1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics gtx 980ti release date

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DIZZY DAZZLER 2010, 28 Dec 2014.

1. DIZZY DAZZLER 2010

DIZZY DAZZLER 2010 Tech nut!

Has there been any further update on the release of the gtx 980ti. Thinking of getting a gtx 980 but knowing my look as soon as I do the full fat ti version will drop.

2. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Sadly, it seems Nvidia are going down the range with their next release.
    They'll be releasing a GTX960 on Jan 22nd

3. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I am waiting for information myself, I just hope they come out around March time so I can grab 3 and hopefully EVGA will have the Hydro Copper variants available with 8Gb of Vram.

4. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

What do you think about the reports its going to be held back until 2016?

5. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I cannot believe it will be held back because, AMD are due to release a new card apparently in the 1st quarter or half of next year which should perform quite abit better than the GTX980.

I honeslty think the GTX980Ti will be released around March 2015, or the new Titan card will be released.

For me I need something that performs at 4K better than the GTX780Ti and not by just 5% to 10% like the GTX980 does.

6. DIZZY DAZZLER 2010

DIZZY DAZZLER 2010 Tech nut!

Ahh may hold off and get more use from my gtx 780 and await the next wave of cards from nvidia.

7. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

They desperately need new cards below the 970 as currently everything below the 970 worth buying is AMD or used.

And for cards above the 980 there is a different problem, they simply don't have any single gpu solution that can produce 60FPS avg at 4K and it won't happen with a 980ti / Titan 2 (or whatever they will be called) either and it gets worse:

Depending on the price of a 980ti 2x 970 (or even 2x 980) will be a much better deal.

Only upside to a new Titan and even then only if we are lucky will be 3440x1440 potentially being possible with a single gpu, but there are only like three people with 34" 21:9 screens anyway.

Last edited: 31 Dec 2014
  8. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Yeah going from a 780 or 780Ti to a GTX980 is not worth it, even with cutting the power usage down and a extra 1Gb of Vram.

I want my next cards to have 6Gb or 8Gb of Vram to cope with the stupid amount of Vram required for the latest games at 4K.

9. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

I run at 4k with 2 970s. What are you struggling to make playable?

10. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

I think it's unlikely we'll see a 980ti or some new Titan variant for a while, at least not with a new GPU. Those won't come until GM200 arrives, and that'll come first to Quadro and Tesla lines. Seeing as GK210 was only recently unveiled, I can't imagine GM200 arriving anytime soon.

Depending on what AMD's upcoming refresh brings (and how far back the actually new 390x is pushed) Nvidia may respond with a clock-bumped 980 if AMD put out a similar clock-bumped 'big Tonga Pro'.

11. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Most games although it's down to poor development and low Vram, I also think my motherboard is a issue as it won't let me overclock my cpu.

The multiplier is stuck and 40x and cannot be changed, but I am planning on new cards in March and if I have enough then I will also be going X99.

At the moment though I am pretty much only using my Xbox One for gaming and pc for media streaming.

12. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

13. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

I concur. More likely CPU limited or PCI-E bandwidth perhaps? (Although should be x16 gen 3 on that mobo) Or another issue. 780ti sli should be plenty.

In Star Citizen @ 4k very high settings - VRAM usage is around 3GB for me.

As I say, I am running 4k and have not had any problems, even with ancient games. Can you be more specific about which games?

14. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

The games are modern AAA titles, where they use far more Vram than they should given the level of detail in the textures etc.

I have noticed that the Vram usage being low and then rising quite quickly and just hitting 3Gb even at 1080p, but the likes of Crysis 3, Battlefield 4 and a few others stay around the 1.6Gb mark at 1080p but as soon as I crank it up to 4K then the Vram just maxes out and the stutter and frame drops start.

COD 4 and Minecraft run quite smoothly, with COD hitting over 100fps with little stutter and Minecraft running the BDCraft texture pack runs at over 80fps.

I think maybe the cpu is holding the cards back as it's running at 4.0Ghz at the moment and the graphics are running at PCI-E 2.0 8x, 8x as the MSI board won't let them run at any other speed.

If I wasn't going to be looking at upgrading in March then I would swap the board to somet else but for now it's just not worth the hassle, but my next board will be EVGA as Asus, MSI and Gigabyte have all lost me for motherboard purchases until they start producing boards with good reliability.

15. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Damien, there is your problem. Nothing to do with the CPU being at 4Ghz, which is plenty.
    x8,x8 @ 2.0 cannot handle 4k sli gaming; when the bus becomes choked, the stuttering starts. Your pushing too much data down your lanes!

Your cpu can only run at 2.0. Your next upgrade should be whatever is required for x16,x16 @ 3.0. The Sandybridge PCIE 2.0 is what is killing your experience.

Disabling SLI will probably provide a better experience at 4k, ironically. Your board is rated to run at x16 on two slots so you could take your sound card out to run x16, x16 @ 2.0, which may be better.

Last edited: 2 Jan 2015
  16. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Ideally, games should use as much vRAM as is available. Tthere is simply no reason NOT to preload and cache every texture that even might possibly be used. Free vRAM is wasted vRAM.

Assuming 8bpc 4 channel (RGBa) buffers, a 4k buffer takes up 31.6MB. With 4gb vRAM, you could have 10 4k buffers (more than any game would use, even with deferred rendering, extra viewports, and multi-frame motion blur), and still have 3.7gb vRAM left for textures.

It is unlikely that PCI-E bandwidth or CPU performance is having any appreciable effect on framerate. It is purely down to GPU performance.
    While quadrupling the resolution does not exactly quadruple the GPU load (per-pixel operations are quadrupled, but some things that are vertex-based are not scaled directly), it is the only component impacted by resolution increase, all else being equal. the PCU is still performing the same number of physics and geometry calculations, and the RAM and PCI-E bus are still passing the same number of textures at the same resolution.

17. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

I would say that PCI-E bandwidth in conjunction with SLI in this case is the problem. The example you hyper-linked is a bandwidth test on a single card. I have seen SLI do this on a few occasions, when there is not enough bandwidth for both cards (sharing the "same" VRAM I might add) the framerate dips and stutters all over the place.

Also, there is no explanation then why damien is having so much trouble, if indeed you are right!

18. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

My board should run at 16x, 16x but even when I take out 1 card and the sound card which I don't use anymore the single card still only runs at 8x.

When I get chance at the weekend I will roll the bios back if I can actually get in to it, since the Click 2 Bios software doesn't work and the software in Windows to force the board in to the bios doesn't work, and I never see the post screen as it only takes around 5 seconds from pressing the power button to being, in Windows.

I may just have to leave it till the end of the month and try and grab a different cheap board and see what happens, as I know my CPU will work at PCI-E 3.0 16x, 16x as it worked at that in my old Rampage IV Extreme.

Either way I am still waiting for the GTX980Ti's to come out before I buy any new cards and will grab 2 or 3 of them.

19. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

The 3930k is sandybridge no? You need Ivybridge or newer for 3.0...

20. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

No, in the desktop space the 3xxx series are IVB. 2xxx are Sandy Bridge and 4xxx are Haswell.
    In SLI 16x 8x should still not be an issue, for PCI-E 2.0 or 3.0.

It really is just that running at 4K with everything turned up high is hard on GPUs for games that really push effects (shader effects in particular) to the limit. Older games, or games that don't have as many effects, will work fine.