bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Modding

Old 15th Oct 2005, 06:12   #21
Captain Slug
Infinite Patience

Captain Slug has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I don't recommend using lasercutting for plastics. Most of the machine shops I've talked to that offer laser cutting simply won't do that kind of work with anything other than aluminum, steel, or titanium. It's also just not a cost effective method and in most cases takes more time to do correctly than it would with standard tools.

Water-jet cutting on the other hand I have had done with plastics and you just have to keep the thickness tolerances in mind.

I have extremely limited experience with Acetal, Delrin, and Nylon. I left them it out since they are considerably more expensive than the other materials listed. It's not something I felt I should include in a beginner's guide. You are correct in that they're ideal materials for load-bearing or frequent wear applications. Neither of which instances an entry-level machinist would presumably be capable of designing said parts.

Also, Acrylic is equally as dangerous when it comes to fume production at certain temperature ranges. It also begins producing fumes at a lower temperature than polycarbonate. I don't recommend using flame polishing for either unless you have a serious filtration mask and a ventilated work area. As a standard it's best for most people to simply use sanding and polishing since the more "convenient" methods required exprienced hands and controlled environments in order to be safe.

Nothing you mentioned are items I feel would be reasonable to include as recommendation for the entry-level machinist for safety and experience concerns so I have omitted them.

Last edited by Captain Slug; 15th Oct 2005 at 06:19.
Captain Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Oct 2005, 16:51   #22
kplonk
Minimodder

kplonk has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Thanks for the info, nice to have all in one place
kplonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Oct 2005, 16:13   #23
r00t69
Multimodder

r00t69 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Thanks for the guide Captain Slug.

I've often found and handheld carpenters plane is very good for finishing straight edges once you set the blade fairly shallow.

I always said I wanted to be someone, I just should have been more specific!
r00t69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Dec 2005, 22:52   #24
Agent11345a
Minimodder

Agent11345a has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I did a project where I chose to machine plexi with a CNC mill, be sure that if you use one of those you do an initial cut of about .025 inches down and then bring it down in about .125" each additional cut until it is done, takes a hell of a long time, but the result is well worth it.

also bear in mind that the plexiglass needs to be put in place very securely (the tension put on the mill is very high)
Agent11345a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jul 2006, 04:25   #25
Captain Slug
Infinite Patience

Added template making guide.

Last edited by Captain Slug; 3rd Mar 2007 at 21:39.
Captain Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jan 2007, 15:11   #26
Duste
Sierra my delta, bravo!

Duste has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This is an insane guide, Captain Slug! I'll most definately be using it! :O
Duste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2007, 11:52   #27
Rage.
Multimodder

Rage. has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
simply fantastic.
thx =]
I believe in skill. When you train, you get better therefore enhancing your skill. When you get to a skill level so high that it's impossible to improve, you are uber. Too bad for you though, noobs can only become trained noobs.

PROJECTS
http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=130546
Rage. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2007, 21:47   #28
Captain Slug
Infinite Patience

updated materials list and added small sections on milling, lathing, and lasercutting.
Old 27th Mar 2007, 14:55   #29
trati629
Can I Fix It? :$ Well Yes??

trati629 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Another Glue to use for welding Acrylic ect..

I like to use Tensol 70 for welding most plastic together
available in the uk at
RS: Componants
Old 26th Apr 2007, 12:09   #30
mnpctech
bit-tech sponsor

mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.
Great Guide Captain Slug. Thanks for sharing
Old 14th May 2007, 00:58   #31
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I'd like to add something here...
If you have one, a tile wetsaw works great. The older the blade, the cleaner the edge. I have actually sliced my fingers on freshly cut plexiglas. I can vouch for polypropylene and acrylic.
I can also say it WILL NOT work for Lexan... I tried to cut Lexan with a tile saw out of curiosity and ended up kicking a breaker.
Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Aug 2009, 16:08   #32
Sushi Warrior
Multimodder

Sushi Warrior has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
You sure mitre saws aren't usable with acrylic? I just cut a sheet of acryl with it and it worked fine.
Sushi Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Aug 2009, 20:50   #33
capnPedro
Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior View Post
You sure mitre saws aren't usable with acrylic? I just cut a sheet of acryl with it and it worked fine.
Nice bump of a 4 year old thread (yeah, yeah 2 years since last reply...).

A good cut is actually more dependant on the blade used, so if your mitre saw has a high TPI blade, well good for you, but most people use [compound] mitre saws for ripping wood.

I <3 Aquatuning & Enermax long time!
capnPedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Aug 2009, 16:54   #34
Sushi Warrior
Multimodder

Sushi Warrior has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnPedro View Post
Nice bump of a 4 year old thread (yeah, yeah 2 years since last reply...).

A good cut is actually more dependant on the blade used, so if your mitre saw has a high TPI blade, well good for you, but most people use [compound] mitre saws for ripping wood.
Oh damn, it was a sticky and I forgot to check the dates

And I think the acrylic might of actually hurt the blade, it doesn't seem to cut as well anymore. Woopsies!
Sushi Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Aug 2009, 22:14   #35
Stuey
You will be defenestrated!

Stuey has yet to learn the way of the DremelStuey has yet to learn the way of the DremelStuey has yet to learn the way of the DremelStuey has yet to learn the way of the DremelStuey has yet to learn the way of the DremelStuey has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I use a non-ferrous TCG blade for plastic sometimes.
Old 21st Dec 2009, 04:13   #36
Shadow703793
Supermodder

Shadow703793 has yet to learn the way of the DremelShadow703793 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Just a little request for update: Alibre Express is no longer available. The sire redirect to the trial for the normal Alibre.
If you are a collage student (or know any one with a .edu email) you can grab many of Autodesk's tools, including Inventor, Maya, AutoCAD,etc for 15 months.

Link: http://students5.autodesk.com/?nd=register&und=624
=======
Also, you can grab SolidWorks' Engineering Stimulus Package (basically 90 day Student version)
here: http://www.solidworks.com/sw/esp/eng...s_package.html

=======
I realize that many here use SketchUp, but imo, SolidWorks and Inventor are much better (esp. for design work). As for rendering, SolidWorks and Inventor have quite a decent renderers built in.

Note: On SolidWorks you can do quite decent renderings. Here is a personal example done by me in about 5-10 minutes:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24351647@N07/3395904616/
Shadow703793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Apr 2010, 04:52   #37
sejutaluka
What's a Dremel?

sejutaluka has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
good info, request permission to bookmark this thread. thanks
sejutaluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Apr 2010, 18:47   #38
Stormwulf
A mod to far?

Stormwulf has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Just seen this, nice guide but be cautious of gases given off.
For example acetals give off formaldahyde gas so make sure you do it somewhere well ventillated or you'll end up with stingy eyes and a bad chest as the least of your problems.

Also there is an ABS FR which is flame resistant and tolerates higher temps ( abs should be available in most any colour you can think of ).
Stormwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Aug 2010, 10:16   #39
pistol_pete
Air Cooled Fool

pistol_pete has yet to learn the way of the Dremelpistol_pete has yet to learn the way of the Dremelpistol_pete has yet to learn the way of the Dremelpistol_pete has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Just on the topic of jigsaws, you can get special blades for acrylic/perspex. I found these to be much better than the metal blades I had be using previously, they cut straight with ease and leave a finish which looks semi-polished.

Bosch T101A are the blades I used.
- Q6600 G0(9x333) -- Asus P5k Premium -- 4GB Ballistix DDR2-800 -- EVGA GTX570 -- OCZ Vertex 2E 128GB -- 500GB Samsung F2 -- Antec Truepower New 650W -- Samsung Syncmaster 206BW -- Razer Lycosa, DeathAdder, and Destructor -- Custom Buitl Watercooled Case --

Pistol Pete's Project Perspiration Project Log
pistol_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Nov 2010, 21:42   #40
thegoody
What's a Dremel?

thegoody has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Great set of info there, will definitely come in handy! Cheers!
thegoody is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
guide

View Mode