1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Stripping Powder Coating?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Maki role, 4 Apr 2014.

1. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Hello everyone, I was wondering if I could draw upon the collective knowledge here on what would be the best/most effective/easiest method of stripping powder coating?

It's quite a commonly done thing from what what I've seen, just I've never had to do it myself. I was wondering if there are any specific tricks that might help before I jump in all gung ho and make things more difficult for myself. I've seen some use chemical solutions of sorts, whilst others stick to good ol' sand paper and elbow grease.

Any thoughts?

2. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

3. AlienwareAndy

4. AlienwareAndy

God these forums are running like bloody treacle :S

5. Maki role

I was about to say, not often you see a triple post, this migration has really brought things to a bit of a crawl. Thanks for the tip Andy, I saw Crapman's great results, hopefully I'll be able to emulate his success. Given I'm repainting most of the things, there are only a few parts that will really need a thorough stripping.

6. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I can't stress how much those things saved my life. Well, fingers anyway. Soooo much easier than sanding. There's no chemical treatment that you can easily obtain in the uk and even if you could, i doubt it would make it much easier.

Also a proper drill rather than drill/driver is much easier and faster due to increased rpm. In a proper drill you could probably do a full side panel in about 5 mins if it was flat.

7. Maki role

Sold to the man with the funny hair!

I'll pick up a couple today so I can get going with things. Thanks for the tips!

8. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Depending on what you're doing after you've stripped it, it might just be easier to just take it to a powder coater and get them to strip it.

I had my bike frame stripped and re coated for £50 from a local guy.

9. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I always cheat and use media blasting for stripping PC and paint. No elbow grease required :worried: