1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Almost Certainly a Scam - Ebay GTX 980 Ti

Discussion in 'General' started by LennyRhys, 6 Mar 2016.

1. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Now this really annoys me. At first it seemed like a pretty reasonable listing for some nice hardware, but when I read the description and saw that the seller wants cash payment for the item, things started to look very shady indeed.

Three things occur to me:

• asking for cash payment is strictly in breach of ebay policy
    • the picture is not of the actual item being sold
    • it's a 12 hour listing, so far less likely to be removed by ebay admin
    Naturally I've reported the item and I've also messaged the seller in the hope that it's a genuine mistake on his/her part, but I really doubt it, and my fear is that whoever buys the item will lose £400ish unless they have the presence of mind to pay by Paypal in spite of the seller's very crafty request ("bank transfer due to value").

/rant

2. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Reported as well :D

3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I see it all of the time. Just some A hole that wants to get out of paying the fees.

I never, ever buy something without using Paypal. Last year I bought an office chair and the seller wanted paying by BT. I contacted him and he was actually a really nice guy. He explained that his margins were small and that his preferred way of doing business was face to face, but given how far away I was this was not possible so I paid with Paypal and chucked him the extra £15 to cover the fees. I couldn't really complain given I got a £900 chair for £240.

Most of the time though it is A holes who immediately become very irate when you question their ethics.

4. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Wonders never cease - I got a reply from the seller, who incidentally claims the following:

"I'm new to selling on eBay so was unaware that I was unable to request payment by bank deposit"

Jury's still out as far as I'm concerned, but he/she could be legit. In any case, the 980 Ti sold for £441, which is no small amount!

5. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

So he or she is new to selling on ebay so persists to do so without reading the help section or goggling "how to sell on ebay"

Maybe legit reason but no excuse if you're selling high value parts

6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

New to Ebay - 31 feedbacks. That's hardly new. 1-5 is new you soon learn the ropes.

Aaaaand it's gone.

Last edited: 7 Mar 2016
  7. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

That puts my mind at rest. Something fishy about the whole thing, and it's good to see ebay proved their worth by intervening.

8. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

You can have 1500 feedback and be new at selling.

Anyway, it's either a scam or a noon.

9. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Looked like a hacked account to my tired old eyes, the listing didn't match the style or format of owt else that they had sold