1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Broadband speeds!!!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by Kanester, 2 Jul 2011.

1. Kanester

Kanester Quake God.

Just moved into my new house and I can't believe how slow the internet here is. I struggle to play youtube videos with out them stopping. I'm paying for 20mb Sky Broadband but I am downloading at 750kb/s. IS there anything I can do to improve these speeds. Took me 30hrs to download Rift the other day.

Ive Had a look on a few website about the speeds but I thought I would ask for some advice on here as alot of you know what your talking about.

This was from the ADSL BT Checker:
    on Exchange TONYPANDY

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 1Mbps. However due to the length of your line the 1Mbps service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 1Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 250Kbps and 2Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 2Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1.5Mbps and 4Mbps.

The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.

Thank you for your interest.

Am I stuck with these speeds?
    Thanks.

2. tehBoris

tehBoris What's a Dremel?

How far are you from your exchange?

3. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

oh god your in cardiff just get virgin fibre and be done with it. I went to uni their and the ADSL is pants as is horribly overcrowed mean even if your line was ok you would never have a good connection

also 750kb/s download would be a 7.5mb connection.

4. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

750kb/s isn't a bad speed in this country.

5. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

One big speed killer is the cable fromyour socket to the modem. This needs to be as short as possible,I have had best results with leads of about 0.5m from the master socket. Use cat 5 for the longer runs to your PCs

6. sleepygamer

sleepygamer More Metal Than Thou

750kb/s is the same as ~93KB/s (capitalisation matters, here) which is closer to a 1 megabit connection. (Edit: Actually about 0.7mb/s. Derrrrp.)

750KB/s would be able a 6mb connection.

I get ~4.4MB/s on a 40mb connection. (That's actually using about 35mb/s there, though.)

Care to clear it up, Kanester? 750kb/s, or 750KB/s? The former is... okay for anything other than downloading, the latter is pretty decent by the UK's standards.

7. Kanester

Kanester Quake God.

On http://www.speedtest.net/ my download speeds are 0.80mbps and I'm not in Cardiff Anymore, Moved up to the Rhonda Vally. These must be alot lower than average?

8. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

If you're downloading at 750 KB/s then all I have to say is "You lucky, lucky *******"!

I'm stuck with a 2 mb/s connection as the other options cost a shedload more. No LLU on my exchange, legacy contracts are the only ones without FUP and if I go to 8 mb/s then I hit the monthly limit in a day or so. For twice the price plus extras, just for shits and giggles.

OK, so my ISP has recently decided that my connection really ought to be ADSL max and given me 6.4 mb/s off peak but I'm generally at work at that time. Peak speeds? 0.25 to 1 mb/s if I'm lucky. I'm still trying to figure out where on earth 6.4 mb/s comes from as the exchange is just over the road and my line attenuation is 4 dB/2 dB down/up?

9. sleepygamer

sleepygamer More Metal Than Thou

0.8mb/s is terrible when you are paying for 20mb, but is in line with what the ADSL checker said. You must be 4km or so from the exchange. Talk to Virgin or BT, see if they offer Fibre to Home or Fibre to Street options. We are on the latter, with BT Infinity, and it rocks fairly hard. We went from being 6km from the exchange, with a stable 0.5Mb/s line, to a stable 40Mb/s line. Insane.

10. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

Lucky git. That is all.

11. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

Is Virgin an option for you?

12. rular

rular What's a Dremel?

bethere.co.uk give it a try!

13. greypilgers

greypilgers What's a Dremel?

Heh... You ain't seen nothin'. I live in bum-f*ck-nowhere and there are times when my 'broadband' actually struggles to get to the dizzying heights people used to get with dial-up modems... I can send letters quicker than I can send an email at times...

I'm actually moving solely because of the need for decent broadband! Ha!

14. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

Done that recently with our offices. Went from 1.6mb to 19mb.

15. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

Sounds like you have a 1 meg connection, well that sucks.

I'm on 2 megs which also sucks, really hate having to download large files overnight.

I think it will be a while before BT infinity get here, I live out of town.

I would but it seems a bit drastic for 1080p pron. :)

16. greypilgers

greypilgers What's a Dremel?

HD pron is the ONLY way to fly, my friend...

LoL...

;)

17. sompo

sompo What's a Dremel?

i have same problem with Kanester...just imagine i have to wait 30 minutes to open Facebook.....and yahoo take 1 hours.....can you imagine how slow is it?

18. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

My entire town is restricted to 8Mb tops because BT are tightwads and haven't stuck fibre optics in, we're stuck on 4Mb and that means in real terms 400KB/s sometimes, 450KB/s on a very good day but generally 400 or below.

Unless you're paying for fibre optic broadband you're going to get misquoted speeds all the time because ADSL sucks with its current loading.

19. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

*sigh*

Tightwads? Have you contacted any other company whom offer fibre services throughout the UK or complained about them not putting service into your area at all? Or do you just bitch about BT?

I'm also guessing you have considered that BT have a service requirement to leave copper in.

And you have definately considered that they are actually a business, with share holders and need to actually make money rather than just throwing it away?

20. profqwerty

profqwerty What's a Dremel?

I'm testing a satellite connection at work...in the storms yesterday was getting anywhere 2-8mbps DL and 0.5-2mbps UL, and ping of 700-900ms :lol: