1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant US English

Discussion in 'General' started by Cupboard, 15 Sep 2008.

1. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Does this annoy anyone else?
    [​IMG]

If they go to the effort of putting all those different languages there, they could at least sort out English properly. Whilst I can understand the American *******isation of our language, I would appreciate people respecting us Brits enough to actually use our language.

Adobe are even worse, with US "English" and International English. What about English English? Is that too much to ask?

2. lujucto

lujucto What's a Dremel?

I think it's so the Americans know which language to pick... if it just said English they might get stuck looking for "American" hmm

3. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Why should they? It doesn't make economic sense to spend time making a translation that has only slight differences from the American version. If it bothers you so much, write to them and offer to make a British language pack yourself.

Read any history of American English (e.g. Bill Bryson's Made In America) and you'll realise how many terms that you consider to be part and parcel of "British English" have actually been imported from the States. If you want to speak 'our' language, go and read some Chaucer.

4. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

^ This post wins a LOL.

5. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

Colour.

6. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Tbh, I can kind of understand that. British English simply isn't included because it doesn't make economic sense to. It's not exactly a great leap of understanding for us to simply use American English, even if it is inferior :p

What does get right on my tits is when you get "English" listed with an American flag next to it. That's bang outta line that is.

7. kempez

kempez modding again!

I do kind of agree it should perhaps just say "English", but let's be honest: our 'British' English is so adaptable and full of other languages (inc 'US' English), linguistically speaking that having a British English option is pretty moot.

8. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

So where is Chinese? Would make more sense to include that.

Brits are fully able to understand "US English" and it's meaningless to have both. Besides, there is lots of other languages to put in there that would make more sense...

9. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

It's a computer program; the worst you could possibly have to read are those horrible "centers"

10. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

English Canada, English United Kingdom, English United States, are not the same.
    For example:
    In Canada you can say "colours", but in the US it's "colors"

11. woof82

woof82 What's a Dremel?

I was just about to say that!

12. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Stop that. You guys are causing unnecessary wear on the "u" key.

But seriously, is it that big of a deal? The entire HTML/CSS spec is based around US English. There's no <centre> tag, nor a non-deprecated equivalent of style="text-align:centre;"

The reason they even specify is probably due to the internationalization language codes. Requests are made for language-DIALECT (en-US, en-GB, fr-FR, fr-CA, etc), not just the language straight-up. And given that our population is 5x bigger (and, on the whole, 5x dumber), it makes quite a bit of economic sense.

13. kempez

kempez modding again!

True: we can understand and assimilate it with no issue at all

Yes, we all know the difference I think by now, it's just that some give a **** more than others

Yep, as was kinda said above: spot on

Ninja edit: love the replacement for the four letter swear word for excrement by the way, good job :D

14. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

I think "Up yours" and pick Italian. It's worth the minor inconveniences.

15. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

what i dont get is why they dont call each language by what its called in that language.
    Makes about as much sense as vegetables at a barbecue :)

16. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

I suppose so, yes, I hadn't though of that. If you can't read English (US or not) then you could be a bit stuck by that.
    That said they must have access to a dictionary or something, it isn't that hard.

If you look at Spanish, they have (Spain, International sort) what is that about? I suppose they could have (US, International sort) after English to signify that US English is the most common type on the intertubes but it does seem a bit redundant.

17. ufk

ufk Licenced Fool

That's because there are two types of Spanish, Castilian Spanish and Latin American Spanish, it's the same difference between US English and English, the American versions are basically the languages that went over in the 16 & 17th century with the colonists whereas the European languages have evolved in a different direction, I believe Afrikaans and the Flemish/Dutch languages went through the same thing.

Last edited: 15 Sep 2008
  18. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

I've seen quite a few installers have "English (UK)" instead of "English (United States)." It just varies, don't really see it as a problem as long as there's proper grammar and correct spelling of words from either English.

Although, if you think about it, if they did a "English (US)" and "English (UK)" by default.. they might make a "French (CA)" and "French (FR)" and god knows how horrid that'd be.. o.o

Though it could potentially be funny.. I think I'd get quite a kick out of it.. Hmm..

19. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Phone them up with your best american accent and ask to speak to an English English/English US translator, then ask to return the software as it is not available in your language, act dumb if they try to fob you off with any "it's only a few letters" differences.

20. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

fanny pack

Tags: