1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics How to test GPU overclock stability?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by debs3759, 3 Dec 2015.

1. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

I'll have a couple of GTX 580 arriving over the next few days and plan to overclock them for folding on. What is the best software to test for stability once overclocked?

I plan to install both, then test them individually, and assume a stress tester will be able to distinguish between the two cards (one is an EVGA reference card, the other an EVGA SC, if that makes a difference). I run 3 monitors (currently two are connected to a 550 Ti, the third to a GT 430) all at 1080p, although that won't affect the folding. The SC card will have the two monitors, the reference card the third.

2. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

heaven 4.0 benchmark, furmark

3. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

Thanks. Downloading now :)

4. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Don't bother with Furmark on a 580GTX. The card detects the test and throttles. Heaven works well though as it identified my faulty cards.

5. Isitari

Isitari Minimodder

You can disable the throttling on various programs (but not furmark) but be ready for each card to pull above the pci-e and 8 pin specification[emoji14]. Basically make sure your PSU is awesome ^^. There are a few utilities out there provided by the manufacturers that allow you to disable the limiter / throttling. If you use rivatuner server stats and get it to display so you can see if the limit is in place too.

6. MrGumby

MrGumby CPC 464 User

I thought the consensus was never to use Furmark these days? I used to fold back in the 8800GT days and that is a great program to test stability. Game stable overclocks and Folding stable overclocks can be quite different.

7. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

You can also use Unigine Valley for a change of scenery....