1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Debian Mail Server Falling Over

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by deathtaker27, 27 Aug 2014.

1. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

Hi,

My personal mail server keeps falling over, its running Debian 7 under hyper-v with Citadel (2GB RAM), nothing else runs on this VM. I don't really know where to look for this type of issue on Linux so any advice on troubleshooting in general will also be appreciated.

Image of error:

[​IMG]

2. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Well, your image isn't showing up, but the first place to look would be the logs which you can usually find in /var/logs/
    syslog is the first one to check, but your mail server program will probably have it's own logs which should be in /var/logs but might be somewhere else, the config file should list where the logs are.
    It'll also probably be possible to increase the logging limit for the mail server, so it's more verbose, giving you more information to go on.

3. roundyz

roundyz What's a Dremel?

That looks like a kernel fault in the vm, maybe from the underlying hyper visor of the host machine. So start there, you kinda need to look at the begining of the dump though as that seems the tail end.

4. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

Sorry for not getting back but i believe i have found the issue to be down to how hyper-v handles memory deduplication.

Once i turned off one of the VMs (migrated to another system) this has only happened twice in 2-3 weeks, which i can cope with)

Thanks for the help though guys