1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Best TIM for delidding

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parge, 20 Aug 2015.

1. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Hi guys.

Instead of upgrading to Skylake, I’ve bought a 99p pack of razor blades, and I’m thinking about delidding. Now, if I’m going to do this, I want to do it right, and that includes choosing the right TIM for the job.

Does anybody have any recommendations for what to use?

2. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Think Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra is the accepted choice for die to IHS.

3. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

Tom give Brendan aka TheMadDutchDude a yell, he'll see you right :thumb:

4. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

Using Coollaboratory Liquid Pro on my delidded 4670k! The temperature difference even with just my AIO cooler was insane! Do it!

(Just make sure your cooler doesn't have an aluminium contact plate)

5. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Am using MX4 on my 3570k atm, temp drop was pretty decent. Need to get some CLU bought tho I think.

Altho from what I've read the TIM choice for IHS to heat sink is far less critical and things like MX4 are in pretty common use.

6. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Brave man <3

7. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Hardcore people like me don't even put the IHS back on. I always preferred being naked anyway!

8. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I use Coollaboratory Liquid Pro on my 3770K.

[​IMG]

I gotta be free, man!

9. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

I thought this was a given!

Why delid, just to put it back on? If you're scared of crushing the cores without the IHS, you're probably too scared to crack it open in the first place!

10. Parge

Well replacing the poor quality TIM that Intel use will still net you up to about 15C of a drop. I'll not be running it 'naked' I don't think.

11. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

The razor blade method is pretty risky. As is the vice (yet to steer me wrong) method. It all is in all honesty.

I've seen a different idea (I've not tired it myself though) where you use dental floss. It's thin yet strong enough to get under the IHS and tough enough to get through the glue too. You need to warm the CPU up a little with a hair dryer or above a flame (be careful with that, use your common sense) just to soften the glue a little.

I personally hate the razor blade method as one little scuff and your chip is gone. I'd try the dental floss method first, although I've never done it so I don't know how it will work out. :D

De-lidding gives a massive drop in temps. My 4770K dropped by 22c by de-lidding and lapping the IHS.

Be warned, CLU eats away at the CPU ever, ever so slightly and it leaves a horrible duff look on the core. I'm not sure how it affects it in the long run, but I haven't had an issue running it on a CPU (turned on 24/7) for over a year.

12. Parge

Brilliant! Thanks very much for the input. I'll have a go at dental floss! Shall I make a video, so you can all see the results, either way?

I've heard that about CLU - its pretty pricey too... what is second best?

13. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

You seen the video of the guy putting it in a vice and knocking the top off with a hammer?

14. Parge

Yes but I don't have a vice or balls as big as a melon! :thumb:

15. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

I'm one of the prats that's killed a 3770k with the razor blade method. I slipped, went too deep and it was all over too quick :naughty: . Seriously though, I killed my cpu.

16. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

I've seen pictures, your bawls are pretty big. But I agree, I wouldn't try that method. Thumbs up for you for doing it though, a braver man than I.

17. TheMadDutchDude

CLU is the best as it doesn't dry up or go hard over time (which can happen... apparently).

I did use Noctua NT-H1 for a while but the CLU just made it that much better. You only need a tiny bit. I'd say you can easily apply it five or six times before it runs out.

Let me know how the dental floss works out. Just remember to warm the chip up so that the glue softens!

I'd offer to do it for you, but I assume absolutely NO responsibility if it were to go wrong in the vice. :D

18. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

19. TheMadDutchDude

Direct die mounting is dangerous and I wouldn't recommend it. It's far too easy to crack the die with a little too much pressure. That MSI guard is purely to keep the CPU from moving in the socket as you mount the cooler. Yes, you will get a couple of degrees more off on your temperatures, but the risk of cracking the die is far greater which is a big negative in my books.

Just my advice. :)

20. Digerati

Digerati Minimodder

Any good quality TIM will do. If you look at the reviews, typically the difference from the worst to the best is only 3-4°C at most. And if you really need that extra 3-4°, then you have other problems - like inadequate case cooling.

More important than the brand of TIM is ensuring a proper application.