1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress HiRO - 英雄, Finished - Sound Reactive Case! Video included on last post!!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by HiRO, 17 Aug 2009.

1. HiRO

HiRO Humble Modder

英雄
    [​IMG]

-Hey special thanks to sethnmalice, His latest project FUGGDIVINO here on bit-tech.net was an inspiration to the front and left panels. Thanks Sethnmalice. :D

The Idea:

Hi community of Bit-tech.net, I am sorta nervous about posting my mod on here, being that there is so much great talent here, but here it goes. I am a brand new computer modder, full time student. This project was my part time job during the last summer.

The idea of 英雄 (ying1 xiong2), meaning "Hero" in chinese, is to be the eye grabber of the room.
    I wanted a case that would interact on how you use it. Since i love music and the sounds of video games whether it be a MMO or a FPS.

In short i was wondering how i could get a computer to interact with what i am doing. I thought about our five sense's and the sense of hearing made most sense to me.

Preparation:

I don't really do 3dmax layouts or even write down my idea, i typically just keep it in my head. My family and friends have told me that they never understand what i am doing till it's done, so how about we just jump into it.

A brief explanation would be, Glowing box that has panels sticking out from the front and side with a modern and simple look. The case is suppose to show craftsmanship but yet be simple so its not too much for the eye to handle.
    I Ordered http://www.xoxide.com/clearacatxca.html
    [​IMG]

The Acrylic would allow the light to pass through and create a cool effect.

With the excitement of doing my first mod running through my veins i ran out to my local Autozone and picked up Dupli-color automotive spray

At Autozone i picked up
    • 2 cans of linen white
    • 1 can of flat black
    • 2 cans of clear coat
    • 1 can of smooth metal primer
    • 800 grit sand paper
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next my trip lead me to Home Depot to get the other materials i needed for the case

• 1 bottle of gorilla glue
    • 1 sheet of acrylic
    • 1 sheet of metal (very thin)
    • 3 to 5 bags of bolts and nuts
    • 1 Metal hand filing set
    • Ear muffs to protect my hearing from the dremel and saber saw
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Beginning:

With my trusty saber saw in hand i began to cut into the acrylic panel that would support the metal sheet for the left side of the case.

Sabersaw
    [​IMG]
    The acrylic support panel has been cut
    [​IMG]

You can see that the shape of the cut out has 8 sides but the left and right sides of the cut out are very long leaving it like a rectangle but someone cut off the corners.

Next i cut the same pattern onto the metal sheet i purchased.
    Little tip, always cut to the out side of the line. Seems simple but, yes, i messed up that small detail on my first practice cut.
    Metal cut out
    [​IMG]

Now that the left side panel has been cut i moved onto the front panel's three metal sheets.
    The three metal sheets will maintain the same modern look but provide the front with some spice.

I started to make a template on paper.
    [​IMG]

The template turned out great! Took about an hour to draw because i was overly anal. With the paper template done i transfered the image over to the metal sheets that i previously cut out.

First of three front panels
    [​IMG]

The reason why that panel is white is because i applied one coat of primer to draw the template onto the metal. Probably not necessary, but it helped me.

Also, this template has only been cut with the dremel and the top was hand filed to get a clean look.
    The next step was to hand file the sides of that panel and continue onto the second one.

Hand File Tips
    • Don't burn your self out.
    • Instead put pressure on the metal with the hand file and do one slow but powerful slide downwards . The ridges on the file are meant for one direction.
    • This slow but powerful motion ends up taking off more metal and it allows you to be more careful.
    • In the beginning i would go as fast as i could like a hand saw. A few times i overshot my target line.
    • Not only does going very fast lead for more error, but it's exhuasting. Slow and steady wins the race :D

Here is the first panel completely cut and filed. Also i applied one coat of primer to prepare for the flat black.
    [​IMG]

I now have to do 1 just like this, and another but much more simple.

Back to the left side panel. It took me two and a half hours to draw the pattern and even more time to cut it.

Now i didnt take pictures in between, i got to into modding.
    I'll be glad to explain the steps.

First i started to dremel away as much as i could, :dremel: :dremel: :dremel:

The dremel takes off a lot of metal but it sure does not look good until the work with the hand file begins. The following picture is the left panel metal cut out
    [​IMG]

The middle cut took 3hrs, and i will say it came out b-e-a-u-ti-ful

The middle is the name of the case (as in the title) 英雄.
    This will hopefully flash like a beacon once the LED's are in the case and reacting towards the music / other sound.

Here's a close up
    The Idea:

Hi community of Bit-tech.net, I am sorta nervous about posting my mod on here, being that there is so much great talent here, but here it goes. I am a brand new computer modder, full time student. This project was my part time job during the last summer.

The idea of 英雄 (ying1 xiong2), meaning "Hero" in chinese, is to be the eye grabber of the room.
    I wanted a case that would interact on how you use it. Since i love music and the sounds of video games whether it be a MMO or a FPS.

In short i was wondering how i could get a computer to interact with what i am doing. I thought about our five sense's and the sense of hearing made most sense to me.

Preparation:

I don't really do 3dmax layouts or even write down my idea, i typically just keep it in my head. My family and friends have told me that they never understand what i am doing till it's done, so how about we just jump into it.

A brief explanation would be, Glowing box that has panels sticking out from the front and side with a modern and simple look. The case is suppose to show craftsmanship but yet be simple so its not too much for the eye to handle.
    I Ordered http://www.xoxide.com/clearacatxca.html
    [​IMG]

The Acrylic would allow the light to pass through and create a cool effect.

With the excitement of doing my first mod running through my veins i ran out to my local Autozone and picked up Dupli-color automotive spray

At Autozone i picked up
    • 2 cans of linen white
    • 1 can of flat black
    • 2 cans of clear coat
    • 1 can of smooth metal primer
    • 800 grit sand paper
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next my trip lead me to Home Depot to get the other materials i needed for the case

• 1 bottle of gorilla glue
    • 1 sheet of acrylic
    • 1 sheet of metal (very thin)
    • 3 to 5 bags of bolts and nuts
    • 1 Metal hand filing set
    • Ear muffs to protect my hearing from the dremel and saber saw
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Beginning:

With my trusty saber saw in hand i began to cut into the acrylic panel that would support the metal sheet for the left side of the case.

Sabersaw
    [​IMG]
    The acrylic support panel has been cut
    [​IMG]

You can see that the shape of the cut out has 8 sides but the left and right sides of the cut out are very long leaving it like a rectangle but someone cut off the corners.

Next i cut the same pattern onto the metal sheet i purchased.
    Little tip, always cut to the out side of the line. Seems simple but, yes, i messed up that small detail on my first practice cut.
    Metal cut out
    [​IMG]

Now that the left side panel has been cut i moved onto the front panel's three metal sheets.
    The three metal sheets will maintain the same modern look but provide the front with some spice.

I started to make a template on paper.
    [​IMG]

The template turned out great! Took about an hour to draw because i was overly anal. With the paper template done i transfered the image over to the metal sheets that i previously cut out.

First of three front panels
    [​IMG]

The reason why that panel is white is because i applied one coat of primer to draw the template onto the metal. Probably not necessary, but it helped me.

Also, this template has only been cut with the dremel and the top was hand filed to get a clean look.
    The next step was to hand file the sides of that panel and continue onto the second one.

Hand File Tips
    • Don't burn your self out.
    • Instead put pressure on the metal with the hand file and do one slow but powerful slide downwards and back upwards
    • This slow but powerful motion ends up taking off more metal and it allows you to be more careful.
    • In the beginning i would go as fast as i could like a hand saw. A few times i overshot my target line.
    • Not only does going very fast lead for more error, but it's exhuasting. Slow and steady wins the race :D

Here is the first panel completely cut and filed. Also i applied one coat of primer to prepare for the flat black.
    [​IMG]

I now have to do 1 just like this, and another but much more simple.

Back to the left side panel. It took me two and a half hours to draw the pattern and even more time to cut it.

Now i didnt take pictures in between, i got to into modding.
    I'll be glad to explain the steps.

First i started to dremel away as much as i could, :dremel: :dremel: :dremel:

The dremel takes off a lot of metal but it sure does not look good until the work with the hand file begins. The following picture is the left panel metal cut out
    [​IMG]

The middle cut took 3hrs, and i will say it came out b-e-a-u-ti-ful
    The middle is the title of the case 英雄

Here is a close up of the middle cut
    [​IMG]

The acrylic case came in!!!
    but.... My Dog is begging for attention, post more in a few

My dog disturbing my work :hehe:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 9 Sep 2009
  2. HiRO

HiRO Humble Modder

Round 2

Mid Game, Painting the case:

As the last update said, the case has finally come in. :rock: :rock:

Filled with excitement, i took the spray paint that i got from autozone and and put down a drop cloth outside to start spraying.

Iwanted the white LED's (that i will install later) to show through the white paint.
    I wanted to paint the case with one coat, thin enough to allow light, heavy enough to make the case look white.

My plan was to spray the interior so that the exterior would still have the factory shine on it.

I began with marking out the window for my motherboard.
    [​IMG]

Ya there was probably a more efficient way, but, this seemed simple enough. Worked well i believe.

The window taped out
    [​IMG]

Another view
    [​IMG]

I put the left panel outside to apply the first and only coat of white.

Basic tips:
    • With one coat on acrylic i had to make sure that i didn't allow runs by spraying to much
    • Since the case is orginally see through any runs would have created a "shadow" on the inside of the case when the LED's turned on.
    • Spray 10-12 inches away to avoid runs and too much spray
    • Every 15secs of spraying i stopped whiped off the access spray around the spray nozzle and shook for five seconds and then continued
    • Try not to over lap layers when spraying acrylic you would be able to see that when the LED's turn on

First and only spray on left panel (interior)
    [​IMG]

Other side, exterior (also upside down in the picture :duh:)
    [​IMG]

While that is drying i continued on to spray the other sides of the case
    [​IMG]

Left to right: Back - bottom - top - front.
    The metal plates that i cut out and painted before will go on the left panel (the one with the window) and the three smaller metal plates will go on the front of the case.

This is how the exterior looks
    [​IMG]

You can still see the reflection of my hand.

While those all laid out to dry, i went back to the metal sheets from before

Metal sheets - painting and bolts

I took the three metal (smaller) panels and sprayed them with one coat of flat black after two coats of smooth metal primer.

First coat (still pretty shiny, this will change)
    [​IMG]

This is a general idea how i will lay the panels out on the front panel. The bottom is on the right side of that picture

After a few sprays of flat black this is how they turned out, :thumb::thumb::thumb:
    [​IMG]

Next is to glue the above front panels to acrlyic background that is shaped just like these panels for support.
    The glue will sit for a night.

____

Once the acrlyic was glued to the metal i drilled four holes into the panels and installed four bolts and nuts into each panel. The bolts and nuts not only hold the acrylic to the metal but it also gives the panels a more industrial look to it.

[​IMG]

I did the same process with the big left panel and this is how it turned out
    [​IMG]

Another update real soon, hope to hear from the community :D
    Enjoi

3. charles_h

charles_h I can has RotoZip?

Looks like you're off to a great start Hiro!

Keep up the good work Mate. :thumb:

I really like that vintage jigsaw... and of course your beautiful dog! :)

4. Colossous

Colossous Minimodder

Good use of hand tools duder - liking your style :thumb:

5. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Someone has tools older than mine? Wow!
    I have to say this is a first. I've never seen someone buy a clear case and un-clear it.

6. Sushi Warrior

Sushi Warrior What's a Dremel?

I just picked up a jigsaw for $2 that might take the cake :waah:

7. HiRO

HiRO Humble Modder

- Thank you very much Charles_h!!

-appreciate it very much :D

-rofl Cheapskate, actually that saber saw, when i went to get new fine tooth cutting blades for it, the old man at home depot said it made his day to see a tool that old. Heck, my grandpa used it to build his house... almost 50 or so years ago? Not quite sure...

But the power that tool gives out is just incredible, and it will probably be on this earth after i am haha.

8. HiRO

HiRO Humble Modder

Installing Fans

The 80mm white LED fans finally came in.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    They came with a molex connector and the standard 3pin connection to the mobo, you can use either one which is perfect.

Installing the fans was kinda nerve recking. To properly install the screws you needed to screw hard enough to create rivets into the acrylic which is very easy to fracture. I started to hear this soft grinding noise which means i was close to being as tight as i can without fracturing the case.

Left Panel with window
    [​IMG]

Back with aluminum motherboard panel installed
    [​IMG]

Front
    [​IMG]

Now i have to piece together the case, time to start building

Building

Things went wrong here, the case decided not to be my friend.

One of the case corners snapped. Remember that grinding noise i said you hear when your about to go to far?

I went to far
    [​IMG]

While i was letting that glue back together with my nifty gorilla glue i realized yet another problem.....

Apparently when i was spraying the interior of all pieces i accidently sprayed the exterior of the right side panel. Of course now it looks different (not the factory shine)

exterior
    [​IMG]
    Interior - notice how that back part shines?... that suppose to be on the outside >.<
    [​IMG]

Once i dropped a couple of swears i used my clear coat that i was thankful that i bought.
    Dropped 3 coats of clear coat and tried to match the shine... really it was no where close. Mistakes happen, i figured there would be a few with my first mod.

Burned out too many mistake, be back later for more updates

9. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

Very nice metal work! That jig saw will probably last long enough to pass it on to the grand kids.

10. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Nice job! :thumb: I'm subbing this

11. HiRO

HiRO Humble Modder

Ty, stay tuned to the video at the end, i hope youll like it

Ha no kidding, well its already been from my grandpa to me, be pretty cool if my grand kids get it. lol

Btw, ya i'm kinda new here but... how do i change the title on the forum page? >.<
    ty in advance

Putting in parts

So my equipment still hasn't changed but rather has swapped bodies.
    -Windows XP SP3
    -7200 RPM 160gb HD
    -Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6 mobo
    -9800gt 512 mb
    -e6750 dual core
    -4gb 1066 ddr2 ram
    -700w PSU
    -some crappy old cdrom

Some parts installed
    [​IMG]

On these acrylic cases the motherboard fit perfectly, and i had plenty of room for all my things. Plus the case came with 5 slots for fans so that means plenty of cooling.

[​IMG]

Wires everywhere! At this point i didnt even bother to cable management. But you can see the LED's in there. One on the left, one on top, one on the right, two on bottom, one in back.

-Later these had to be moved :wallbash:

:wallbash: :wallbash: So, as i was explaining before all these 12" LED's will had to be moved. The sound modules were not picking up sound from my speakers over the fans :sigh: when they were inside the case. This lead my mod to be utterly useless, :duh: so i had to find a way to move these sound mods so that they could get sound from the outside clearly. (You can see a sound mod in the picture above it is laying in the cdrom slot)

What i did was space out the three sound modules across the bottom of the floor panel. I then cut six holes into the bottom panel to allow the sound flow directly into the sound modules.

[​IMG]
    *Sorry for some reason these pictures came out more fuzzy.
    The blue lights (3 of them) are the sound mods the sound goes under the case and vibrates on the sound mods which causes them to flicker and control the LED's.

[​IMG]

Dials
    **The wire from the top of that sound mod attaches to the dials i have on the outside of the case. These dials can be turned right and left to increase or decrease the sensitivity of the sound mod's. Otherwise, if i turn the dial to the left the sharper trebles and louder sounds will be picked up. If i turn the dial to the right the more base and softer sounds get picked up (as well as the loud sounds and high trebles.)**

To attach these to the case i drilled a hole through the acrlyic and then fastened them to the case with a 6sided nut. Pretty simple.:eeek:

Close up
    [​IMG]

Close up 2, different view
    [​IMG]

A Leads to the 2 LED's on the bottom.
    I wanted one to be on the top but the wire simply would not reach, i'm not experienced enough to make the wire longer yet. (if someone knows how, can you say, id love to learn.)

B Leads to the left and right White LED's.

C Leads to the back and front LED's.
    The back of the LED really lights up the wall behind the case, where the front LED lights up the 英雄。

**working on next segment, accidently clicked submit :p**

12. HiRO

HiRO Humble Modder

THE LIGHTS!!!

Here we go. The case is now built, the sound Mods are installed. I want to show you how it looks, first of all, here is the case with room lights on. (no LEDs activated)

[​IMG]

The blue tape served as markers where i am going to put the metal panels, that of course will be removed later.

First i need to apply the metal panels onto the acrylic with the acrylic feet.

Finishing pictures

So it has come, my first mod, all done. Had a blast doing it! I cannot wait for the next break in school to mod my next case. Until then ill be looking at all your guy's mod's and im sure they will be sick.

Ty for looking, Let me say one thing tho, of course the pictures are photobuffed :p.
    One thing that i take pride on is that i didnt touch the "glow" of the led's. The glow that you see there is what the camera actually picked up.

Front The three metal panels attached
    [​IMG]

**Not done yet will load final pictures up here when i ready to load youtube video with it**

Last edited: 20 Aug 2009
  13. HiRO

HiRO Humble Modder

Low Light mode
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mobo
    [​IMG]

Close up of the Letters
    [​IMG]

Front view
    [​IMG]

Thanks for giving it a view
    [​IMG]

Check out the Video! This is the whole point of the case moD
    :rock: :rock: :rock:

I wish the camera was of a higher quality, even though you cant see it, the bottom two led's flash at different intervals than the left and right ones. It's quite a show, but because of how much light is emitted the camera tends to not pick up on it that well.

Last edited: 25 Aug 2009
    stonedsurd likes this.
  14. SNiiPE_DoGG

SNiiPE_DoGG Engineering The Extreme

that looks crazy cool man, I think you should incorporate a few more lights that stay on all the time so the transitions are not as harsh ;) but very very cool, great work on that.

could you do the video with the music laid down in the computer, would sound better and add to the effect because right now I can see the bass, but I cant hear it

15. HiRO

HiRO Humble Modder

^^Here SNiiPE_DoGG i linked another one for you with a little more base for you.
    But, what do you mean "music laid down in the computer"
    Ty for posting SNiiPE Mr. Million dollar PC :thumb:

SNiiPE_DoGG likes this.
  16. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

omg it's AMAZING! :jawdrop:

That translucent effect is HOT.

EDIT: Repped and added starz ;)

17. BlackWhizz

BlackWhizz What's a Dremel?

May be you can light up those chinese thingeys that meen Hero always. I bet it would look much nicer.

18. HiRO

HiRO Humble Modder

Ty so very much stonedsurd! It's crazy fun while playing call of duty and seeing my computer BOOM when i head shot someone with a sniper or when i get 'naded :-( lol

I really like that idea, like plus a constant cannon white led behind the characters and put a funel or something around it? Gooood idea, ty BlackWhizz

BlackWhizz likes this.
  19. BlackWhizz

BlackWhizz What's a Dremel?

Sorry for the kick, but whats the schematic of that sound-reactive controller? And is it possible to switch it to light constantly?

20. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

I don't normally like sounds reaction lights in mods but this is definatly an exception! It turned out really well. This would be such a head turner at a LAN party.