1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics opinions ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by El Nosba, 20 Dec 2003.

1. El Nosba

El Nosba What's a Dremel?

BFG Technologies GeForce FX 5200 256MB DDR PCI Graphics Card

[​IMG]

total cost = $$150

my current mobo doesnt have an agp slot so im reduced to buying a pci vid card :wallbash: :wallbash:

i dont really have much experience with them the only one ive brought was like 4++ years ago ( was an ati all-in-wonder 16 meg pci vid card with all the trimmings ) and i want a damn decent one for gaming ( yeaa, even tho its only pci, itll help in the long run :blah: )

your thoughts on it ?

2. sja360

sja360 What's a Dremel?

i'd say buy a new board with AGP and get a 2nd hand 9500 pro or Geforce ti4200 128mb
    i wouldnt recommend upgrading the pci grfx card, but if u look towards Ati i believe they have a ati 9000 pci which would be the same as the fx5200 i think

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

eh?

No of processors - 2?
    Supports Mpeg 1, 2? - mpeg 1.
    DVD Decoding - Yes (so that must mean mpeg 2!)

LOL crazy people.

As for upgrading.. seriously consider a new mobo. Perhaps something like an nforce that has onboard graphics? At least then youll get MX440 graphics and when the time is right you can upgrade to an AGP card.

The FX5200s arent the fastest things in the world anyway with an AGP slot, a PCI will just cripple it.

4. calnen

calnen moo!!

Agreed there. For the money, you might as well buy an nforce2 board.
    I've got an fx5200 running on AGP4x, which scores about 5500 on 3dmark01 - hardly staggering, and a PCI version wouldn't even match that. The nforce would be about the same (possibly slightly worse than the 256MB version you were looking at) but is fully upgradable and much cheaper.

5. El Nosba

ugh, this is wat i get for not paying attention wen i was writing this...

i forgot to mention i cant upgrade the mobo ( not cause i dont want too, i just cant :miffed: )

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

what pc are u looking at then? got any specs?

7. calnen

calnen moo!!

I guess if upgrading the mobo (or building a new system - long shot ;)) are out then you dont have many options left.

That's definately the best PCI graphics card i've seen. (Didnt know you could get better than a 7200 on PCI to be honest) but It is very expensive. - I spent less than half of that on the AGP version, which will be considerably faster. However, if you want the best PCI graphics you can get, that seems a fair bet.

8. Darkside

Darkside What's a Dremel?

Why can't you upgrade mobo ??

Darkside.

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Im guessing cause its a custom case like dell or compaq?

If it doesnt even have a PCI slot in guessing its old as anythin and there will be little point even in putting in a PCI gfx card if the rest of the system is a bottleneck.

10. El Nosba

whoops, lol i forgot about this thread, geuss i shouldnt unsubscribe to everything just cause i get spammed with email ehh :p

my system aint that bad... it is a compaq tho

2.7 celeron with generic 512-2700 ddr ram and a 120 gig hd

11. [cibyr]

[cibyr] Sometimes posts here

how can you say "not that bad" and then say that it's a COMPAQ with a CELERON?!? :wallbash: that's about as bad as it gets with looking at old PCs. just abuse the crap out of your compaq until you can afford a new system...

12. calnen

calnen moo!!

Lol!
    dont listen to him, that's a very decent system. Not a clue why it doesnt have an AGP port, though.. are you sure there isnt a half-height one nestled away there somewhere? (The small form evo ones are like that, but you can still fit (say) a rad 9000 in there.)

just wondering

13. El Nosba

positive :blah:

on a lighter note, i got the card but i gotta to wait till thursday till i can even touch it

torture :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

14. calnen

calnen moo!!

lol! Thats the worst part about xmas, by far :)

15. El Nosba

i suppose it could be worse... the card could be staring at me in the face and i wouldnt be able to look in its direction without getting irked, cause i couldnt install it :p

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

HAHA - i have it worse. I have a box full of stuff behind me and NONE of it's for me :( :( :( I had to order it for my brother and my dad.

:grr: i want to plaaaaay :waah:

Tags: