1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Something More Annoying Than a Real Problem

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by TeenGeek, 16 Dec 2012.

1. TeenGeek

TeenGeek Worst touch typing ever.

Hello there, I have been having an issue with my computer lately. When I am watching fullscreen videos, or playing games, and listening to music (with fullscreen visualizer) my taskber comes into view. This would not be a big issue, except for that when I am playing a game, the window closes, and goes to my desktop. Its almost like I am hitting the windows button, except for that it happens when my hands are not even near the keyboard, and the start button does not activate. (windows 7, all other pertinent information should be in my sig.)

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

What video player are you using?
    Does it also occur with your YouTube videos?
    What codec pack you installed (if any)?

TeenGeek likes this.
  3. TeenGeek

I use XBMC, and VLC (happens on both) it happens on youtube, netflix, and all games I have. As far as I know, I haven't installed any codec packs, I just installed the programs, and let them be.

4. GoodBytes

- Did you install or have installed DivX or Nero? If so, remove them.
    - Did you add a new tool bar or something to the task bar in Windows?
    - Did you use any point in time any Windows tweak tool?
    - Did you change the font size or type in Windows? or DPI settings?
    Last question, does it occur in Windows Media Player 12?

5. TeenGeek

No DivX and no Nero. No new toolbars that I know of, I have all of my most used programs in the taskbar, they are as follows: Windows Explorer, Chrome, Steam, VLC, XBMC, Zune, TI-89 Emulator, Xonar DX Audio Center, Excel, OneNote, Word, Eclipse IDE, Autodesk 3DS MAX, Autodesk Maya, Indigo Renderer, Prime-95, Furmark, Google Earth, MSI Kombuster, MSI Afterburner, and the last one is Battlefield 3. I have never used the Windows tweak tool, that I remember. I have never changed font size/ type, although I have changed monitors a couple of times, if that makes any difference. I don't know if it happens in media player, as I don't use it.

6. GoodBytes

Hmm very strange. Everything looks perfect to me. :/
    Sadly I am out of ideas.

All I know, is that Windows 7 have a bug, where if you increase the DPI setting, with "use Windows XP style scaling" off (default is: enabled), that you can have that issue.

You can see if the option is unchecked simply by doing:
    -> Right-click on your desktop, and select Screen resolution
    -> Click on the blue link: Make text and other items larger or smaller
    -> Click on Customize sizing option
    -> A small panel will show, on it, you'll see Use Windows XP style scaling, check the box if it isn't, and you need to restart your computer.

If that doesn't help, than sadly I am out of ideas.

Last edited: 17 Dec 2012
  7. TeenGeek

Very intriguing... I checked that, and the box is checked. I am completely stumped as well, thanks for the ideas though!

8. GoodBytes

Just curiosity, in the case I stumble on a solution or think of something in the days to come:
    - When you have a full screen video, what happens if you click on an empty spot on the task bar, and then back on your full screen video? Does the task bar disappear now?

9. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Do you have the PC connected to more than one monitor ? If someone switches on the TV (connected by HDMI), mine does this if i'm already playing a game when it detects the now active display.

Also, could it be that you're activating a "sticky keys" function accidentally ?

10. Victoria

Victoria Banned

Update your graphics driver. And try by changing graphics settings from it. Update your Windows.

11. TeenGeek

@goodbytes, the taskbar will appear for about 30 seconds of so, then disappear, and if I click on it, then back to screen nothing happens, however, if I press esc. when I am watching youtube/ VLC, or alt+tab on XBMC then go back to the video, the taskbar disappears.

@spolsh, my PC os only connected to one monitor at the the moment, and so far in its life, it has only been connected to one at a time.

@Victoria, I updated my graphics driver about a week ago, but I'll try that, thanks, and windows should be fully up to date, as I check that fairly regularly.

12. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

I have two monitors, and if I play something full screen on the main monitor, and then click on something on the other monitor then the same thing happens to me, although clicking on the fullscreen vid again will hide it.
    By the sound of it you're not clicking off the video though, so maybe some badly behaved program is trying to steal focus? Is there any programs you typically have running whilst you're playing videos? Especially ones you've just recently started using or recently updated.

Last edited: 19 Dec 2012
  13. TeenGeek

No, not really, usually I just have chrome running, or just XBMC, etc.

14. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

Maybe a hypersensitive mouse sensor? I occasionally have trouble with that. And my gramps other mouse kind of clicks by itself. And the scroll-wheel is all out of whack. Doesn't bother him so he hasn't fixed or replaced it yet. Drives me insane but that's the only computer that isn't a bulky laptop or out in the open so that's the only option when you really need privacy. Even then sometimes clearing the history(even for online banking ) is hard when its on a fit. So maybe your problem lies there. Try switching mouses if you can. That's what Ive started doing. I just carry a mouse, keyboard+ headphones everywhere.

15. TeenGeek

hmm, that's a good idea, I have been considering getting a new mouse anyway, although the one I have right now is decent, it is 6400DPI, though (I use it at full sensitivity normally)

16. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Did a different mouse sort this out for you then ?

17. Restayvien

Restayvien aka [ZiiP] Prometheus

Try putting on a film and then unplug your keyboard/other peripherals to see if it still happens.
    It could be a twitchy wire/key/button somewhere. You could try updating perhipheral drivers too.

18. TeenGeek

Sorry I haven't been replying lately, I have been away from the computer. I got the Razer Tiamat 8200DPI mouse, and that did not sort out my issues.
    @Restayvien, I will have to try that, thanks! I might be getting my hands on another keyboard soon, so if unplugging the keyboard/mouse fixes it, i'll have to get another keyboard... Guess I'll have a spare mechanical keyboard then :)