1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cases Case with a lockable door?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thetrashcanman, 16 Jul 2011.

1. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

Ok a bit of an odd one, I'm meant to be doing a build for some friends of mine as there desktop is getting on a bit, unfortunately they have a young daughter who keeps pressing the power button in the machine, so other than them getting a laptop, which I'm trying to persuade them not to do, I thought the best solution would be a case that has it's POWER and reset buttons (or at least the power button) hidden by a front door, which is also lockable, to stop there daughter turning the pc on and off all the time, but I can't find a case like this...

So I hand over to the wonderful people on the forum's anyone got any ideas? Preferably don't want to spend more than £100 on the case.

Thanks very much in advanced chaps.

2. reggie50

reggie50 Minimodder

P180/2, is the only one I can think of off the top of my head. bound to be others though

thetrashcanman likes this.
  3. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

How about using a key switch like this one? Might work out cheaper

Last edited: 16 Jul 2011
  4. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

The old chieftec cases had that feature, a cheap alternative to the Antec if you can still find them somewhere. If you get to choose i'd recommend the Bravo or Mesh (several sizes available) as they're a little more up to date than the Dragon.

They're also built like tanks, almost unreasonably sturdy.

EDIT: Amazon still seems to have them, the ones with doors start at 80 quid so i guess you might aswell go for the Antec :/

Last edited: 16 Jul 2011
  5. thetrashcanman

Awesome, thanks mate, found one! + rep and + rep to everyone else for helping, I hate the look of this chieftec case though, the antec is such a nice looking thing.

6. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

The old Gigabyte Aurora 570 has a lockable door. I notice you're in Essex, if you want to come round here there's one or two you can have for free (need the space).

7. Picky88

Picky88 What's a Dremel?

Depending on what motherboard you get, mine has a feature to restore power after power has been lost, so effectively you can use the switch on your power supply to turn the PC on, disconnect the power buttons on the front, and use the windows menu to shut down the PC. Might be a bit of a hassle to reach round the back of the PC but at least you can then choose any case.

8. Big Elf

I use very thin phone wires to connect the internal motherboard connectors to a remote switch that I put on my desktop. Stops me bending down all of a foot to power on.

9. aLtikal

aLtikal 1338-One step infront of the pro's

Wow, all time new low for lazyness??. Fail. :-/

10. thetrashcanman

Ah mate that would be good, for free? Or would you want something for it? Once I've got a new car I might take you up on that offer.

11. Big Elf

Having looked at them again I should point out that I've removed the lower hard drive cage in each case (too much resonance) and inexpertly cut out the rear fan grilles (blocked too much airflow). There's still mounting space for hard drives (with bay adapters) in the 5 1/4" bays and the rear holes can be covered with fan grilles. On one case I've cut out 2 x 120mm fan holes in the metal side mesh (can be replaced with acrylic if you have the patience and skill to cut the required shape. The other one is untouched. The outside of the cases is OK and I still have at least 1 key for the locks but probably would be able to find at least 1 more.

I've recently dismantled the systems that were in them and no longer have a use for them. Totally free. Where in Essex do you live?

Both are black and there's an old review http://techgage.com/article/gigabyte_3d_aurora_570/

12. murraynt

murraynt Modder

you can padlock an Antec 300

13. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

The power button?

14. chewbaccas_nan

chewbaccas_nan Minimodder

I've got a Thermaltake Tsunami Dream, its got a lock mechanism on it, quite an old case though might be hard to get hold of.

15. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Of course (and this is the low-tech option, admittedly) the parents can just teach their daughter not to press every button she sees. Could be unsafe and all that. And if you can't control your kid at age two, you certainly won't at age twelve.

16. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

I had a chieftec bx a few years ago, i loved it at the time even though it was a little on the heavy side. All these old gen cases should be really cheap to buy or even free tbh.

Agree with nexxo though, my daughters 2 and she knows what she can/cant touch. The naughty step Cheesecake!!

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

17. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I'd take them off your hands :hehe:

18. Wira

Wira Spoderman

exactly the same thing I thought first -.-

19. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

put abit of electrical tape over it so she cant see the button? Could work until they teach her to not press it

20. thetrashcanman

Ha thats a very good idea chaps, that way I can get them the case I wanted to in the first place Fractal R3 :D or maybe an FT03, what do we all think?