1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays New 24 inch display ideas please.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by angel_dust, 2 Dec 2012.

1. angel_dust

angel_dust What's a Dremel?

Hi all

I've been thinking about replacing my old Dell 2407-HC wfp monitor.
    The 24 inch screens that I've been looking at so far are.

Dell UltraSharp U2412M

and

Dell UltraSharp U2410

I'm just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the two that I have mentioned or are there any other screens that I should maybe look at. Are there any known problems that I should be aware of or anything else you can think of.

Cheers.;)

2. TheCherub

TheCherub Minimodder

I've had the U2412M for about a month now. Stunningly good monitor for the money imho. If I was going to make one negative comment it's that it takes a little while to wake up when it's been in its power saving mode compared to my old Del 1907FP (now being used as a secondary monitor).

TBH though it's a pretty minor thing considering how good everything else is for the money (I paid about £220)

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Both monitors are excellent. Obviously the more expensive one is better in terms of image quality, and build quality. In my book, both are excellent value for your money.

The U2410 has the following differences.
    + True 8-bit per channel panel (compared to 6-bit)
    + H-IPS panel instead of eIPS panel
    + 12-bit color processor and 10-bit Look Up Table, providing the ability to display 10-bit colors via DisplayPort (NOTE: compatible graphic card, OS, drivers, program, and of course content is required). While this feature will most likely not interest you, it will provide you with better color reproduction due to the color processor, and Look Up Table everywhere
    + Pre-calibrated AdobeRGB and sRGB color profiles, with report
    + Significantly more color adjustment options under the Custom color profile mode.
    + High grade CCFL back light providing stunning whites, which helps provide great colors everywhere. Same back light as what your Dell 2407-HC wfp is using now. White-LED outputs a blue-tint on everywhere, especially visible on black and white, and white content.
    + HDMI, Component, second DVI, and composite connections
    + Picture-in-Picture
    + Side-by-side picture-in-picture
    + 1:1 pixel Mapping
    + Faster pixel response time

- Due to the CCFL back light, the monitor produces more heat and consumes more power than LED back light. But you should be used to that, as this is what you have now inside your Dell 2407-HC wfp.
    - U2412M has better contrast due to the white LED back light, as the backlight is at the bottom of the screen, and not directly behind the panel, as are CCFL's
    - Due to the color processor, the monitor has a larger input lag than the U2412M, however it will be much less then your current Dell 2407-HC wfp.

It must be noted:
    > The Dell U2410 is more closer in term of features than your Dell 2407-HC wfp. So if you are used to the Dell 2407-HC wfp, you'll enjoy better the U2410.

> You came from a S-PVA panel. An IPS panel, will be a downgrade in terms of black. S-PVA is able to block really well the back light. While the U2412M will provide you with better blacks, you won't have the "ink-black" color that you are used to from the S-PVA panel. Also, a common issue in IPS panel, is on a full black screen (not visible on wide screen content), on the 4 corners of the monitor, you'll see some back light coming out of it a bit. This is normally not an issue (and miles better than a TN panel), however as you come from a PVA panel, I feel its important to mention.

4. Silent_Raider

Silent_Raider What's a Dremel?

GoodBytes knows what he is talking about :D

A lot comes down to what you will be using it for as well. I own 4 Dell U2412m's and am very happy with them. I used 3 for gaming in a 3x1 portrait setup, and the other attached to my MacBook pro for photo editing. I have them all color calibrated, and they are gorgeous. My only issue is that they are not the 30" Dells :eek:

5. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

One question: why limit yourself to 24"? A couple of years ago I bought two 24" NEC montiors (for photography) and I really regretted not getting a 27" or 30" IPS for less money, so I ended up with a U3011 for a while earlier this year, and I'm really keen to get a U2711 now.

I would strongly recommend looking at 27" monitors if your budget can stretch (£400 for refurb, £500 new). Well worth the money.

6. kissinger

kissinger Minimodder

This is all really good advice but I would take issue with the TN panel comment. The 2312 I had had way more backlight bleed (actually it just looked like backlight bleed, it was more to do with anti-glare coating) than my old TN panel, which wasn't a particularly high-end TN either.

7. GoodBytes

You are confusing the glare effect form IPS panel (which is amplified by the non-glossy film) and backlight. Assuming your U2312 didn't have a manufacture error, of course.

If you put a wide screen movie, you should not see any light at the bottom or top of the screen on the black bars, which you see on the great majority of TN panels.

8. kissinger

kissinger Minimodder

Yeah I guess my point doesn't relate to backlight bleed. Either way though it sure did look like bleed and it's not apparent on my TN screen.

That said, colours are way more vibrant on IPS and you can make out the finer details on IPS too. TN screens are a bit blurry.

9. GoodBytes

To have it diminished you need to go on high end professional grade IPS monitors, as the panel itself is polarized , a very expensive procedure. Alternatively, a PVA panel will solve this, but then you'll complain about ghosting and the slow responsiveness of the panel.

We can't win, there is always a downside. :/

10. angel_dust

angel_dust What's a Dremel?

Thanks for all the great feedback GoodBytes. Its much appreciated.:thumb:

11. GoodBytes

Your welcome! anytime!
    I hope you'll enjoy your new monitor. Please provide us feedback, once you receive it.

12. kissinger

kissinger Minimodder

True, true.