1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Z77 LGA1155?

Discussion in 'General' started by Mr_Mistoffelees, 9 Dec 2016.

1. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

At some point, early next year, I am going to want to find a used motherboard to replace one that expired yesterday. Any thoughts on availability of LGA1155 Z77, H77, or any board that will be happy to run with an i5 3570K?

Not posted in Marketplace as I am not ready to buy yet and may go for an alternative solution. At present using an old LGA775 board with a Core 2 Duo E7500 and 4GB of ram, which is faster than I expected it to be.

2. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

I wish you luck, i've been trying to find a micro atx or mini itx h77 or z77 board as well. They're still very expensive because a lot of people still use the 3570k and it's a famously great overclocker. My H77 board seems to be failing, which is why I desire to replace it.

3. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Z77 boards are brutally expensive, especially smaller form factors. The prices are crazy. Good luck!

4. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Cut your losses and move on is my opinion. Sell what you have left over to move up to 1151 :thumb:

5. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

That's probably the best move. Considering the prices I could get for my Z77 stuff I'm half tempted to sell it and make the move myself.

6. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I think I'd have to have a very good reason for sticking with s1155 to justify spending the sort of money required on a "new" (OK, second-hand) Z77 board. Pookie is spot on here.

7. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

FWIW I went though looking for Z77 ITX a few years ago, and bought used Z87 kit for less money.

Seems a shame to 'waste' Sandy or Ivy 'K' CPU's capabilities, but the moment has passed it seems.

8. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Makes you wonder if its worth buying a two boards when you upgrade, keep one as spare in case of failure or more likely be able to sell it for double the price when said socket goes obsolete.

9. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

That's why I've decided to keep my AsRock Z170 Extreme4, my main rig is rocking the AsRock Z170M OC Formula but seeing as safe is better than sorry and with the Extreme4 being a great all round board anyway...

10. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Well, after a great deal of thought and looking online, I've decided to go with new parts. As suggested above Z77 motherboards cost too much and I'm not paying well over £100 for a used board on the Fleabay or Amazon, with no knowledge of the boards history (is it about to go the same way as mine?).

In order to get all new parts with warranty and within a very tight budget, this was not a good time for something to go tits up, I am going with AMD, for the first time since I upgraded to an Athlon 64 3200, many years ago. 3570K incoming at the Marketplace soon. Will be sorry to see it go.

11. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

I'm waiting for the money to upgrade but i'm struggling with my choice. Z97 boards are basically defunct now that Skylake is a thing and the prices are likely to go up and up. A decent setup with motherboard, DDR4 16GB and a CPU is likely to be around £400 at this point unless I find a really good deal.