1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Windows 'Threshold' details leaked

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 10 Dec 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Apparently Microsoft update the lifecycle fact sheet recently to say retail sales of Windows 7 have ended, but OEM is still showing "To be determined"

3. Bede

Bede Minimodder

Given the inertia in the OS market (typing this from a work PC running XP) it seems futile to speed up the release pace. People like a stable base platform, from which the subsidiary software can be updated more regularly - ie Office and Adobe products.

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

People prefer shiny new things to play with more than a stable platform, company's on the other hand are the polar opposite preferring stability over new toys.
    This way phone, tablet user can beta test the new toys and when the bugs have been patched and its a stable platform it can be released to company's.

5. rollo

rollo Modder

Finally somebody at MS sees sence.

6. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Is that not what we have with W8? Maybe I'm just getting thrown by the Windows of old remark...

7. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

An article on TomsHardware states that the next iteration of Windows, 8.2 will feature the return of a full start menu. I know that some will see this U turn as an error on MS's part in the first place of removing it but it once again shows that they do listen these days and are making changes relevant to what it's customers actually want rather than telling them what to have. I like the direction MS seems to be taking from the past couple of years.

8. murraynt

murraynt Modder

I smell windows 8 mobile being cut.

9. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

nice to see how this comes out, I think the modern UI has its place quite frankly, I think MS just needs some more polish with it, especially on how it interacts with the classic desktop, I really hope they come up with something intuitive this time, I might not be looking forward to getting the start menu back, but rather they come up with a worthy successor and not a Frankenstein approach with Windows 8, heck, with what we have with Windows 8 they should have just given up the classic desktop instead of what it looks like now

10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

In this case, when I say "Windows of old" I mean "versions of desktop Windows older than Windows Threshold" - so yes, the middle tier will basically be the Windows Threshold equivalent of what we have on the desktop now.
    Funnily enough, it says the exact same thing in my article too. :p

11. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

'cough, cough' Are you sure that you didn't edit the article Gareth? :)
    I read the article on Toms first and was looking specifically for mention of it here. If not, I apologise, although I guess that I can't count me out from winning any of the Xmas comps. :p

12. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

If that happens, I'm going to be more than a little hacked off. Out of all phone OSs that I've used in recent years, WinMo8 is the best one by a considerable margin - more so recently, as I've noticed the number of available apps has gone up.

13. Gareth Halfacree

Absolutely certain - the article is untouched since it was published.

14. Asouter

Asouter --------

If there's one thing I'd like ms to do, it would be an OS that was purely design just for gaming, no thrills just a good rock solid OS that gets the most from all the systems resources.

15. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

Buy an Xbox One... in about 12 months time.

16. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Unfortunately that's a bit of a niche market. Most of us aren't looking to eek out that last, minute percentage of performance from a game, just get it running smoothly. :)

17. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

So MS wants a more frequent release cycle eh? Just one problem there... Microsoft has an inflated pricing policy and will never deviate from that except for the odd month when an OS is failing to reach sales targets.

Windows 8.1 = £99

OSX Mavericks = free.

Linux = free.

18. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

If I were MS I would fork OS into two very distinct branches... consumer and enterprise. Consumers and enterprises are such wildly different markets it makes no sense to keep having all these multiple partially overlapping OS variants. It's good to see they are finally moving this way.
    Mobile/nettop - merger RT and phone and support for Arm nettops
    Consumer - x64 only desktop OS with cutting edge rapid release, lightweight no enterprise features
    Server Home - ultra basic, remove all enterprise feature (no domain, active directory, group policy, etc, etc. so it's useless to business could even lock it down like RT for all I care as long as it was CHEAP) medium term support cycle
    Enterprise - x64 only desktop basic no metro with pro/enterprise features and long term support cycle
    Enterprise legacy - x86 only lightweight basic enterprise feature and long term support
    Enterprise Mobile/thin client - add enterprise feature
    Server Essentials - for basic roles and small business
    Server Datacenter

Last edited: 10 Dec 2013
  19. Gareth Halfacree

Lovely, but untrue. Mavericks is only free as an upgrade from selected previous OS X versions. If you're on an older system, you'll pay - assuming your Mac is even compatible. What's that? You don't have a Mac? Then not only is Mavericks most assuredly not free, you can't have it at all without breaking the user agreement - not for £99, not for £999.

Windows 8.1? Well, just like Mavericks, it's a free upgrade for anyone on a selected older version - in this case Windows 8. Got an older system? You'll pay to upgrade, yes, but at least Microsoft gives you that choice and doesn't lock the OS down to only pre-approved Microsoft-branded hardware.

But you were right about Linux being free. Well, unless you need commercial support, in which case you can expect to pay an annual fee.

20. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Not going to happen. Microsoft has already said that it plans to roll Windows Phone and Windows RT into one. In fact, the first all-Metro closed version of Windows that Gareth's article talks about? That's the new Windows Mobile, for phones, phablets and tablets.