1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Music Just want to check whether I am stupid or not (iTunes)

Discussion in 'General' started by Thatguy119, 23 Oct 2010.

1. Thatguy119

Thatguy119 Minimodder

Short story, I purchased a large quantity of music on itunes, my computer died, is there any way to get it back / download again or am I stuffed and have just lost £80 of music?

EDIT: just found the page on apple support site, last time I will ever use itunes store. Great way to encourage legal music downloads Apple.

2. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Probably worth firing an e-mail to their customer services, if you're lucky you might get a generous employee who'll sort you something out.

3. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Buying music from Amazon for the ultimate win. great quality, no DRM and unlimited downloads. Support up and coming artists!

4. Thatguy119

Thatguy119 Minimodder

Yeah, I will try and do that and avoid the ever tempting torrent. Good reason to buy legally is none of the torrents of the small artists I want are seeded so I cannot get tham at all. Apple will get an angry email, Amazon will get my custom.

5. alastor

alastor Minimodder

I shuffle between 7digital, play.com and Amazon depending on who's cheapest and offers the best quality.

6. Thatguy119

Thatguy119 Minimodder

Ah well, sombody felt sorry for me at customer service and let me download them again. Win overall then, but backups on its way.

7. rma

rma Minimodder

Hmm, that must be a recent change as they were single download only, using their own download application, last time I bought a digital album from Amazon.

8. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

Is there not something in the iTunes options about download pre-purchased content?

ninjaedit: - edit, Prefs, store, automatically download pre-purchased content. mabye??

9. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Interesting, I thought it was unlimited as well but just found this in the FAQ:
    7digital and play.com do however allow multiple downloads.

10. October

October Mariachi Style

I would have thought online retailers would have been pushing the download market a lot more by now. There's very little incentive as far as I can see to buy digitally, it's generally at the most a quid extra to buy a hard copy. Never mind the issues laid out here :duh:

11. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Buy CDs.
    I listen to an album on Spotify, or Rapidshare it if need be, and if I like it enough I'll buy the CD. I buy the odd song off Amazon though simply for convenience's sake.

12. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I do not want to defend iTunes, as I have many issues with iTunes, but to play devil's advocate, would you be able to get a replacement copy of a CD from the shop if you lost yours? No.

The problem here is that you do not back up your data. This is the equivalent of leaving your CD collection strewn all over the floor. Sooner of later, it will end in tears.

[edit]

Having said that.. you can re-download ebooks from Amazon. Still. Back up!!

Last edited: 25 Oct 2010
  13. chimmy09

chimmy09 What's a Dremel?

buy cd, import cd to computer, burn copy of cd. Now you have 2 hard copies of the music, and it is on your computer already so you dont even need the cd anymore(assuming you have an mp3 player of some sort)

14. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Email iTunes support and they can reflag everything for download again.

I mean everything.

Including those shitty apps you grabbed as a joke. And those podcasts. And the iTunes U stuff.

they will give you a speech about how it's "your responsibility to back up" your stuff, though.

15. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

has anyone asked the question is your HDD still ok ?

you said your PC died was it the HDD thats totally dead or just wont boot etc etc

16. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

To be brutaly honest it was completely your fault. This happened with one of my customers once, and it was a lot more than £80's worth of music (and music videos) that he lost. A few emails written by me and sent through his email account saying all the right things got him the same privelage as you - the opportunity to download them all again, once. I had both an incremental and weekly backup of all his documents, pictures, music and movies set up after that to make sure that it never happened again, and you should have the same.

Anyone who gives a damn about anything that is stored on their computer should have backups and redundancy in place. Why is it so hard for people to understand?

[edit]

Sorry, didn't read the thread and see that several other people have also mentioned the importance of backing up your data. They're right you know!

17. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

So far as I'm concerned, if your data isn't in three independent places, it's not backed up.

To the OP: 1TB HDD... £45. Buy one... and use it just for back up - meaning your music is also on your computer as well.

18. dangak

dangak What's a Dremel?

+1. I have to say I've always been put off by the possibility of losing all my one-off downloads, that's why I'm about to subscribe to Spotify Premium.

19. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Was going to say about this. Recently re-downloaded some stuff on the other half's itunes account after moving from laptop to a PC... unless its been removed in the latest and greatest version anyway?

20. Stotherd-001

Stotherd-001 Minimodder

Apple will pretty much always let you download all your tracks again, unless you're really taking the piss. They just say they don't to cover their asses when they realise you might be doing something fishy and can say no for no real apparent reason.