1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Welcome from the land of the rising sun

Discussion in 'General' started by ferret141, 17 Apr 2016.

1. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

I'm tired. So I'll keep this short. This could mean this post might not make sense in places. Also I'm better at answering questions than spilling. Feel free to ask me any question.

For those wondering about my absence i have two answers.
    2014/2015 I dropped my forum activity to focus on uni.
    Then in Sept. 2015 I went to study abroad in Japan.
    Still there, returning in August.
    Absence from the forum whilst in Japan had been compounded by the lack of a computing device besides a smartphone.
    Left MSI laptop to be sold with the intention of buying Surface Pro 4/Book once it sold. Also to serve as a tech detox.
    I was lent a C2D MacBook Air with 3/5 of a screen for a short period, Dec-Jan by a kind Dane.
    Laptop sold. Re-evaluated my needs in a computing device and finances (also realised the Book is already outdated tech-wise. Settled on ASUS UX501VW-DS71T. Sold out when I was about to pull the trigger. Maybe something to do with the ...-US71T SKU that was recently released.
    Bought DSLR from dorm-mate. Got talking about tech. Told him I was waiting for laptop to become available. Lent me his Lenovo X230t since he's not using it in favor of his Macbook. Waiting till I get back before I decide what to do tech wise.

American auto-correct is peeving me.

Been to Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Fukuoka, Miyazaki. Have plans to visit or return to Hiroshima, Nara, Kyoto, Osaka, Kagoshima, Kumamoto, Nagasaki.

Lived through the worst Japanese winter in recent history. Was trying to get back home in time after travelling to Saga for a homestay. 2hr journey took 12hrs due to cancelled trains/buses and delays.

Surviving the worst quake to hit Kyushu island in 100s of years. Spent the last two nights further up the hill in a sports arena. I'm in Beppu about 140km away from Kumamoto where it's going down. Nothing serious here. Mostly cracks in walls or plaster/pebble dash falling down in old houses. Safe and calm. Many students have bricked it and have flown to other cities far away on the other islands or even to their home countries. There was a Tsunami warning but it was a 1m surge on the west side; I'm on the east. Only worry had been landslides due to the disturbed earth and impeding storm. Storm didnt come in the end. Running low on energy. 4 hours sleep thanks to phone calls after staying up 24 hours the day before. All while battling the flu. I reckon I would be very positive about the quake experience if it wasn't for this ruddy insistent cough.

Long story shortened. I was away from forum due to uni and studying abroad in Japan. Having the time of my life and getting very unique experiences while I'm at it. Back to ol'Blighty in Aug. Sorry for the delirious rant and ramble. I'm sure there was unesscary waffle and important stuff missing but I'm gonna leave it as it is otherwise I'm never going to end up posting.

Oh by the way look what I was greeted with upon my return.
    [​IMG]

2. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

You sound as though you've had one hell of an experience and I'm envious. I wouldn't take the no messages thing personally - the Bit Tech forums are unfortunately not as active as they used to be.

3. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

It wasn't the messages. It was the 40 pages of new posts to sift through.
    Sad to here it has quietened down here :sigh:

4. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

Welcome back, Ferret-kun.

5. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

6. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Sounds like an awesome adventure!

7. Main Scratcher

Main Scratcher What's a Dremel?

Did you study any Japanese before you went? How often did you nod at every question you were asked when you were at the convenience store? Speak a little Japanese myself but had troubles with this all the time in the beginning. Yes and No questions were constantly met with a nod from me :)

Where in Japan are you studying? I am too old for being an exchange student but glad to hear you are having the time of your life!

8. Xir

Xir Modder

Sounds great, well worth a little downtime on the forum :D
    Make some nice pictures to show us when you get back! :thumb:

9. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Ooo lots of jealous. My wife and I did a 2 week trip to Japan earlier this year and visited Tokyo (Shiodome area - Tsukiji fish market...), Takayama, Hiroshima (LOVE that place, especially Miyajima), Nara, and Kyoto (Nishiki Market - Wow).

We're already planning a return trip