1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mod Update Steampunk Mechanical Keyboard Mod (COMPLETE)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Quantum-192, 15 Mar 2017.

1. Quantum-192

Quantum-192 What's a Dremel?

I have wanted to do a mechanical keyboard mod project for a while now and after completing my steampunk case mod (Evie) last year it seemed the perfect time to have a crack at it.

My problem started with trying to find a high quality mechanical keyboard using Cherry MX Red switches that was not covered with rgb (almost impossible in this rgb fanatical period we are going through). In fact, I didn't want any key lighting on the keyboard at all. Finally, the keyboard had to be just a plank - no fancy curves or any other such additions.

The reason for needing just a basic oblong plank style keyboard is that my design idea was to have a walnut casing (containing the keyboard) sitting/supported inside a brass cradle.

Enter the Gigabyte Force K83 - basic plank, no lighting and Cherry MX Red switches.

[​IMG]

Key caps removed

[​IMG]

The switches on the K83 are plate mounted so all 104 switches would have to be unsoldered so that access to the metal plate could be achieved. The metal plate would be covered in black leather before having the switches replaced. Trying to cut around each switch would just look crap - it was going to have to be the hard, long and tiresome way for this part!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next step was the replacement keys. I was planning on using a set of keys by Datamancer but when I saw them I was very disappointed. For a set of key caps costing nearly £100 the finish quality was very bad indeed. The labeling was not straight and obviously had been printed on a laser printer using really cheap paper - plus I think the ink was running out half way through as some of them were faded. Not impressed. However, there are not that many options available.

There was nothing for it. 104 key strip down was needed and new labels created and printed.

[​IMG]

First design test pass resulting in several adjustments.

[​IMG]

All 104 keys now redone and placed in section bags.

[​IMG]

Now on to the switches. Problem here was the red of the Cherry MX switch showed when the new keycap was in place plus the switch bodies were obviously black plastic. Out with the airbrush and soon sorted. The switches now being antique bronze.

[​IMG]

Badge design for the keyboard linking the Evie keyboard Mod and Evie Case Mod together.

[​IMG]

Black leather now coating the steel switch plate and the Cheery MX's replaced.

[​IMG]

On the bottom of the K83 is a rather large and modern sticker - this would not do at all so a new one was designed and printed to be more in keeping with the steampunk theme. The test fit of the keyboard plank into the walnut frame is also shown in the second image.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now the basic work was done and the walnut cradle complete (other than treating with oil to bring out the colour and grain which would be done later), it was time to move on to the brass supporting cradle.

[​IMG]

Hand cutting and finishing all the brass components begins.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Test fit of side supports onto the walnut cradle.

[​IMG]

Basic cradle work complete and testing for square/trueness. A lot of brass polishing to come.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's it for now. In the next update will be the finsihing of the walnut cradle, assembly of the keyboard and the modding of the cable and plugs.

Last edited: 21 Apr 2017
  2. kim

kim hardware addict

Great idea, and great job, it looks like the famous Datamancer keyboard, I don't know if you know those high quality mechanical keyboard using Cherry MX switches, your's will be as beautifull and I guess it didn't cost you the amazing price of those...
    [​IMG]

3. Dot_Kappa

Dot_Kappa 100% Puppet

I think he knows... beause he bought keys from them.

Nice mod so far ;)

4. kim

kim hardware addict

ohh sorry...i don't know how I missed that part of the post, and it seems the quality was disapointing...very nice when re-done though

5. Quantum-192

Quantum-192 What's a Dremel?

Finally got to finish the Gigabyte Force K83 Steampunk Keyboard Mod.

Here are the final pictures of the build.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I must admit the process of undertaking a keyboard mod was a welcome change from my bigger case mod builds. For anyone wishing to do a keyboard mod I can highly recommend the Gigabyte Force K83 as a base unit to build around. Great build quality, Cherry MX Red switches and good key response specifications.

6. Cown

Cown Minimodder

Beautiful work!

7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll