1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Nothing's ever simple

Discussion in 'General' started by Cerberus90, 1 Apr 2013.

1. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Why is nothing ever simple!!

Not been out in my car for about a month, so wanted to have a play on something with my G25. Start scrolling through steam. F12010, not been on that for a while. Fire it up, need to install GFWL, fine, login, there's an update, downloads the update, then I have to quit to continue installing. While later and it's done but I'm now fed up and don't want to play it anymore.

So, GTR Evo, I know that works from the off without having to install other junk. Start that up, setup a race. Controls have decided to screw around, so throttle is on constantly, and none of the gears are correct. Go into control options only to be infuriated by the lag that only occurs inside the controls menu of GTR. No idea why it does this, but it makes changing the controls a laborious task, and again, I'm fed up and quit.

So now I'm on here ranting about why no driving game on the PC ever seems to be simple. Wondering whether to move the PS3 over and go on GT5, but also thinking that there'll probably be an update for that too that'll take half an hour to download.

Why can't anyone make a game that just starts, and works from the go, without having to install a ton of other junk, or setup the controls properly because the default ones are wrong?

Rant over.....for now, :D

2. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

I agree! I hate that "Your game is out of date, lemme just download and install 6,3 gb of patches. Please come back in: 2 weeks."

The only game I regularly play that requires patches are LoL, and those patches are the fast <10 minute ones.

If you only want to play single player in a game, it should not need patches.

3. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Nothing's ever simple :thumb:

Unicorn likes this.
  4. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

GT5 is possibly the most boring and over-hyped driving game ever. I loved all of the previous ones but they just didn't do enough for this one. Get an xbox and Forza!

5. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

I do, I have Forza 3 and 4, and loved them, but I can't use my G25 with it. Agree with you 100% on GT5, maybe not the 'most boring', but it certainly disappointed me when I got it at release. And it's certainly not the worst driving game ever, that honour will always remain with NFS Undercover, which I still haven't been able to finish due to a game crashing bug in the main quest line, terrible physics, terrible input/control mechanisms and over blurred graphics.

There isn't really my perfect driving game out. What I want is a mixture of Forza, Test Drive, GT and NFS games. Something which you can just pick up and play if you want, or also play more seriously should you want to.

TDU2 nearly made it, but then failed.

It would nearly be less hassle for me to just go out for a drive in my real car, but that would mean moving two other cars, getting mine out the garage (which it's in sideways atm), and then probably having to wash it afterwards to get rid of all the road salt. :D

Might get GT5 out and zip round the ring a few times. Trouble then is deciding what car to use, then usually what variant of the 100 different models, then having to tune the car and set it up so it drives properly, :D

Usually do all right with apostrophes but as I was ranting, it got overlooked, :D :D

Last edited: 1 Apr 2013
  6. moose67

moose67 Minimodder

Strange that you experience problems in the menu. GTR is one of the few games that I have very little to complain about. The G25 works so well in game, especially with the F3000 cars, simply awesome fun :D

7. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

When I've faffed around and set it up, yes, it works great.

I had a long stint a while ago on it, and was really enjoying it, even the AI isn't too bad. But then, coming back to it, I think after a windows reinstall, it seems to have messed stuff up somehow.

I'm sure when I first got GTR, I didn't get any lag in the controls menu, but then, it just started happening, and has been the same ever since. It's only in the controls menu though, everywhere else is fine. And it's a really annoying lag, as it's input lag, so you click the mouse, and nothing happens, you have to almost hold the mouse button down to make it click, and keep the mouse perfectly still.

The only thing I have against GTR, is that because it's a proper sim, it's harder just to have a casual drive on it, it's not really for that anyway, so I can't really criticise it, :D.

Had a blast round the ring on GT5 earlier. And I didn't have to set anything up, everything just worked. Yes I had two updates, but they didn't take too long. Then, in game, G25 works fine, apart from having to always make sure the clutch is 100% pressed down.

Really wish TDU2 had been more of a success, could have been an epic game if they'd got it right.

8. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Nfs2 and your wheel is a great combo.

Will it be great right of the bat? No. You do need to tinker with the settings a bit to get it to feel hooked up. But once it's done it's Well worth it.

Amazing game that gives a really nice between realism and arcade.

Good luck in your quest for the simple :)

9. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

yeah, got shift 2. Not got around to re-installing it with the community patch and the "can't remember the name" mod. Probably get around to it sooner or later.

10. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I play GT5 for an hour every 3-4 months. I drive a few laps around the ring and I'm done. I really love it but I don't have enough cars and getting money for new ones is a pain in the ass so I don't bother

11. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I feel the OP's pain. Nothing quite like trying to start a game after a hard day's graft only for it to install a 2GB+ patch.

Howver, the need for consoles to do this as well is laughable. I thought that was one of the advantages of consoles - no patches!

12. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

That's what I love about Steam.

Turn the PC on, start on cleaning the house & feeding cats, come back and everything is updated.

(Would have added getting started on dinner, but i'm banned from the kitchen on the grounds I'll burn the house down)

13. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Certainly makes patching easier.

But still doesn't do anything about the scourge that is GFWL, which some titles also use.

Suppose I should be all right now as I've installed it, must have not gotten around to running a GFWL game since I reinstalled windows for my SSD.

Things should get easier after tommorow, as we're upgrading to fibre optic broadband, so no more 2.5Mb/s downloads, should be getting 38Mb/s, :D