1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Tablet?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by matt_lumley, 26 Dec 2012.

1. matt_lumley

matt_lumley You're only supposed to...

Hey guys,

Seen as I have a little bit of cash from family over christmas I think I would like a tablet. My laptop does a bloody awesome job on the go and has the power to game on the desk a bit when I need but I think for watching movies on go or little lecture notes etc I think a tablet might be a bit easier.

An iPad is far out of the question. Way to over priced for what they do, plus I still have the hate apple stigma going on after they messed me about with my iPod and my sisters iPhone.

For what I can see the Nexus 7 is my best bet. Just wondering on peoples thoughts, whether they are any good? Whether there is anything else coming out I should wait for (although there is always something new coming out) or if there is anything better that I can get for ~£200.

Currently looking at the 32GB WiFi only version of the Nexus 7. What do people think?

Thanks guys I know you'll all be great.

Matt

2. mingingbollock

mingingbollock Minimodder

Santa brought me a nexus 7 :clap: loving it so far , gets my vote :rock:

3. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

For the money, you won't get a better tablet.

4. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Agreed, if you won't buy Apple it's a Nexus 7 or a Kindle Fire HD - with the Nexus taking my pick.

5. matt_lumley

matt_lumley You're only supposed to...

Awesome glad you are all liking it! Makes me confident I will haha! How is it for films etx?

6. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Had I not bought an archos 80 cobalt today I would have got a nexus. The trouble is the archos 80 was a steal at 49.99 at tesco today only (I think)
    The specs are pretty good it is certainly mid range and I am happy enough with it. Sure the nexus is better spec, marginally. If the archos was more than 50 I wouldn't have bothered that much, but given the nexus was around 3 or 4 times the price I thought it was worth a punt. It may be worth looking at tesco tomorrow or checking on the web.

Sent from my ARCHOS 80 COBALT using Tapatalk 2

7. rollo

rollo Modder

Nexus7 and andriod in general lack films tv shows Ect at least in the uk.( if your from USA you can ignore all that)

Only Apple currently has the uk tv distribution rights for tv and films. This is unlikely to change due to sky tvs refusal to offer rights to google/Microsoft/amazon.( rumour is apple pays a small fortune for the rights)

Sky tv are the only broadcaster for new USA shows in England hence have a huge monopoly.

If you get your tv / film from other sources then its not a bad device main flaw is at native resolution the 16gb one at least is about 8films max. ( a problem all tablets share)

Living in the uk at least apple is the one and only choice. ( this applys to most none USA country's and will do till Microsoft/google/ amazon are willing to pay for content)

Of the nexus series the nexus 10 is a better tablet for films and tv shows.

8. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

There are alternative means to tv and movies on the internet aside from the dedicated android/apple stores. Legal means too, so I don't see how it applies. And isn't what the op was asking for.

9. mingingbollock

mingingbollock Minimodder

Great for watching movies, native is mp4 but threw vlc on there and it plays anything :) streams off my pc great too

sky+ if you are not rooted , iplayer etc
    just keep finding new stuff to do on it , fantastic little tablet for the money

10. Puk

Puk (A shrewd and knavish sprite)

I bought one, had it two days and sold it on here as at the time needed the cash. Have missed it since and plan on picking up a new one this coming weekend.

I've has a few tablets and so far the nexus in the 7" format has been my favourite. Hence I'm going to buy another one. ASAP.

11. TheManicGibbon

TheManicGibbon I have no idea what's going on

I'd also recommend the Nexus 7 - although because I got it when it first came out, I paid £200 for the 16GB model. Definitely pick up the 32GB one, it's a steal and it's a really great device for everything I've needed it for so far.

The price/performance is the best around at the moment, the screen is fantastic and I haven't a bad word to say about it really. Plus, being a Nexus device, you're guaranteed speedy OS updates for a good while yet.

12. kaxliysi

kaxliysi What's a Dremel?

13. rollo

rollo Modder

Pretty sure he did ask how it is for films

14. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Yes, but I was under the impression he meant either streamed from his pc or on the device itself, not live :)

We are looking to get my mum a tablet after Christmas, and the Nexus 10 is at the top of our list, although I need to do more research into it.

15. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Microsoft Surface? It has a 16:9 format screen and kickstand for watching movies, and OneNote for lecture note taking, USB port (memory stick) with full cloud syncing and file compatibility with your main PC and full compatibility with your printer. Can't go wrong there.

16. rollo

rollo Modder

If an iPad is too expensive I'd assume a surface is also. ( budget in original post)

17. Nexxo

Well, he said overpriced for what they do. But fair point. In the £200,-- price range it's the Nexus 7, no contest. Use Evernote for lecture note taking.

18. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

..or a pad of paper and a pen?

Call me old fashioned

19. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

..or a reed and a clay tablet?

At least then you can truthfully claim to have used a tablet. Think of it as Evernote 1.0.

Last edited: 27 Dec 2012
  20. Nexxo

And think of the battery life!

No multitasking though...