1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Asus, MSI announce Thunderbolt-equipped boards

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 22 May 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. SaNdCrAwLeR

SaNdCrAwLeR What's a Dremel?

The Asus P8Z77-V Premium,
    I just peed my pants with those features...

3. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Meanwhile, the cables still cost a crapload, and the few devices that even support Thunderbolt cost even more.

4. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

This is not so. However, most of the peripherals that do exist are medium- to high-end video capture devices, which aren't of general interest.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I can't help but notice you also trimmed the start of that sentence: "Aside from a handful of monitors and external storage devices..."

6. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Well, okay, but the devices I've seen aren't either monitors or storage devices. Delete the comment if it offends you.

7. fodder

fodder Minimodder

This is strangely reminiscent of firewire in the early '90's, seem to remember apple pushing it as 'the next big thing' while no-one else was interested. Was much much faster than serial and cheaper than SCSI - just - but really didn't catch on that well as USB ended up being much cheaper and more flexible.

8. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Why would I do that? That's censorship. (Also, I'm a lowly freelancer - I have no moderation rights on the fora.)

10. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I really want to know when Asus will release a new Maximus Gene with Thubderbolt onboard, rather than a top end full ATX board. Still, at least the launch is happening!

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

PM'd you.

12. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

As fodder said, this just seems like another firewire. Also I don't see it taking off as USB 3 is already here and has the backwards compatibility thing working in it's favor.

13. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Firewire became THE standard for connecting digital video cameras and still has a lot of followers today. Like other big players, Apple has been happy to be an early adopter of connectivity tech. Apple worked with Intel to put it on consumer devices, and I'd wager that this mobo from Asus will turn out to be >50% the starting price of a Mac with thunderbolt.

Thunderbolt is a very respectable interconnect and a great partner to have for USB 3.

So what if there isn't a massive torrent of flakey thunderbolt devices with limited driver support. What is available is generally speaking very solid tech.

Oh, and before anyone starts moaning about the price of a thunderbolt cable. Yes they're expensive because of the chips in them but there are now other choices than Apple's (Although they are all shorter and more expensive!)

14. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

That's rather telling :)

15. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I've no problem with Thunderbolt, other than I suspect it's going to go the way of Firewire. Reasonable uptake to start with, but lower sales in comparison to USB forcing it to the back of the bus for anyone not a digital video enthusiast/pro.

I'm sure its enhanced feature set will help it along some, but I'm not adopting until it's an established tech that won't go away in 5 years, and leave me needing to re-buy several peripherals in USB4, or whatever else happens to be the most ubiquitous connector at the time.

16. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I've noticed a few people mention video devices. It's worth noting here that In the prosumer/professional video markets, Firewire connectivity is becoming less ubiquitous. HD-SDI and HDMI interfaces are more common in those areas, and video processing hardware is reaching a suitable price point for lower-end users.

Tags: Add Tags