1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Coolsair

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by OcSurfe, 16 Dec 2012.

1. OcSurfe

OcSurfe Uber Noob

Hey guys,
    So PEXON has finally convinced me to post my project log on here,
    Ill say now, its not gunna be a quick one, but will try and have a few updates every couple of weeks. this project, is to take my current rig which is housed in a Corsair 650D and mod it to accommodate the new hardware. the name, CoolSair, well im using Corsair and Alphacool products throughout where i can as i love the quality of component that both companies produce.

So the plan is,
    1. Mod the front of the case and the drive bays to accommodate the 240 alphacool Monsta Rad

2. Looking at modding the roof to accommodate a 360 Alphacool 45mm rad

3. Deciding whether i can fit a bay res or go with alternative.

4. Putting my 2nd 670 in and applying waterblocks

5. Custom Sleeving Cables

I feel that the hardest thing about this is gunna be the 360 rad in the roof. I know what i want to do, but whether i can get the finished product to look clean and crisp is debatable, mainly because of the recess that is in the roof atm.
    here are some pictures of the rig as it stands atm;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the colour scheme is in the middle of a blue to red transition, waiting for cash for the Maximus V Formula..
    the first order of the the monsta rad and what ill be using to bolt it into the front will be arriving from specialtech at the start of this comming weeks so ill update as soon as it arrives. Going to try and do it like TTL did on this 6 hour shinobi mod challenge so ill be rewatching that a few more times!
    Gunna be a big learnign curve for me never done anything like this before so please be patient.

2. shrop

shrop El Jefe of Sleeving

Whoop whoop! Here he is! Welcome to BT dude... Don't worry about taking your time :D Evo has been going over a ear :p

3. OcSurfe

OcSurfe Uber Noob

Ok so the goodies arrived from Specialtech.
    Time to get the first part of this mod on!
    Plan is to cut out the bottom of the drive bays and the front and replace it with a 2x120mm grill to accommodate the Alphacool Monsta 240 Rad.

[​IMG]

So the goodies from Specialtech arrived, Alphacool 240 Monsta, Phobya 240 Grill and a pair of Corsair SP120 Quiet's.

[​IMG]

The whole thing assemled and ready to go in, let the modding begin!

[​IMG]

Current water loop taken out in one hit, Its an EK Supreme LTX block, Alphacool 45mm 240 rad and an XSPC 750 Dual bay res. will connect the whole lot together when i get the GPU waterblocks and get the Mobo and CPU upgraded.

[​IMG]

Last look at a Stock 650D

[​IMG]

Marked out and ready for cutting, word of warning, Dremel NOOB!

[​IMG]

First two cuts down, preety straight not bad for a first time with a dremel!

[​IMG]

Testing to see the fit and to gauge where the holes to bolt it in are going to go!

[​IMG]

All in and fitted!
    Did give the bolts a few coats of satin black spray paint, but the front fascia of the 650D hides it all anyway.

Thats it for now Folks will update hopefully before christmas.
    birthday soon after so should be able to get a lot done!

4. WALKYRIE

WALKYRIE What's a Dremel?

I am struggling to find a way to hide the horrible PCIe wires of the video card, now the video card makers took for granted that the best layout for the PCIe connectors are sticking them out from the side of the video card, and with this layout is impossible to hide the PCIe wires, even worst if each wire have its own sleeve because this make this problem even worst

5. OcSurfe

OcSurfe Uber Noob

I know mate, its a bugbare, BUT with the waterblocks on they will be on the ends of the cards so hopefully i can make it a bit tighter, Also gunna do some individual sleeving so that should be a little easier to work with, the corsair braiding is very stiff. I had a little tidy up of the system whilst talking to Shrop earlier, looks better but still a pin, will post an update tomorrow when my new parts arrive

6. OcSurfe

OcSurfe Uber Noob

Ok so a couple of days ago some goodies arrived in the post.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

nice speed and timings should add some serious grunt to the rig once the Z77 platform arrives.

also been busy with general maintenance of the rig, giving it a tidy up and playing with a few ideas.
    decided to mount the SSD's on the side of the 240 rad to try and hide them away tidily.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

as you can see still visible at the moment, but just ordered a few sets of Corsair SP fans, D5 pump and Alphacool pump top and bitspower tube res, that little lot should keep me busy through christmas.
    Nate aka Editor22 is kindly going to make a custom roof grill for mounting the 360 rad, looking at getting the MSI Mpower board and spraying the yellow copper and spraying the heatsinks on the ram copper too. should tie in nicely with the black and copper of alphacool. May even spray the corsair rings to match the fan screws in the pic below.

[​IMG]