1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Gigabyte Sniper M3 CPU slot pin damage perhaps?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kronos, 24 May 2016.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Just had a bundle, Gigabyte £niper M3, i5 2500K and 8GB (4 x 2GB) Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 4GB DDR3-1600 which I sold returned to me as the buyer was having freezing issues.

First thing I note is that there appears to be, I say appears as even with a magnifying glass I am not absolutely certain, a couple of bent pins. This was my working system prior to being sold two days after upgrading to Skylake the CPU slot protector was installed the minute the CPU was removed. Now I know I am going to have to take a hit on the motherboard at least. But is there anything I can do with the motherboard by way of checks apart I suppose installing Windows as the buyer said he managed that?

I have organised other RAM via the Marketplace as that is where I assumed the issues lay.

Last edited: 24 May 2016
  2. rollo

rollo Modder

Post a photo of the CPU socket Glenn and we can have a look.

You can take a photo of the CPU as well if you want and we can check the pins on that.

3. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

No way can I get a decent photo of these with my camera but I will try. Did not think to check the CPU though.

4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Bent pins can cause all sorts of havoc Glenn. Ram errors, Ram being reported incorrectly (the amount) and so on.

I've always found it incredibly odd that the CPU refused to overclock. With a set up like that all you have to do is raise the multi and add a little volts. I know you're not a computer genius (no offence meant) but yeah, OC on Sandy was pretty much a given even if you had absolutely no idea.

I had a board with one snapped pin. It stopped the motherboard working completely :( VDDC pin so voltage for something somewhere :S

5. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Funny how it worked for so long, years in fact.
    I am just going to bin it.
    Thanks all.

6. Vault-Tec

Noo don't do that dude. Give it to some one for postage or something.

7. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

A number of members would be happy to take a look and give an unbiased opinion on the board including myself, I also have a spare Gigabyt Z77 board that I could test the CPU in :thumb:

8. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I am not feeling particularly generous at the moment seeing as these two pins are costing me £170.

9. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Thanks for your kind offer but feel I have spent enough on this and the best way forward is, note to self check and photograph area in the future, though at the end of the day I suspect you would still need to take the hit.
    I certainly do not mind sending the CPU your way just in case of an issue could you do the RAM at the same time?

10. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

Send me the board glen I'll see if I can get it going then I'll send it back mate

11. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Thanks for the offer Sam but I think to be fair I have to decline. Even should you manage to sort it I could not in all honesty resell the board as this issue would niggle me. So I will bung it on the Marketplace and see if I can get a few quid for it.

12. rollo

rollo Modder

Glenn use camera phone and let us take a look at it. We could then tell you if its the cpu socket.

13. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

The camera on your phone will take a perfectly fine picture. :)

14. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Any camera with a macro mode will take a good enough picture of the socket. Macro modes are often indicated by a flower logo.

Like this:

[​IMG]

15. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Lol, I know what that is but I have just realised that although my bridge camera has that mode the lens casts a shadow over the item you are trying to image. This is the best I can do with the phone.

[​IMG]

16. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

Fook me glen I thought it would be bad lol. Try aligning 30 odd pins. 10second job buddy

17. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Sending the board ETC to TheMadDutchDude,
    Many thanks for all the other offers from the usual Bit-Tech family, much appreciated.

Last edited: 25 May 2016
  18. Vault-Tec

Well that finally explains all of your issues Glenn. When I had issues with my 1366 board I downloaded the pin outs and sat there all day figuring out which pins I had damaged. I won't do that for you as it seems they are easily repaired but they are roughly in the same region as mine which were voltage pins. That could make a lot of sense, and be why it just bombed every time you tried to up the clocks.

Got my fingers crossed for you that she's fully repairable and will be fixed :)

19. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

You're right Glenn, this is a family - certainly a community that I am really happy to be involved with.

I'm delighted that you could get help, and know that TMDD is a great guy. I have met him twice and bought kit from him in person, as he's only 25mins up the road from me.

Here's to your board being back and at full strength!