1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD rumoured to be slashing 2,000 jobs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 15 Oct 2012.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Ouch!

3. DbD

DbD Minimodder

Getting towards the end game if you are cutting that many - certainly they will have to leave a lot of markets as they won't be able to keep competing in all over them with less people.

It's gonna hit the Ati driver team hard, would worry if you are using xfire, eyefinity, old gen cards, or anything fancy.

4. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

****ing assholes! cos they never reached their projected 100billion trillion CLEAN PROFIT they will fire 2000 pple and ruin 2000 families lives!!!

why not just take 1% from the two top dogs at AMD and make double the savings as to fire 2000 ppl!

ASSHOLES!

5. CAT-THE-FIFTH

CAT-THE-FIFTH What's a Dremel?

6. dicobalt

dicobalt What's a Dremel?

Bulldozer did it. I sincerely hope AMD has a new architecture up their sleeve and not more Bulldozium 4. If they don't have something then someone is going to buy them out because they are loosing any sense of competitiveness where it really matters.

7. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

I love the way they're firing Engineers, those people who actually design the chips, even if the chips don't do that well. Soon AMD will have no Engineers and go "OH NOEZ! WE CAN'T DESIGN NEW CHIPZ!"

8. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

Democrat or person with no understanding of business? Wait, same thing.

Have you not noticed AMD execs have been leaving them as well? AMD is a sinking ship, constantly in the red. You have to earn money in order to run a business. Even if a CEO and top 5 execs take 1% of their salary for a year it would not cover the loses they have.

9. rollo

rollo Modder

AMD need a magic chip that blows everything Intel Arm currently have on the market, 1 for tablets 1 for desktops. They also need to get back some of the High end market ( Servers, Custom High End Rigs) These markets are now completely dominated by Intel. They have lost alot of customers in that range who paid big bucks for chips for Workstations and servers.

If in the next 2 years AMD does not produce a chip that can at least counter intels mid range series of chips the 3570k 3770k then they may as well say they are dead and wait a buyout from Apple or Samsung for patents and GPU tech. They are also fabless so dont even have a way to sell stuff to tide them over if the worst comes to worst

Intels 6 core Cpus are a lost cause for AMD and they will not get close this side of a miricle.

shares are at $2.7 per share which is nothing they are ripe for a buy out and if S&P have there way they will be in bigger issues Oct 18th is a big day in the history and survival of AMD.( This is day when they have to state there intensions for next quaters to shareholders including how they intend to fix there current losses)

10. rollo

rollo Modder

Market share in Consumer CPU space for AMD less than 18%
    Market share in Server CPU Space less than 5%

These are confirmed figures by finacial companys

11. Joey Propane

Joey Propane What's a Dremel?

Pretty sad really, we all know AMD has been slowly losing ground in every market, but I really didn't think that i'd ever be sitting here seriously contemplating the end of the company as we used to know it...

Slightly frustrating in a sense as well to be honest, they financially crippled themselves when they bought ATI and it's probably the money from their products that has kept them afloat this long. Maybe it would have been better for both parties if that deal never went through, I would sure as be pissed if they took what's left of ATI under with them.

12. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

Yeah they are just in a headlock without the products to win. I have an AMD graphics card now and I like it, but the lack of physics is a bit of an issue to me because some games use it, and yet the price of nvidia equivalents is similar and performance is similar, so are temps and volume, so when I next upgrade, nVidia is the only choice really. I only bought my current one as AMD because it was much quieter at the time than the nvidia alternatives, but they since solved that.

And then with CPU's, Intel have been on a roll the past several years. I remember when a lot of gamers started using AMD chips, I think it was when they first started having 64bit chips, before intel came along with the Conroe processor. But nowdays, all the enthusiasts and gamers just have intel.

They need an angle. I bought an AMD chip for an HTPC because it was so energy efficient. Even that could be something, but they need to have the best of something, whether it's top end gamer processors, super efficient htpc / laptop type chips, or even try to beat Arm at their own game and make something for smartphones or whatever.

Something... anything... come on amd!

13. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

I can see why PC sales are down. The global economy hasn't been all that rosy the last few years. Many people make due with what they have. A five year old computer today, isn't nearly as useless a relic as a five year old PC would have been just a few years ago. Hell, I've got a 5 year old HP backup PC (upgraded PSU and GFX card) that's still better than a lot of computers my friends use. Most of them, however, do their gaming on consoles and not so much on their PCs. You don't need much hardware to run web browsing and an Office type suite.

14. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

Amd really should be pushing vendors OEM manufacturers with their APU chips, it makes so much sense for cost vs performance for basic systems.

15. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

Lol I highly doubt taking 1% from anyone in AMD would make the slightest difference.

Besides they just did 2000 people a favour to find a job with a company that isn't going down the drain

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

16. Quuwahi

Quuwahi What's a Dremel?

Always had AMD systems as they were cheaper, but ever since I started to work I went right to Intel as they offer better high end stuff now.

Would be sad if AMD go, less competition for Intel means higher prices.