1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft: iPhone 4 is Apple's Vista

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 15 Jul 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

This really does leave Apple with egg on their faces. They tried to smooth out the problem with their usually confident stance but when their own fanboys start crying foul then they had to realise the writing was on the wall with this problem.

Now when much pillared Microsoft start making valid jokes about you, you know the game is up. Stick a fork in the iPhone4, it's done!

3. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Gotta say, Apple have really screwed up the iPhone 4. So glad I sold my 3G. Seeing other phones on the market, it's pretty clear that while the first and second iPhones were brilliant ideas, now it's just relying solely on the hype, and there are better, faster, cheaper and certainly less tied-down alternatives out there.

4. cgthomas

cgthomas Cpt. Handsome

If they don't fix the signal issue it might then be the end to the hype.
    I love my 3GS though - you know that a phone is special when you use it to write comments on bit tech

5. crazyceo

I actually believe Apple didn't need to replace the 3GS but then they needed to add the front and back cameras. If the hype just dropped down a touch they probably wouldn't be looking as bad as they do now.

6. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Oh, come on guys! It's just the algorithm calculating the signal strength! There's no signal loss when shorting the two antennas! The bars are just not displaying the strength properly:

It's piss-poor ALL THE TIME!

It could've been such a great phone, the looks definitely appeal and the "old" iPhones are kinda nice, but I'll stick to my Android phone, thank you very much.

7. raxonb

raxonb Minimodder

It is good that Vista is seen as bad from one of their own, and why not let MS take a few hits at Apple? I hope Windows 7 mobile wipes the floor with the iPhone4.

I too think the iPhone hype is way overrated. A couple of months ago on the radio there was a talk about the greatest inventions, such as the wheel, telephone and other breakthrough technologies we certainly couldn't live without today. And some kid rings in suggesting the iPhone should be amongst these great inventions because it has apps that and I quote "lets u do sum kool stuff innit bruv." Such nonsense really annoys me.

Please assure me this site will never become ibit-tech.com

8. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

Live by the hype, die by the hype,

9. knuck

knuck Hate your face

well they had to fuk up eventually. They weren't going to release 'perfect' products every time

10. Tasslehoff

Tasslehoff What's a Dremel?

I think i will be replacing my 3GS which has served me excellently with a Android device of some description
    I really like the Dell Streak atm

11. knuck

knuck Hate your face

It looks a little big to carry around as a phone, doesn't it ? 5" screen, that's kinda huge !

12. SteveU

SteveU Minimodder

I'm not being funny but Vista was ALWAYS a dog, the iPhone is a great phone marred by a monumental cock-up!

13. crazyceo

Actually, Vista only failed due to first release bad press. Using Vista now is not a bad experience.

However, the iPhone4 is the smelly deceased dog about to be put down as no amount of weeping dog lovers will save this puppy from the needle. Hence, the major recall about to go down tomorrow.

14. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Oh my...

Am I the only person who puts their current phone in a case? I've done that with my iPhone since I got it. So the signal on an iPhone 4 attenuates a bit when holding it left handed and naked, so what? (the phone being naked that is - I don't think the clothing status of the user matters that much)

The only thing stopping me form getting an iPhone 4 is I don't need to spend the money right now.

The area where Apple probably boobed is I don't think they've only just realised the signal bars were set as they were, I'm sure it was to give people the impression they had great signal when they didn't - and this was all likely due to how crap AT&T are in the US.

15. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

don't understand people's view against Vista, win 7 is basically re-sinked Vista.

by Friday, we'll know how Apple is going to handle this situation, nothing worth gossiping about.

16. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

+1, I used Vista in '08-'09 and I never really understood why everyone hated it so much.

So, the phone doesn't work properly as sold. If it needs a case, or an insulating coating or something, they should either have supplied one with it or made it explicitly clear that you would need to purchase one in addition to the phone. Lots of people don't put their phones in a case and don't expect it to malfunction as a result; that's a legitimate expectation.

I don't believe one word of that press release. The issue isn't how Apple's iPhones interpret signal bars; the issue is that the signal plummets if you hold the phone in the specified manner. Apple are trying to pass the blame here; when they say that actually it's the network's fault and the signal has been crappy all along, they're hoping to deflect the heat onto the networks. I've got cash in hand waiting to buy an iPhone 4; the issue is that it's my left hand and I'm not buying until this is resolved...

17. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

yay M$ :) google and apple have replaced you as the great evil and with Win7 and WinPhone7 we can be buds again!

18. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

i never really had an issue with vista, i think the biggest problem, was that it was put on low end machines and expected to work, i recently went to a customer who had a vista machine with only 512MB ram, needless to say it struggled getting things done, put in 2GB and it was ok, for a £350 machine.

19. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Aw bless them; Microsoft don't often get a chance like this to have a digg at Apple like this.

20. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

I wish Apple would hurry up and recall the phones, fix it and ship it back out with no issues. Then I can get one.

Tags: Add Tags