bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Modding

Old 2nd Jul 2009, 08:41   #121
bocian
New

bocian has yet to learn the way of the Dremel

A little weak texture, but I will try to fix it in the next version

Last edited by bocian; 2nd Jul 2009 at 08:49.
bocian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jul 2009, 12:25   #122
Floyd
Wire Twister

Floyd has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Good god thats nice. I need to work on my post modeling textures and renderings a lot more.
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jul 2009, 11:52   #123
Metric
has a bazooka

Metric has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Thanks for the comments everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaoKi View Post
I'd rather get some tips on texturing and mapping
Don't worry I didn't forget

It's almost 4:00am where I am (should be asleep). I'll post a tutorial in this thread later today (sometime after 1:00-2:00pm Pacific Mountain Time).

And for those who are new to Maxwell Render, I'll post a .zip with a few basic materials for doing heatsinks and waterblocks (acrylic, delrin, plastics, metals, etc)

Sidenote: I think someone else here (from the Sketchup Components topic I think) mentioned the idea of creating a 'DIY Motherboard', where a blank motherboard and different surface components such as PCI-E and DIMM slots could be added. I've started to work on the different board sizes in Solidworks, but I was wondering if anyone else here would be interested in getting this idea off the ground. I'm trying to keep this as accurate as possible, so if anyone has links to mechanical drawings for PCI/PCI-E/DIMM slots, that would be very helpful .
Metric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jul 2009, 21:59   #124
Burnout21
Is the daddy!

Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metric View Post
Thanks for the comments everyone.

Don't worry I didn't forget

It's almost 4:00am where I am (should be asleep). I'll post a tutorial in this thread later today (sometime after 1:00-2:00pm Pacific Mountain Time).

And for those who are new to Maxwell Render, I'll post a .zip with a few basic materials for doing heatsinks and waterblocks (acrylic, delrin, plastics, metals, etc)

Sidenote: I think someone else here (from the Sketchup Components topic I think) mentioned the idea of creating a 'DIY Motherboard', where a blank motherboard and different surface components such as PCI-E and DIMM slots could be added. I've started to work on the different board sizes in Solidworks, but I was wondering if anyone else here would be interested in getting this idea off the ground. I'm trying to keep this as accurate as possible, so if anyone has links to mechanical drawings for PCI/PCI-E/DIMM slots, that would be very helpful .
yay a tut!

i7 930, GA-X58-USB3, 12GB Kingston, GTX980, 240GB Cruical SSD, 1Tb Seagate, WC
Burnout21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jul 2009, 02:16   #125
Metric
has a bazooka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout21 View Post
yay a tut!
Sorry for the delay, got caught up with the 4th of July weekend . I'll try to get my tutorial out Tuesday afternoon Pacific Mountain Time.
Old 8th Jul 2009, 16:49   #126
bocian
New

bocian has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Modelled in Sketchup, rendered in Kerkythea (like all my models temporarily)
27 phases MLT

bocian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jul 2009, 20:23   #127
Floyd
Wire Twister

Are you guys taking photos of the drives and using it as a feature on the part? Sorry but im very simple when it comes to post modeling techniques.
Old 11th Jul 2009, 21:39   #128
confusis
Kiwi-modder

confusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysis

Lateste case design in kerkythea, based in sketchup.. I can't seem to get the thing to look photo-realistic though
By the way the motherboard is situated 90 degrees from normal.. the cables hang out the bottom, and then out the back. the base section acts as a cable shroud.
confusis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jul 2009, 22:44   #129
Metric
has a bazooka

Tutorial on the designing and making of this and rendering will come tonight
Old 11th Jul 2009, 23:04   #130
Burnout21
Is the daddy!

Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
awesome, solid modeling is pretty second nature to me, but i haven't had time to get my head around maxwell yet.

i7 930, GA-X58-USB3, 12GB Kingston, GTX980, 240GB Cruical SSD, 1Tb Seagate, WC
Burnout21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jul 2009, 18:00   #131
Floyd
Wire Twister

No tut?
Old 14th Jul 2009, 18:50   #132
Metric
has a bazooka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
No tut?
Been busy with summer school and preparing for Newegg's L4D tournament. I plan on getting it out later today.
Old 14th Jul 2009, 21:48   #133
HaoKi
Lleno de anguilas!

HaoKi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metric View Post
Been busy with summer school and preparing for Newegg's L4D tournament. I plan on getting it out later today.
Don't worry about it mate... We're fairly patient

Eutanasia: Q6600 g0 @ 3,6Ghz, DFI Lanparty DK X48-T2RS, 4Gb G.Skill @ 912mhz 5-4-4-4, HD4870 CrossfireX, 200gb WD... Article: Metku.net
HaoKi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Jul 2009, 00:53   #134
Metric
has a bazooka

INTRO

In this tutorial I'll be using Solidworks 2009 for modeling, Rhino 4.0 for scene setup and Maxwell Render 1.7.1 for the rendering. Maxwell Render is supported by numerous software packages (Solidworks, Rhino, Google Sketchup, Cinema 4D, etc. A list can be found on the Maxwell Render site, http://www.maxwellrender.com).

Each software group follows the same rules when applying Maxwell Materials (.mxm files). I'll be using Rhino as my scene setup software and the process in which materials are applied should be nearly the same for Solidworks, Sketchup and so forth.

TUTORIAL RESOURCES

HDRI Lighting Environments: http://files.getdropbox.com/u/2028/Tutorial/hdri.zip

Maxwell Materials: To be added!

Maxwell Render Website: http://www.maxwellrender.com

Maxwell Render Material Gallery: http://mxmgallery.maxwellrender.com/

Maxwell Solidworks Help Guide: http://www.maxwellrender.com/manual/...help/index.htm

McMaster-Carr: http://www.mcmaster.com

THE DESIGN

In nearly all of my watercooling block designs, they are physically correct in dimensions and scale. For this tutorial, I'll show the making of the 680i MOSFET waterblock posted earlier in this thread.

Taking the MOSFET heatsink off of my dead 680i board, I went and measured the mounting dimensions with my digital calipers (These can be found at Home Depot/Lowes/Etc for around $25.00-$35.00 USD).

I also measured the length and the height required to clear the R50 chokes (68mm and 7mm respectively)

After taking these measurements, I start sketching out the base in Solidworks.

Note that the height of the base (11.75mm) is less than the standard diameter of a G1/4 tap (11.8mm) and necessary O-Ring groove, so an "adapter" will be needed to have any fittings work. This is where the mid-section and top designs come into play.

Each section (base, mid and top) and complementing O-Rings are then put together into an Assembly file. The Bitspower Shining Silver barbs are made by evil-98 on Xtreme Systems and I still need to see if I have permission to post the .SLDPRT file (will be under the resources section once I can). Hex cap models and dimensions can also be downloaded at McMaster-Carr: http://www.mcmaster.com/.

RENDERING THE SCENE

After finishing up the MOSFET block in Solidworks, I setup a simple studio setup in Rhino (Solidworks users will have to create an assembly with each piece (floor, lights, etc) and work from there)

MATERIALS, LIGHTING AND CAMERA SETTINGS

Materials are simply applied by adding them to the current Scene Manager from the Materials Library. They are then applied by selecting the desired objects and right-clicking on the wanted material in the Scene Manager and selecting "Apply to Selected Objects". A ZIP file of some starting materials (Copper, Acetal/Delrin, Acrylic, etc) will be added at the beginning of this tutorial later this week.

LIGHTING

Unless you are dealing with a very large scene (working in meters, not millimeters), the supplied HDRI environments will work just fine (Reflections can become blocky/pixelated if the HDRI isn't a high enough resolution for the scene). HDRI's can be applied under the Environment box in Maxwell Studio or the equivalent software plugin window. For the camera, settings such as ISO Speed, F-Stop can be used to control the DOF. For the provided HDRIs, the camera's EV should be set to 9 (Default is 13).

RENDERING

After tweaking with the camera settings, the final step is to render. After clicking the Render button/menu item in your software's Maxwell plugin, a command window should briefly popup and then Maxwell Render should start up and begin rendering your scene.

Each SL or Sampling Level doubles in duration (i.e. If SL 1.0 takes 3 seconds, SL 2.0 would take 6 seconds, SL 3.0 would take 12 seconds, etc). As the SL increase, noise is also halved. A good quality-to-noise ratio is usually achieved after a SL of 14. The time is obviously dependent on the materials used and the complexity of the scene. To reach a SL of at least 14 can take anywhere from 15 minutes to over an hour on my system (Vista 64, 3.6GHz Q6600, 4GB DDR2-800).

CONCLUSION

Hope this tutorial helped shed some light on how to work with Solidworks and render using Maxwell Render. If you have any questions or found an error, feel free to email/PM me. Also if you enjoyed this tutorial and found it helpful, please rep .

Last edited by Metric; 15th Jul 2009 at 23:54.
Old 15th Jul 2009, 05:06   #135
Javerh
Topiary Golem

Javerh has yet to learn the way of the DremelJaverh has yet to learn the way of the DremelJaverh has yet to learn the way of the DremelJaverh has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Make it a sticky!

EDIT: Also +rep
Modders make project logs. Project logs make mods. Mods make modders.
Javerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Jul 2009, 07:21   #136
stuartwood89
Please... Just call me Stu.

stuartwood89 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitstuartwood89 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitstuartwood89 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitstuartwood89 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitstuartwood89 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitstuartwood89 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitstuartwood89 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitstuartwood89 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitstuartwood89 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitstuartwood89 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitstuartwood89 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
+1 on sticky. Really wish I had those programs.

Project - Storm Scout Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Propane View Post
I thought Dragonforce were like a joke/troll rock band? Ya'know, like Nickelback?
stuartwood89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Jul 2009, 07:33   #137
bentleya
Lian Li Snail :)

bentleya has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbentleya has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Great work and thanks metric , will really help a fair few of us.
bentleya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Jul 2009, 12:56   #138
Floyd
Wire Twister

Thanks man. +1 for this. This is going to help bring my models to life!
I already have the programs I just need to learn me some.
Old 16th Jul 2009, 12:07   #139
Floyd
Wire Twister

And of course I cannot use Maxwell because im still rocking Solidworks 07 at home. Time for an update!
Old 17th Jul 2009, 17:10   #140
Mankz

Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.

(Just a quick AA render in Cobalt v8 )
Mankz is offline   Reply With Quote

View Mode