1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Dulaney: 3G iPhone on the way

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 28 Mar 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Joeymac

Joeymac What's a Dremel?

Well mobile phones all get updated every 6-12 months. My new phone has been superseded since I got it a few months ago. Do I have a problem with that?? No! Am I labelled an "early adopter" of that model and does the entire tech press care if my feelings are hurt NO! CAUSE ITS A PHONE! My TV has been updated twice since I got it not even a year ago.... do I care NO!!!!!

I like my ipod as much as the next person who's too lazy to find an alternative or migrate my music library from itunes... I would like to get me a modbook (yes, a "mod"... book, not a misspelling) so I'm not an apple hater by any means. But this is a frickin phone. Please please stop. I don't care if they put 3G in it, does the tech world spray their shorts if Nokia add HSDPA to one of their low on features mid-range handsets? No, because no one cares.

3. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Ah.. Time to sell mine on eBay :p

4. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

No, the time to do that would have been yesterday.

HTH

5. D3s3rt_F0x

D3s3rt_F0x What's a Dremel?

Still dont see there being a big take up of it simply for the fact unless you got money to burn I can think of much better things to spend my cash on than something where the contracts are diabolical for the price.

The camera lets it down heavily as well everyone I know wants a mobile phone so they can take pictures and videos when out and about after can it make phone calls and send txts.

6. itchyeyes

itchyeyes What's a Dremel?

How is Apple screwing its customers? People knew exactly what they were buying when the bought a 1g or 2g iPhone. Not only that, but a 3G iPhone has been inevitable since the moment Steve Jobs first announced the iPhone almost a year and a half ago. Early adopters iPhones will still work just as well as they did before the 3G version. What exactly is there to complain about here?

7. sandys

sandys Multimodder

its very handy having a 3G web enabled phone, companies like 3UK now offer 3G relatively cheaply via pay and go, I've found it a valuable tool, cheaper than using a 118 service for example when you want to know something, 50p, you have the web for 24hrs, I know nothing of the Apple kit though but it looks nice on the TV :lol:

8. Echo

Echo What's a Dremel?

3G?? Why can't it be HSDPA?? I could rant for hours about how much I'm hating the mobile phone industry right now...

9. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

HSDPA is 3G. 3G just relates to the generation of connection protocol, not the specific type itself, just like GSM incorporates GPRS and EDGE.

10. Echo

Echo What's a Dremel?

So when phone companies are claiming hsdpa is faster 3g, i presume they are just talking about speeds?

11. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

I've heard people say HDSPA is like "3.5g" - I think it's got double the bandwidth of the standard 3g or something. 3G started with UMTS which goes up to 400kbit/s (50kb/s), whereas HDSPA starts at 1.8mbit/s (225kb/s). I don't know if you get that throughput, but I have a HDSPA phone and when the HDSPA works (basically when I'm in a city centre) it's as fast browsing as a PC with broadband.

12. TheCherub

TheCherub Minimodder

Actually, since O2 updated the contracts 2 months ago (ish), they are actually quite competitive, as they line up with the normal O2 ones.

13. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

In the same way GPRS is 2.5G and Edge is 2.75G, it's just naming conventions for a selection of different technologies. However, the bit that links them is all 2G techs work on the standard 2G GSM network infrastructure, where as all 3G techs (e.g. UMTS, HDSPA) require a totally different network infrastructure. If you've perfect GSM network coverage, and have a suitable phone, you can access GPRS and Edge, but that won't help if you want to use any 3G techs, you need good UMTS (3G) network coverage as well, which is why the iPhone didn't have a 3G connection, because there's simply very little UMTS network coverage in the US, it would have been pretty redundant.

Tags: Add Tags