1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Asus P5Q - should I RMA it?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Yardstick, 11 Nov 2008.

1. Yardstick

Yardstick What's a Dremel?

I have a newly built system that is randomly re-booting. I am certain that the issue is hardware related because I have experienced a number of crashes whilst in the Bios. Through elimination of other components, I am left pointing the finger at the motherboard (Asus P5Q).

Checking the board over, I discovered that within 5 mins of booting the northbridge heatsink is burningly hot - I'd estimate well in excess of 100 C and this is with the case door off, in room with an ambient temp of 19 -20 C. Using Asus AI Suite the system temps are reported as 50 to 53 C - idle, 56 to 60 C - stressed. For comparison the CPU is typically mid 20s - idle, low 30s - stressed). As a temporary solution, I have mounted a 120mm / 2,500 rpm fan to blow a gale across the northbridge and got reported temps down to the high 30s (also dropped reported CPU temps down to mid teens - not sure I trust AI Suite on this). However, whilst the system is much more stable, I am still getting the odd re-boot.

I can't believe that the heat produced by this motherboard is normal although I do understand the P45 northbridge does run hot.

Does it sound like a good RMA candidate?

System:
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz
    CPU Cooler: Akasa AK-965
    Mobo: Asus P5Q P45 Socket 775
    Mem: Corsair 4GB Kit DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 XMS2
    GPU: Sapphire ATI 4870 512mb
    PSU: Corsair 650W TX Series
    HD1: Samsung 750gb SATA II
    HD2: Maxtor 350gb SATA II
    Sound: SB Audigy 2
    Case: Coolermaster ATCS 210
    O/S: Win XP SP3

2. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

I've got a P5Q Pro and the NB gets hottish to touch, but the temperature sensor is calibrated like ****. Sometimes it shows temperatures below 10C, and sometimes playing a game it gets up to >140C.

Dunno if your rebooting is because of the NB overheating, but it might be as it gets more stable when the NB is cooled better with the fan, right?

3. Yardstick

Yardstick What's a Dremel?

Spot on, which is why I am pointing the finger at the motherboard.

I'm going to stick a temp sensor on it tonight and run it for a while without the 120mm fan to get a true reading. The heatsink is not just hot it would burn your finger if you left it there for more than a fraction of a second.

Basiclly I don't want to RMA the board for a refund and buy a replacement, only to have the original returned if it is found to be OK. More importantly, I won't have solved the reboot problem.

4. slap-o-mite

slap-o-mite What's a Dremel?

RMA that thing ! call the RMA dept don't play the email game .. u'll get a RMA # right off & as long as the board is in new shape they will RMA u a new one .. write a letter explaining the Trouble Shooting that u did include that lettter in the box with the RMA board '

remember to put the CPU pin cap back on the socket

Tags: