1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Raspberry Pi Competition: Lego Case UPDATE: no more wheels :(

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by fdbh96, 29 Jan 2013.

1. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Ok, so after seeing everyones designs, I realised I needed a case for my pi, other than the box it came in :D. After thinking about trying to make something with wood/acrylic I realised I didn't have a clue how to do it. So I found the big box of lego and got started.

One of the main problems I had was managing to fit the Pi in with the random pieces of lego I had at my disposal.

Here are some photos of the main idea, which just needs neatening up a bit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One of the main concerns I have is that I might not have left room for it to breathe, but I'll test that tomorrow.

And thats about it so far, suggestions welcome :)

Last edited: 22 Mar 2013
  2. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

This is mainly just a prototype thing, in order to judge sizing and stuff. The problem Ive got is that the only lego Ive got is the stuff that I had when I was young (hence the wheels), and most of the blocks I have are really fat. However I did see some good thin pieces with ventilation holes in while I was rummaging around so Ill give that a go.

3. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Put a motor on it! :D

4. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

We demand proper placement of the duck eyes!:lol:

5. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Haha, Ive had a bit of a tidy up today, and Im getting closer to an all red colour scheme.

I had a look at putting motors on the wheels, but I think its probably beyond my practical and programming skills. That and the fact that the case would have to be a fair bit bigger to house the additional power supply, motors and breakout box.

6. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Update: Had the baby cousin round at the weekend so finally made some progress on case :)

However, due to its use in the house as a media center the wheels weren't really working (it kept rolling away) so I got rid of them. However, its not all bad news :D, I managed to find enough ventilation pieces for one side, and some more red bricks for a bit of colour co-ordination.

Here are the new pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Current OS: Raspbmc with Frodo

7. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

Maybe put the weels on a moving hinge, so you can 'park' it, with the weels off the ground, but still ride with it if the situation warrants it (for example a baby cousin). You shouldn't worry too much about the temperatures of the pi. That thing never even gets hot. Only warm. Lego and Pi can handle 'warm'.

I'm a bit sad to see the duck-eyes gone, too.

And can't you make the holes in the sides a bit smaller? or does the lego not permit that? It would make the case a bit sleeker, no?

Anyhow, mod on!

8. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

I took the top off mainly for access to the GPIO pins, as it was becoming a pain to take the top off.

The port holes are about as wide as they could be as I end up swapping the cables/sd card round a fair bit, so I need a bit of room to access them. However, when I get more settled with the pi in terms of projects, ill maybe close up the gaps a bit.

I like the idea of parking it, Ill just have to find something in the big box of lego for the job.