1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling Need a better pump

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rofl_Waffle, 30 Oct 2010.

1. Rofl_Waffle

Rofl_Waffle What's a Dremel?

I am using a MCP 655 w/ custom EK top right now. I think putting a 3x120 radiator, CPU block, video card, and chipset is a bit too much. Though temps are fine, I think they can be better.

Thinking of getting a whole new pump or adding one in. Won't be doing dual loop because honestly that would look cluttered and ugly. If I run two pumps, im definitely going to run one right into the other because running it to a block and back to another pump looks silly.

At any rate should I just add another MCP 655 pump to the combo?
    or add a MCP 355 w/ custom top. I don't know about mixing pumps though.

That or a whole new pump. Two pumps is clunky in its own way since I would need to figure out where to hide it. Is the MCP 355 w/ better top much better? People are giving mixed adviced because they are biased towards the pump they own.

2. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

MCP 355 with custom top tbh. The 355 is just a Laing DDC, which for mutiple blocks and rads is better, it has a higher head pressure. If you really want a new pump I'd go for that one tbh.

3. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I'm not sure adding/replacing the pump will give you significant decreases in temp. I tested the pump speed settings on system with a MCP-655, 480 & 240 Rads, 2 x MCW-60 blocks and a Heatkiller (which is pretty restrictive especially after adding a silicone seal mod). Running it at Speed 1 increased the CPU temp by 1ºC compared to Speed 3-5. Speed 3 was adequate. Overall temps were pretty good for a 920 overclocked to 4.2GHz (1.31v) hitting 37ºC above ambient.

4. Rofl_Waffle

I read about it and it seens a lot better for multiple blocks but still there are some questions unanswered.

What can i expect out of two MCP655 or 655+355. I might just go for a single 355 but i want to know how bad dual pumps scale first. TBH im not a fan of extra noise.

Theres also the MCP35X which just seems to be just a 355 with top but warranty and PWM control.

Thats also interesting. The graphs on head pressure makes the MCP355 with top seem much better but exactly how much does flow rate even count? I might not even neev a pump. My i7 930 is at 50c on load with 1.26v 4ghz. Which is not great but im starting to think thats just my single 360 radiator fault.

Last edited: 30 Oct 2010
  5. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

I really wouldn't mix pumps, they won't be pumping the same amount of water, could create some interesting scenarios.

I would stay away from the MCP35X, why would you need PWN on a pump? The pumps noise isn't all that noticeable at full whack. Can't hear mine and it's only a foot away from my head. Seems a little gimicky to me, if you want to control the speed, get a fan controller.

I don't see why you need a new pump though.

6. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

It's probably only better for flow rates if they're currently under about 0.85GPM (5LPM). My understanding is that you'd want 2 pumps the same running at the same speeds rather than a 655 and 355 so as to get a balanced flow.

If I was looking for another pump with higher pressure I'd probably get a 35X for the reasons you state.

If you use pump tops it's worth waiting for this to arrive and add your own top http://www.aquatuning.co.uk/product_info.php/info/p10620_Alphacool-VPP655---single-edition.html

7. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

You don't mix pumps of different types. Period. That's just asking for trouble.

If your blocks are highly restrictive, MCP-355 will serve you better than 655 as it has higher head pressure. Though I doubt 3 blocks and a rad would introduce that much restriction, unless you're sporting obscene amount of 90 degree fittings?

Also, what fans are you using on your rad? Maybe there's an upgrade option, too.

8. Rofl_Waffle

Im using 3 gentle typhoons. Before i had 3 noctua 120mm on it for 6 fans but that was noisy and didnt really make a difference. 3 slightly faster running fans has similar thermals but much less noise.