1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Intel NUC - a mini-PC revolution?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 25 Feb 2013.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Tynecider

Tynecider Since ZX81

Small enough to mod into an atx case, nice.

3. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

As the focus from hardware manufacturers continues to be towards taking small performance steps forwards while leaping forward with regards to power draw and TDP, I can see over the lifespan of the next gen consoles we will have micro sized units that will actually outperform the consoles, be cheaper to build with, offer far more features and also come in for a cheaper all round price.
    If you are not a professional using high end PC hardware or an extreme game gaming at resolutions far and beyond that of 1080p then I see the next 2 years being very, very interesting indeed.

4. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

It's a nice thing to see intel leaping forward with this NUC, but imho it lacks a SATA-port for a big storage-HDD. Otherwisse this would be a very nice HTPC with enough power to throw some encoding/decoding-tasks at it.

5. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

Too much old hardware lying around - my media pc is based on a dual core socket 939 - completely out of date but it plays video at 1080, and does the general web browsing, video watching, youtube thing adequately. I know it could use less power, be smaller, run quieter, but it cost me nothing...

6. EvilRusk

EvilRusk What's a Dremel?

I agree. I have played about with Pi and my android phone docked to my monitor and they really make my desktop look like some kind of antique.

I have my Pi set up as a NAS / VPN / DLNA server but I'd like something with a bit more power like the Odroid http://www.hardkernel.com/renewal_2011/main.php but this Intel NUC looks more interesting still.

Practically every electronics device is a mini-pc these days so interesting times it is!

7. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

The idea of Intel's NUC is great. Shame the availablity a bit of an issue and that there is no SATA port, meaning you have to use more expensive MSATA hd.

8. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

9. azazel1024

azazel1024 What's a Dremel?

Meh, it would work as an HTPC for me. Some point soon I am going to be yanking the 32GB mSATA SSD out of my ultrabook (as well as its 500GB 2.5") to put a 240GB 2.5" SSD in there. I already have a spare 4GB SODIMM.

So I have the memory and storage taken care of. I'd just get the one with the network port and I have my HTPC. I stream everything off my server already, so I don't need more than 32GB of storage.

That is sufficient for OS and a few add-on applications as well as maybe an installed game or two...the kind of ones I'd used on an HTPC, such as a PSX or PS2 emulator and an ISO or two (granted only one at a time, but again, network connection, pull down or just run current ISO off the network. Server has dual intel NICs in it teamed right now as well as a pair of 2TB drives in RAID0, so bandwidth across the network is not an issue).

10. SchizoFrog

Correct me if I am wrong but ARM is only a temporary solution. Intel and AMD are working on some seriously low power x86 based processor and eventually they will over take ARM not just on the performance levels but on the efficiency front too.
    Maybe we will see a swing away from x86 as Microsoft has embraced ARM but with the likes of next gen consoles going the way of x86 based processors I can't see x86 going anywhere too soon. As I said, once x86 can keep it's instruction sets, performance AND bring in the small scale and efficiency... there just won't be a need for ARM.

11. stupido

stupido What's a Dremel?

:duh:

Last edited: 26 Feb 2013
  12. Boscoe

Boscoe Electronics extraordinaire.

What's the Thunderbolt for? I thought it was an Apple thing?

13. SchizoFrog

Uh, another one? It was developed with Intel as a development of Intel's original tech called 'Light Peak'.
    It's a high speed data link, fast enough to run and several high end devices or even a fairly powerful GPU card externally.

14. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

As said, it's an Intel thing, and it's a mini Displayport combined with a PCI-E 2.0 x4.

15. Gradius

Gradius IT Consultant

I hate that kind of cooler (same as on notebooks). They won't last at all!

Btw, this thing will need a new case for it. I might get one just for log purposes.

16. Xir

Xir Modder

Hmmm, with the HD4000 it's easily powerfull enough to make a HTPC, and also to replace a common grey office box.
    I'd use it for that, suppose someone puts a big cooler onto that thing, you'd have a passively cooled office box, no maintainance required. Not bad at all.
    (just silly to omit USB3 though)

17. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

If the likes of the WDTV wern't around, maybe I'd take interest. Other than digital signage and people who want a windows htpc, I see this as little more than intel trying to create a new market that, just like the netbook is under powered and needs to be upgraded regularly.

18. aLtikal

aLtikal 1338-One step infront of the pro's

Ahhh if only they had given this a MOLEX power input or a SATA Power connecter, Then we could fit this inside a PC....and have a PC, within a PC ha.

19. PingCrosby

PingCrosby What's a Dremel?

Ha ha ha haaaaaa, there's no such thing, next you'll be telling me there's a device for telling the time off your very own wrist, stuff and nonsense

20. Boscoe

Boscoe Electronics extraordinaire.

Thanks, I haven't really looked but the only thing I had seen Thunderbolt on was Apple gear. Apple also kind of made it their own really...

Tags: Add Tags