoe Electronics extraordinaire.

Do they quote the thermal resistance of the coolers?

3. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

No its just the socket number in which you assume "oh this will cool my cpu" but don't actually list the ability of the cooler to dissipate heat or a maximum rating.

Is quite similar to what I want but however just having a simpler number or rating to however many watts of heat can be cooled would aid in my choice.

I.e. The wonderfin chillycooler x420xsepiroth has a 90 Watts capactity to cool

4. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

Unless I'm incredibly stupid and its glaring in my face I just really want numbers as a rating.

5. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

For instance here lists the cooling capacity as 150 Watts. Not every Cpu cooler I've looked at gives a rating which is mind boggling.

6. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

It's nigh impossible to say how much TDP a HS can dissipate, as so much depends on actually getting the heat into the sink in order for it to be actually dissipated. Hence why IB and haswell chips run so hot.

If you're cooling something other than a CPU that is giving off a uniform amount of heat across the entire base of the HS, you may find that modern HS's can actually dissipate a metric sh|t ton of heat.

7. Boscoe

Boscoe Electronics extraordinaire.

It depends on the junction to case thermal resistance of the CPU, the case to sink resistance, ambient temp, allowable delta temperature and how much air you force through the cooler before you can quote its PD capabilities.

8. Malvolio

Malvolio .

At a guess I'd just find what the beefiest CPU the HS is rated for, figure out the TDP of that (super easy to find) and you've got it basically sorted. Whilst not an exact number, it'll be rather ballpark for you, which is what I'm assuming you're looking for anyway!