1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Notch explains lack of Steam release for Minecraft

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 30 Aug 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Canon

Canon Reformed

It is quite good value for money come to think of it.

3. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Don't see any problem with it.

Being on steam would, as far as I'm concerned, give no advantages.
    And would probably make it harder to mod, or possibly more risky if steam thought you were doing something they thought you shouldn't be.

4. Jezcentral

Jezcentral Minimodder

Steam doesn't cause and problems with modding (I've done it plenty of times with Dragon Age, Torchlight etc), it's just a digital distribution service. I think you are confusing it with VAC, or anti-cheat programs, which completely different, and wouldn't be attached to a game like Minecraft anyway.

I think this is more to do with selling in-game, but not through Steam. (The same as EA).

5. Bede

Bede Minimodder

It is not to do with selling in-game - has there ever been any real hint of that happening with minecraft? It is the fact that there is a lot more hassle with updating - it's a little like Microsoft and Sony authentication for consoles - as well as the fact that Valve takes a cut of all Steam sales and Mojang is popular enough not to need Steam as a platform for sales.

6. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

What? Does anyone on here even bother to read the actual blog post from Notch? Instead of making things up to the best of your knowledge, get a primary source. The link is even in the article!

It is about selling things, although not necessarily in-game, and how Notch would want that controlled through minecraft.net, and not through Steam.

7. sakzzz

sakzzz Minimodder

" Minecraft is a sandbox game where players explore randomly generated worlds made of destructible blocks, which they can then rearrange and craft with to make their own buildings and devices. It's fun! "
    o_O .. Doesnt really sound like fun to me....Is it like playing with LEGO blocks?

8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

as long as they don't use a separate drm, i could care less and i don't see why anyone else should really care.

9. The Toy

The Toy The Ticking Time-Bomb

You mean you couldn't care less, right?

10. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

It's like playing lego together. Its FUN.

11. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Well, they do use a separate DRM. User accounts are effectively a way of restricting access of a single copy to a single player (or at least a single player using it at any given time). Just because it's not particularly intrusive doesn't mean it isn't there.

12. Bede

Bede Minimodder

Meh, I'll believe that nonsense about selling capes when I see it. You're right though, I should have read the primary source.

13. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

Steam seems to be going quite 'all or nothing' at the moment. The whole idea of making all DLC purchasable through steam is certainly riling up some of the big publishers (and the little ones). Steam's good, but I'd hate for it to grow much bigger than it is.

14. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

I've always wondered why Americans always get that wrong! (Don't know if schmidtbag is American but it's the phrase I always hear in American films and websites/blogs).

If you could care less then it means you do care! If you couldn't care less then you obviously don't care at all about something!

15. logonui

logonui Minimodder

This!

Spelling and grammar mistakes I can handle... this bugs the hell out of me!

16. Raijin

Raijin What's a Dremel?

Minecraft is one of the most awesome games I've ever played, brings back the massive lego tower days back when I was a kid lol.

17. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

im lost why they would be limited by steam. they dont have to use VAC. they dont have to to use steamworks.

18. David164v8

David164v8 Minimodder

^^ Yeah. It would just get them some extra exposure. I've already bought Minecraft but I would have bought it far sooner if it was on steam.

Tags: Add Tags