1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics NVidia 'Maxwell' GTX 880 4GB

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guest-44432, 11 Apr 2014.

1. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Well, looks like NVidia are going to plan another crafty move by selling the GTX 880 as it's flag ship like they did the GTX 680, only to bring out another card like the Titan...

Going by the specs '256bit memory interface' makes me think this will be the case again...:rolleyes:

Saucy

The card looks pretty legit.

[​IMG]

Specs:

• 20 nm GM204 silicon
    • 7.9 billion transistors
    • 3,200 CUDA cores
    • 200 TMUs
    • 32 ROPs
    • 5.7 TFLOP/s single-precision floating-point throughput
    • 256-bit wide GDDR5 memory interface
    • 4 GB standard memory amount
    • 238 GB/s memory bandwidth
    • Clock speeds of 900 MHz core, 950 MHz GPU Boost, 7.40 GHz memory
    • 230W board power

Looking at this table, makes me believe even more so, that my above statement is close to the truth if all these specs are correct.

Saucy2

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Apr 2014
  2. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Release it and they will come (and buy).

3. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Yep, and that will be the time to buy a cheap Titan... :D

4. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Looks pretty tasty; the 256-bit wide memory interface and 238GB/s seems like an odd move though. It could be they're getting ready for a Dual GPU card like an 890 or something.

The 230w is lower than this gen in the power requirement; hopefully it's just more power efficient and not slower. The other specs look ace though. Should be interesting.

5. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Oh well suppose I better buy 4 then :hehe:

6. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Haven't you heard Teel? - Octo SLI is coming, so make room for 8!

Oh, and these are the new GTX 880 Ultra's!

[​IMG]

Hopefully someone will understand what I did there... :D

7. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I'll be waiting for the 980Ti to be released methinks. I have a feeling the 256 bit memory interface could be a bottleneck for high resolutions. Having said that, the 780s are still laughing at most things.

These 8xx series cards seem to be to the 7xx series what the 9xxx series was to the 8xxx series.

8. David164v8

David164v8 Minimodder

Is this going to be released any time soon?

9. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I'm sure it's not, but if that's what the actual card is going to look like then it's fugly... Nothing on the titan cooler design...

10. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I don't blame you! - Sounds like it! :sigh:

I'm gonna be sitting on the fence, but knowing me... :D

I'd imagine soon going by NVidia previous gens released date. So expect May/June time. ;)

May well be an engineering sample cooler.

Looking closely at the exhaust fins, I notice that these cards are still going to use an SLI bridge...

11. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I don't think the 256bit bus will cause an issue. as we've seen in the 750ti already, there's a massive increase in L2 cache for maxwell which should negate this. from the 750ti BT review 'This translates into less calls to the main GPU memory, which consumes more power and is higher latency.'

I recent years nvidia has done more with less memory

12. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Yeah I did read this somewhere too! - Well I'm sure the benchmarks will shut us up about the small memory bus. :)

13. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

i read it on another forum and passed it off as my own opinion. the fools bought it too! :hehe:

oh wait.... :worried:

kenco_uk likes this.
  14. rollo

rollo Modder

Not sure why people would not expect the cards to use a SLI bridge. I know AMD headed down the none CFX bridge route but its not a better way to do things just different.

Nvidia seems to make its cards work better with less memory interface and stuff like it. With 95% of the gaming population in the latest steam survey at 1080 the differences of using a bigger one vs a smaller one are not really there to see.

This will not be the biggest card in the maxwell series which will surely come with the higher interface required for 4k gaming.

Card looks like a engineering sample enough ill always take a exhaust card over a none exhaust card pre been able to water cool it just alot less issues.

Expect it to be priced around £500 on uk release which is about £60-£80 more than I paid for each 680 that I own from launch so its not gone up as much as people would expect.

Might buy 1 of them myself if they are shown to be faster than my old 2 cards together ( could always buy 2 other wise)

There is one thing I expect it to be pretty quiet and pretty power frugal as that is the way nvidia is heading with its GPUs these days.

15. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

16. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I will be waiting for the full Maxwell gpu's since looking at those specs I would hazard a guess at a 10% performance improvement over, a 780Ti with lower power usage and lower temperature.

17. BennieboyUK

BennieboyUK CPC Folder of the Month Sep 2011

Can't see me moving away from my triple 680 Classy's and 1440p for a good couple of years to be honest.

Only draw for me is the lower power (see what I did there?) but I don't play enough for it to matter.

18. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

That's a GTX 670 cooler, and, it looks like the PCB is the same size as the 670 too. So, it's either a 670, 760 or Nvidia are still being tight and releasing cheap crap for many $.

I'll go with the latter.

19. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

I reckon it's just showing off - whooping its predecessor, the 680, whilst adopting the heatsink and scale of its predecessor's lesser sibling, the 670. Just to rub its nose into it. :)

20. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

The only noses being rubbed are the people that buy them. If this is the 880 then it looks like a pile of cheap tat, that will no doubt cost lots of money.

Something Nvidia seem to like doing since Kepler it seems. Looking at the £150 750ti cooler this probably is the 880.