1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide Shooting Motorsports

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Djayness, 13 Mar 2014.

1. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

I just went to the World Super Bikes in Phillip Island, Melbourne and decided to put together a very introductory guide to shooting motorsports :) Enjoy!

2. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

/facepalm

focus lock?

Bro, do you even use a Nikon?

Please, Buy real gear. Use the proper AF modes, don't spread FUD, and FFS don't confuse the people with advise that is simply wrong.

Yes, I have done this many times for clients that paid money. Yes, I used AF-C. Yes, I used shutter priority and left the aperture float. Yes, it went way past f5.6, and controlled it with ISO When I wanted DOF. Yes, a good modern camera can handle it (D300, D2x, D3, D700).

No, not all the info is this 2 min video is correct.

3. yazooo

yazooo What's a Dremel?

Johnny, any chance you could put together some of your tips then for shooting motorsports. I am heading to an F1 race later this year, I'm not expecting fantastic shots yet as I'm still a beginner but some hints would be nice.

My kit is Nikon D7100, SB700 and kit lens 18-105. I am already looking at a telephoto lens as my next purchase.

4. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

I don't use a Nikon, I use an A7.

Advising people to use "real gear" and AF-C on bikes travelling down a straight at 300km/hr is idiotic at best, regardless of how much money you seem to think clients pay you.

For starters, it's "advice", not advise and you still haven't explained what was wrong with the video, other than the fact I wasn't using a Nikon :clap: (which btw, use Sony sensors).

Good job mate :)

5. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Just spotted this!

Focus lock is handy when you dont have enough time to track the riders/cars (for example exiting a blind corner or when a spectators massive head is in the way).

Otherwise it is best to use AIServo or continuous AF to track your subject through the shot. (I find I get more keepers that way)

Also I would add to the vid the importance of moving around! Dont stay in ine place because when you get home you wont bother looking at all your images!

Another good addition would be to explain how to shoot through fencing. Something that we all ha e to learn in the early days.

Soooo many more things that could be added to the vid but probably too much for a 'getting started' vid.

You can see my stuff at www.polarityphoto.co.uk or www.flickr.com/photos/polarityphotos

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

6. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

aren't you contradicting yourself as tips 2 & 3 can't be done at the same time, you can't focus lock & pan it just wont work :facepalm:

7. bdigital

Pretty sure you can? Although I wouldnt recommend it for bikes; they are going so fast, and can be small in the frame so its hard to release the shutter bang on the right point.

Im not saying it cant be done though as locking your focus to a certain place is a valid way of shooting. I just dont use it unless its very particular circumstances (as stated above, when there is little or no time to track the subject)

To provide a little more flexibility I prefer to seperate AF from the shutter release. This means no messing around with locking focus. You just point, focus and shoot.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Last edited: 12 May 2014
  8. bdigital