1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Which Monitor?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by matt_lumley, 8 Jul 2012.

1. matt_lumley

matt_lumley You're only supposed to...

Hey guys,

So having just got back from holiday :)thumb:) I have realised I am going to need a proper monitor for when I go to university in september as I am not taking my 32" TV with me in the first year but am taking my PC.

I love the look of the dells and having used them I really want one.

Looking for 24" ideally so there are only 2 real options:

Dell U2412M

Dell U2410

Now I'm not too sure what the main difference is between the two, I know the second has more inputs but what else am I getting etc for my extra £100+.

I wasnt looking to spend over £250 really but if the U2410 is much better then I can probably stretch to it.

Any input is useful (normally) so I look forward to your replies.

Matt :rock:

2. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

To be honest, have not got a clue as to the difference. I will say have just upgraded from the U2410 to the U2711 and I can say the 24 was a stunning monitor to use puts every other monitor I have had to shame. I have an Acer as a secondary monitor and compared to the Dell it is rubbish.

Not much help to your question, but you won't be disappointed, plus you get a 3 year pretty comprehensive warranty.

3. matt_lumley

I have got to say the warranty pleases me, especially as I will be at uni for ~3 years so should be good! Thanks

4. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

You'll have to wait for GoodBytes full the full low down on the differences, but from what I can see, the big differences are that the U2412 is a little slower (8ms gtg, as opposed to 6ms gtg), and isn't as bright (300cd/m2 as opposed to 400cd/m2). The brightness isn't an issue, because the monitor should be run at a fraction of it's full brightness anyway in order to get accurate colours.

Whilst I can't be bothered to check, I'm guessing that the U2412 uses LED backlighting as opposed to the U2410 which uses CFL. LED is generally considered inferior as far as colour accuracy goes, but does use less power.

There is probably big differences in the quality of IPS screen used, but don't know what they are. GoodBytes will and I'm sure he'll be along shortly.

matt_lumley likes this.
  5. matt_lumley

Thanks :) I was waiting for Goodbytes to turn up, after all he is the god of all things monitors. If I'm honest I just want to make sure I'm getting the best for my money :thumb:

6. terrorbyt

terrorbyt MultiModder

I have 2x £100 22" monitors and they allow me to do uni work much more productively than 1 expensive monitor ever could. Just something to think about :)

matt_lumley likes this.
  7. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I would agree with terrorbyt, in terms of it's worth thinking about whether a single nice IPS panel is the best option for you (I personally haven't been that impressed with my U23 compared to my Hanns.G TN panel when it comes to colours etc)

However, both of those monitors are fantastic, I would lean towards the U2412M, since while yes it in theory isn't quite as good as the U2410, it's less money, and will still be a very high quality monitor (something I've been very impressed with my DELL is the build quality etc)

8. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

This, but with 2x23" ones. Depending what your doing a second screen is amazing (for referencing as you work, multi tasking or just simply having a TV program playing while you do boring work...)

9. matt_lumley

I love the idea of multi-monitor set up but for ease of transport etc i can see it being a pain in the arse.

I am leaning towards the 2412M purely for the fact that I get many of the features of the 2410, a lot less cost, same warranty and coming from my LCD TV it will still be a huge step up.

10. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Its not really, just 1 more box. What degree are you doing?

11. matt_lumley

Biomedical Science @ Manchester University, how about you?

12. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Robotics @ UWE

I'd really go for a second screen then, as you'll have to be referencing alot of material i assume...

13. GeorgeStorm

My work productivity at uni has definitely risen since getting a 2nd screen, no doubts about it, (currently use my hanns.g normally then my dell in portrait to the left)

Also, they don't have to take up much room, you could probably fit both monitors in the box of one depending on the model by getting rid of the packaging and just manually pad them with a towel or something.

matt_lumley likes this.
  14. matt_lumley

Damn you Bloody_Pete now I want 2 monitors! haha.

Yeah probably will be doing a lot of referencing.

15. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Got for 2 of the 23" models then :)

matt_lumley likes this.
  16. matt_lumley

What 23" models would you suggest?

17. HybridCore

HybridCore What's a Dremel?

You can read the TFTCentral.co.uk review of both monitors. Essentially, you won't notice an enormous difference in use. The general specifications are the same, like resolution (1920 x 1200) and aspect ratio (16:10). The U2410 uses an H-IPS panel, and the U2412M using an E-IPS. The difference? Not much. They're both IPS panels so they both offer great viewing angles and color reproduction (for stock. When calibrated, they're even better). The U2410 uses CCFL. They're both great, but WLED is just more energy efficient. It's not like day and night. Maybe a few cents more on your power bill.

I know you like Dell, but may I recommend something? If you head over to Overclock.net and look in the monitor section (sounds like I'm advertising my forum of origin. Not trying to), you can see that inexpensive Korean monitors have become rather popular. I'll try to give you a brief overview in the next paragraph.

These inexpensive Korean monitors are 27" IPS monitors with a 16:9 ratio and a resolution of 2560 x 1440 S-IPS panels with WLED backlighting. They can be bought from ebay (plenty of trustable sellers) for $400 (I didn't check the price in euros and I don't know how much the USD to euro rate is) which falls right between the price of the U2410 and U2412M in America ($369.00 USD (U2412M) and $549.00 USD (U2410) on Dell's website). Usually other 27" IPS monitors can cost 2x to 3x the price. You're probably wondering why these monitors are so inexpensive. These use the so-called "rejects". There's a grading system for panels, but we'll only be using the A range. A+ panels are sent to companies such as Dell or Apple which have no issues whatsoever. The panels used in these Korean monitors are A and A- panels which have some small imperfections like dead or stuck pixels or slight backlight leakage. It's nothing to complain about because they offer the same great color reproduction and viewing angles, so I don't think you should be complaining when they cost as less as 1/2 to 1/3 the price of other 27" IPS monitors with just slightly better A+ panels.

Edit: Here are the TFTCentral.co.uk reviews. There's a comparison between the U2410 and U2412M near the very bottom in the U2412M review.

U2410 http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2410.htm

U2412M http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2412m.htm

If you'd prefer getting two 23" monitors, I would recommend the Dell U2312HM. Also, if you want a 24" still, I'd also recommend HP's ZR2440w alongside the Dell's you're already looking at.

Jaybles and matt_lumley like this.
  18. matt_lumley

Thank you HybridCore +rep for you input (as with everyone involved).

Ill certainly have a look into it and have a browse about, im always sceptical of ebay but if there is a real feeling of safety in numbers then im sure I could be persuaded to take a plunge.

19. GeorgeStorm

There have been many people who've bought one of the Korean monitors with great success, however some haven't, and it's a bit of a hassle to return if something goes wrong (although you shouldn't be out of pocket since most of them say they'll pay return postage)

It's something I've considered, but I don't have the money to switch my hanns.g for one at the moment sadly.

20. matt_lumley

Now convincing myself that a 23" one now and then potentially get another further down the line is a better idea...

Tags: