1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows iRacing... are you an iRacer?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by feathers, 19 Jun 2012.

1. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I will start by saying I have always detested games you pay a monthly fee for. You would never get me on world of w*nkers or that space game for example. I also said the same about iRacing... why would I wanna pay for it again and again when I can race 07 for a one time payment?

Having watch some iRacing videos recently including...

I must say I actually do get it now. You're paying for precision laser scanned tracks and I guess the physics are pretty accurate and racing against real drivers. Put in that context, the monthly fee doesn't seem so expensive nor does the one time track purchase fee.

I haven't signed up for it yet and maybe I won't but what is your experience/feedback of it?

Just checked Nvidia control panel and I note that iRacing is 3d vision ready which is a big plus for me cos I am used to racing with 3d glasses.

Last edited: 19 Jun 2012
  2. digitaldunc

digitaldunc What's a Dremel?

Not played and not a huge racing game fan, just wanted to post and say that the video was really interesting.

Maybe with a bit more gusto that fella could be really good on the track -- obviously pretty understandable he was timid considering he'd never driven before.

3. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Timid and a bit introverted perhaps. Too much time racing in his bedroom alone.

:)

4. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

I am an iRacer. I've spent over $800 since joining. Not cheap, but it's bloody fantastic when you're in a good race with good racers.

I don't really have time for it these days, though.

5. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Oh

my

fecking

god

Over $800? How long have you been driving? The monthly fee isn't expensive is it? $7.50 or something? I know you have to pay for tracks... is that where the money goes?

6. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

I got a warning off a mod for censoring a swear word, apparently it's not allowed.

iracing is quite serious stuff bit too geeky for me, I just like to have fun in a game.

7. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I will avoid censoring swear words in future :)

8. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

I've been in iRacing since the beta, so a long time now. I've also got most of the tracks and cars, and that all adds up :)

9. feathers

feathers Minimodder

How much do they charge for cars?

I saw the tracks were about $15.

I guess $800 is still far cheaper than racing the real thing. Spend on a few days out at a race track and you will reach $800 quickly.

10. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

Yeah, I've spent a lot more than that on real car fun in the same period.

I think I've been on iracing since 2008. That's 4 years at around £100 a year. Tracks are £15 each and cars are £10-25 each, IIRC.

I have no regrets on the money spent, but I think the next 12 months will see iRacing look fairly out-of-date if they don't add weather and more versatile racing. rFactor2 is out shortly, and it's already fantastic in Beta form. Also there's assetto corsa which is set to be great.

11. feathers

feathers Minimodder

How shortly rFactor 2?

Not even heard of Asseto until you mentioned it...

12. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

rfactor 2 is in 'open beta' (it's a pre-order bonus, so not really open) - and they have no release date set. They 'hope' that it's this year.

I reckon mid 2013.

Corsa is the new game by the NetKar Pro people - nKP is my favorite racing sim - it feels spot on. Nobody seems to play it online though :(

13. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I'd have to be really into rfactor to pay full whack for a game in beta especially since the original game would never work properly with the steering. The force feedback centering was reversed making the game unplayable.

£27.96 it costs for the beta.

14. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

iracing is just ridiculously expensive. That said the tracks are all laser scanned, the cars are extremely well modeled. Personally i do not like it. I dont like that way it feels, or the layout of the HUD or pretty much anything else about the sim. I have tried to persevere with it but it just does not Gel with me.

Rfactor, GTR2 , PnG , GT Legends is just amazing. Rfactor 1 is still going very very strong and it has plenty of life left in it yet.

Graphics mean nout to sim racers.

Im very much looking forward to Assetto Corsa and GTR3 .

15. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

They was running NKPro over at Race2play for a bit. They was even giving it away for free with a premium subscription. But as you say not many played it, although i agree with you where the physics etc are just so damn spot on.

Assetto Corsa will defo be run there for sure. I think it will get the intrest this time round!!

16. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I still don't get the fuss with the original rFactor. The first time around it would not work right with my wheel. FFB centering was reversed so the wheel would pull away from the center and try and crash you into a wall. I know I wasn't the only one who had that issue and it wasn't just the with logitech I had. I now use Fanatec and the FFB centering is the same with that. I didn't like the arcade style menus either.

I really like the Simbin ones and have no issues with those.

17. silky

silky What's a Dremel?

Cool video

18. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

Why didn't you just put the force feedback to -100% (or visa-versa). It's not a bug, it's you not understanding that rFactor is essentially an engine, not a 'game', and the mods you're using will all probably be set up differently, so require you to tweak the settings to get the best out of them.

Simbin games are based on G-Motor (which is the rFactor Engine, made by ISI, the creators of rFactor).

-a

19. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I am dumb.

So who has purchased the rfactor 2 beta and what is the verdict?

20. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

I have, and it's bloody ace. Not much content yet, but it'll get there.