1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chimp Challenge 2009! You're invited!

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Lizard, 23 Apr 2009.

1. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

All credit for this thread should go to bigtoyota479, as he set up the original thread on the old Custom PC forum - I'm simply recreating it here for continuity.

---------------------------------

Hi Folks! I represent Maximum PC's F@H Team 11108! It's that time of year again, and we need to get this ball rolling! I think this is the first year you all have been invited, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Since this is your first go, I'll give you a little run-down. This all started quite a few years ago with us and the Overclockers. We have a little sub-team of monkeys, and so do they. We challenged the other team to a little race, first one to 500k points is the winner! Since then this thing has really snowballed and has turned into quite the large event. I'm hoping to get the top 10 teams all involved this year, and we'd be happy to have you guys participate! There's a link to our forums in here with a Trash talk thread, and the Official Chimp Challenge 2009 thread for the Team Captains to talk things over in.

Pretty much the same rules that have worked so well in the past. We were thinking that 20 million would be a good number to race to this year, but we can change that if the teams decide on something else.

I'm in the process of contacting all of the Top Ten folding teams on EOC, so this year should be very interesting indeed!

Couple of things right from the get-go:

1. I'd like you to choose a team captain! The sooner the better, of course. This person will represent your team in all things, so make the choice wisely!

2. Official-Unofficial Rules for this year:

Here's a couple of tidbits regarding the upcoming Chimp Challenge '09.

First, the rules:

1. First team to accumulate 20,000,000 points from the start time wins.

2. Start time for the contest is Saturday, May 5th at 12pm, Pacific Daylight Time.

3. The victor gets to claim the lucky jaded monkey as the prize. Tales have been told of untold wealth and fame that comes with this. The victorious team is allowed to display in any honorary fashion the jaded monkey, the losing team is forbidden to display it. The losing team is bestowed the dreaded monkey's paw, which is said to be cursed. People have been known for have very bad luck with this paw!

4. Team captains are as follows: TBA

5. In the event of a close race, the Stanford site will be considered the official source for points information.

6. Only team captains are allowed to make changes to rules.

7. The official folding names are TBA

8. Have fun and keep it positive.

I'm going to get in touch with seadave from the overclockers. He's going to hook us up with stats as he did last year. He's working on the coding right now and will pass along a url when he has it up and running. He did a hella job last year with the stats. Many of us even have the final graph proudly stashed away in our files as a reminder of the contest and the outcome. If you have a chance, give him a pat on the back and a bit of thanks for his trouble. When I have that url for the site I'll pass it along to you guys/gals.

Official Rules at MPC

The chimp challenge thread over at overclockers, here. (TBA)

Trash Talk!

Stats tracking courtesy of seadave77 at overclockers.

I'll try post screenshots from stanford for each team on may 5th, 12pm pacific.

Edit: All Teams starting screenshot from Stanford.

Full Race Graph

I'll add more to/edit this post as necessary.

Any questions or comments feel free to ask me here, there or anywhere you can find me!

2. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

So confusing having two forums with the same topics now :confused: You gotta start locking threads over on CPC James, otherwise we're gonna get a major amount of double posting!

I got my PPD up to 10K on one machine for this challenge, I'm hoping to keep it there for the duration and the addition of another SMP machine today should tip me slightly over 12K per day which will be a nice contribution to the teams efforts in trying to kick Maximum PC off the top '_'

3. JackOfAll

JackOfAll What's a Dremel?

Yes, that's a good idea. I just posted to both threads on CPC forums with a link to the new threads over here.

4. 1Razor

1Razor Living life one day at a time....

So James we don't actually have to do anything except carry on folding as normal, yes? :confused:

5. JackOfAll

You'll need to change your Folding username for the duration of the competition. 'CPChimps' is probably/possibly going to be the username. Team Captain (saspro) to confirm. I expect he'll post instructions as soon as the username is decided.

6. 1Razor

1Razor Living life one day at a time....

Means the team points will take a big hit in the meantime, allowing lesser teams to catch up! Not that I want to be mercenary about it :eeek:

7. JackOfAll

Not as I understand it. The points won't be attributed to your 'regular' username, but you'll still be folding for the same team as always. It's only the username that changes. Team not affected.

8. uncle_fungus

uncle_fungus P/T Folding@home developer

Exactamundo

9. bigtoyota479

bigtoyota479 What's a Dremel?

This thread made it to the new forums! Yay! Our trash talk thread is feeling quite rejected. It's usually full of life about this time. Come on over and play!

10. PlasmaBomb

PlasmaBomb CPC Refugee

Essentially it will be -

Username: CPChimps (or whatever)
    Team: 35947 (as always :))

11. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Where is it? Im great at trash talking :D

12. bigtoyota479

bigtoyota479 What's a Dremel?

There's a link in my first post up top that says Trash Talk! You should click it. :)