1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple Apple and pentalobes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bigkingfun, 23 Jan 2011.

1. bigkingfun

bigkingfun Tinkering addict

"Apple is switching to a new type of tamper-resistant screw. This is not a standard Torx, and there are no readily available screwdrivers that can remove it."

[​IMG]
    Already in use on some Apple products are:
    [​IMG]

Full story

I guess it is to make more money form people who need a new battery or HDD?

2. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Apple is not the only one using such screws actually, but Apple is the one who get's shouted at for doing these kind of stuff.

Should they do it? No, nobody should do it actually.

But Apple, and all the others don't do it without a reason. And the reson is quiet simply quality-control.

To guarantee the best quality you want to have the control, and only let your own personal open the devices. And if you buy your iPhone etc in an Apple-store, you've got 2 years of warranty and free of charge service from the store you bought your device from.

So why again do they try to lock out the customers from changing any hardware? Because if you change the hardware yourself and use hardware not approved by Apple, you loose your warranty. Easy as that.

And to make this clear again... Apple is not the only manufacturer using these types of uncommon screwes in their devices.

Nevertheless, if you want to buy a driver for those screws, they're available at ifixit.com.

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

No, you have your screws confused.
    The one that Apple use, are produced by Apple. iFix.com doesn't have the screw driver.. they have one that will fit and somewhat work, and provide you with Philips head screw drivers that resembles the one you are replacing/removing. They call it the Liberation kit.

Security screws, the triangle one, the one with many corners, are not common, but the screw drivers are actually easy to find at a hardware store, or many websites that sells screw drivers.

4. omicron

omicron Baud.

I bought the hardware, I have the right to void its warranty if I so desire. Furthermore, what happens when it's out of warranty? — Oh, yeah, you're supposed to upgrade before then, like a good little drone, aren't you?
    Reminds me of 'Brazil'. :rolleyes:

5. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

I never said that it's the best solution for the customer, did I?

From a manufacturers POV it's totally logical to do this however.

It's basically the same as what's done with CPU-sockets and holes for the coolers. They are changed aswell every few years, so that you need to buy new coolers, allthough there's no reason to change them aslong as the sockets don't increase in size dramatically.

Or what about changing the power-plugs in mobile devices, so that you need to have new chargers.
    Fortunately the EU has stepped in and "forced" the manufacturers to get rid of this and have them use a universal plug (micro-USB) now.

It's time to regulate alot more of these things, but then there's the US, who will be against this and call it communism again :hehe:

6. Glider

Glider /dev/null

The screws have nothing to do with quality control... QA happens before the product leaves the factory... And if they wanted a way of proving you tampered with it (and thus voided the warranty), they'd use a sticker, like every other manufacturer...

7. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Its their product, they can do what they want.

8. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

...and once it's yours, so should you. However, now you can't. You're BUYING the product, not a license to use it. If you want to open it up and change it, modify it, or fit a new battery, you should be able to if you want.

9. Lankius Maximus

Lankius Maximus Minimodder

Post removed by author (didnt read the earlier replies)

Last edited: 23 Jan 2011
  10. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Give it another month or two before these new drivers will be available. Was exactly the same with Torx, Tri-Wings, etc, etc...

Cei likes this.
  11. Fantus

Fantus Nothing to see here...

But it was theirs before you bought it. They designed and manufactured it this way and the consumer purchased it in that state. It does make it more difficult to play with, but if you're looking for something to tamper with then a mac probably isn't for you.
    The only part I have a problem with is them changing the screws when it's repaired :grr:

12. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

13. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

GOO to the rescue :)

I thought it would be only a matter of time before you could buy these drivers from somewhere.

14. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

You, as an informed and free consumer, have the choice not to buy it if you don't like the attached conditions (including screws).

You of course also have the right to open it up and tinker with it if you so desire. And if you break it you especially enjoy the right to pay for its repair or replacement. But that is often not how people roll. They want to mod, but they don't want to accept the risk that comes with voiding the warranty. How many times have we read on this forum about people who broke their GPU while exchanging the heatsink for a water block and then sheepishly RMA'd it?

Modding is not for pussies. If a few odd screws keep you from opening your iPhone, you have no business even trying.