1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Samsung - Warranty

Discussion in 'General' started by Silver51, 14 Oct 2008.

1. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

I just need to get this off my chest. It's mostly *grr* @ Samsung if you want the short version.

I have an XL20 Syncmaster, a fantastic monitor which I bought as a replacement for my CRT. Unfortunately it's developed some issues. Green blobs that look like someone's airbrushed the screen from the inside. They're faint, but visible, especially on light colours (Google, the Bit forums at al.)

Decided to call Samsung and have it sorted out under warranty, as you do, but seriously, those people are difficult to work with. Originally the technician said that they would ship out a repaired panel and to have my defective panel ready for collection. Only that never quite happened because they don't have any spare panels for the XL20. It's been two weeks of calls, trying to get some resolution. They always promise to call back anywhere between a few hours or a few days but don't.

Actually, last time I called, they explained that the reason they hadn't called me back (in 2-3 business days) was that their third party repair company needed to source parts (which would have been about 28 days.) Only, as the young lady explained when I called to complain, they couldn't source any parts until the third party company had collected the panel.

Which is another issue. Amkotron, the people now responsible for repairing my monitor don't have any spare parts for the XL20. When I called them (surely that's not my job as the customer,) the lady on the other end of the phone was less than helpful. A lot of the time she couldn't be bothered to talk (which is a big part of using a telephone.) All she could suggest was that they take my monitor away for 28 days, but she wasn't sure that they could get any parts for it.

Back to Samsung. Apparently not wanting to wait for 1 month out of 12 to see if Amkotron *may* or *may not* find the bits to repair the monitor counts as me refusing repair under warranty. They don't provide a loan unit for that month either. Actually, as far as I could work out, Samsung had effectively closed the call without telling me because of this.

No, no ,no, I says. I *want* the monitor fixed, but being forced to wait a full month before I find out if anyone will or won't fix the damn thing? Plus any extra time to come to a freaking resolution (like shipping out a new XL20 that Samsung themselves make?) All they can do is apologise, but repeatedly say that the warranty says I'm only covered for repair of a defective monitor.

Actually, the warranty states:
    2. Samsung's obligations are limited to the repair or, at it's discretion, replacement of the product or the defective part.

I've been told, that even though Amkotron don't know if they can source any parts, and the monitor will likely be away for an entire month, they won't even think about replacing my monitor with a new one unless 28 days have passed.

We deal with a lot of monitors at work, ones much cheaper than the XL20, which is why I'm so pissed.

How is it that iiyama and edge10 can ship out a new panel and replace your defective one on the same day, but Samsung forces you to wait a full month while deciding whether they will or won't be able to repair your monitor?

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

What about the retailer?

3. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

I bought the monitor in April, they don't want to know. :sigh:

4. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I suggest you write a letter of complaint and as a future point of reference: Always note down peoples names and the time you called and what they said!

5. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

That might not be a bad idea. I'll draft something up and send it to their head office.

6. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Can't say I was overthrilled with Samsung's support when I had to RMA a hard drive. Had to call about three times before someone could direct me to the right form to submit a request and then wait a few days before it gets approved. I guess doing it over the phone would be too difficult :rolleyes: The fact that they don't realize/acknowledge that weird blobs definitely constitute a defective monitor is pretty idiotic, just like typical dead pixel policies. These companies really don't care about return customers or good PR.

FWIW the replacement did arrive fairly quick, but it was still a process I'd rather not repeat.

7. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

The retailer should still honour the warranty as it is warranted with then for 12 months from the date of purchase.
    If they refuse, go to trading standards.

8. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Samsung are picking the monitor up tomorrow, unfortunately. I might be able to borrow a CRT off my little brother, otherwise I have a Wind for Internet tomfoolery. The bit that I can't handle is that they're taking it away for an entire month. We only get twelve of them a year, ffs.

I will write them a letter. It will be long, possibly include complex words, but will be polite. Oxford polite. I'll do this tomorrow when I'm less *grr* and more *hmm*.

Tags: