1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News OcUK launches RENDA professional workstations

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 5 Dec 2014.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

2. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

Advertisement or article?

3. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

I'm sure I read an article a while back that showed normal top-end gfx cards are just as capable if not more so compared to these supposed 'professional' cards are at rendering and encoding tasks. I wonder if that's still the case, or are there programs in use nowerdays that really do require the stupidly expensive cards...

4. HandMadeAndroid

HandMadeAndroid That's handy.

It's to do with the drivers and float point accuracy.

5. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

In my personal experience, you're mostly right . For example, SolidWorks (my favourite programme of all time) runs very well on almost anything, even integrated graphics; however, a proper workstation GPU does handle larger files better and allows an additional real time rendering mode. Unigraphics on the other hand (probably my least favourite programme of all time) crawls along unless a workstation GPU is used.

Another bit of software I use is called Magics, which is an STL handling programme (the file format used by most additive manufacturing machines). This can be run on 'normal' hardware, but if handling what I would consider 'large' files, it's a slide show unless you're using a workstation GPU.

6. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

Workstations also provide more options for CPU's (or more then one physical) with way more CPU cache, very different motherboard chipsets, and ECC memory matters in some contexts too.

Are the workstation GPU's more powerful for OpenCL or CUDA?

7. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

I'm evaluating a GTX980 for Da Vinci Resolve at the moment - it's a piece of software that does colour grading for movies. Among its more taxing features are things like temporal noise reduction and it is all done on the GPU. Do 3-frame noise reduction on 4K footage and you can bring the 980 to its knees.

There's always more, and someone will always want it.

8. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

If this is a paid for "advertorial" it should be disclosed.

9. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

Difficult one to call really. You could argue that pretty much every article in the BT news, or any other tech site borders on advertising as it often shows a new product for a particular company - but the where would get our industry news? We rely on sites like this one and all our other favourites to keep us updated on what's happening.

On this particular article, although it does look vaguely like an advert, I think it's more to do with the logo at the bottom, which could have been left out. Other than that, I can't see how the author would show it better without omitting the facts, other than rolling up lots of industry news into one article - I prefer separate items. This seems to be OcUK branching out into new territory, so I would say that this is worthy of an article.

10. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

As the only comment is on "Overclockers UK's highly respected customer service" I'd say it comes across as a paid posting.

Don't know if it really is, and don't care.

As long as money doesn't change hands to get products reviewed, or reviews improved, or competitors not featured I couldn't care less if copy+and+paste press released end up as news articles.

Until that is bit-tech becomes another Hexus clone with more "New product from C grade OEM" articles that decent features.

11. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

HAHAHAHAHA!

<breathes/>

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

HAHAHAHAH!

Funniest thing I've seen all day.

Tags: Add Tags