1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Is it VPNs I need?

Discussion in 'Software' started by TheStockBroker, 2 Sep 2013.

1. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

Not really sure what I need, or what to do for either situation...

Situation 1: Little bro heading back to boarding school tomorrow, web browsing is heavily filtered for content in a completely overzealous manner; I know because I was in the same boarding house up until just 8 years ago now. It's not really about bandwidth or traffic types, as iPlayer, Youtube, Netflix, WoW, LoL and the like are all allowed, but blocked during prep-time and from 11pm until after school the next day, while useful websites like stackoverflow remain usable, which is good.

The kid's 16 and knows up from down and asked me about setting up a tunnel to my house so he can browse freely during the appropriate hours. Because y'know things like mmochampion, and GTA websites are blocked.

I have a PFSense router with beefy h/w, and a 330/30Mbps FTTH line, so capacity shouldn't be a problem for basic web browsing, which is all he needs.

Is a VPN what I need to liberate him, and should I do this to my media server or to my router? and how? Would this also allow him to access files saved on my NAS (would be a bonus)

Situation 2: My Father's off globetrotting. He has a solid 100mb connection, so to route through my piddly 30mbps upload makes no sense, so I believe we're looking at an alternative (paid?) solution. Additionally, he's after the comforts of iPlayer, 4OD etc (He is a UK TV license payer), so I wouldn't really want him hogging my precious bandwidth anyway (also I have security concerns)

Can someone recommend some secure software/company (paid is fine) so that he can access this region sensitive content, while not throttling him to some ridiculous speeds? I.E. HD iPlayer, no buffering!

Many thanks in advance!

2. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

I use Private Internet Access to get past BT P2P throttling, and have some good results from that.

I ran a Speedtest whilst connected via the Netherlands (I'm in the UK), and got this result:

[​IMG]

My speed outside of the VPN is here:

[​IMG]

To be honest, that will satisfy both scenarios. Though you won't get the NAS access you require in the first scenario. For that a VPN you host should do the trick, since he will have access to your home network, and therefore the NAS (if you let him).

TheStockBroker likes this.
  3. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

4. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

Amazing, thankyou! +Rep

Will get that set up on Situation 2, will give the VPN a shot in Situation 1 first and see how we get along.

Thankyou +Rep, will give OpenVPN a shot on the router for my little bro!

5. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

6. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Hijack :p

I use PIA but still can not use a family members US netfix account or hulu account. Is it a settings thing I route to US outlet or do I need a proxy for that??

7. alecamused

alecamused Minimodder

I'm using Witopia and am really happy with them.