1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wii / Wii U I feel like i've made a mistake getting a Wii U

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Darkwisdom, 10 Jun 2014.

1. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

I bought a Wii U mostly for monster Hunter 3 and maybe a few other games, if they ever come out.

The problem is that developers are holding back or just completely blocking the Wii U from any releases. It has Nintendo games like Mario, Zelda etc. but nothing more it seems. I'm waiting on the new Super Smash Bros. Title, but it doesn't seem like it'll be a great year for the current least popular console. And i'm disappointed that Nintendo are only re releasing most games like the Wind Waker, I played it on gamecube; what's changed?

Have I made a mistake with getting a Wii u? Does anyone else feel this way?

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

No you have not.
    The WindWaker is a proper HD remake, the music and sound are the same in higher quality (due to more disc space, and system memory) updated textures, new shaders, completely increase of polygon count, 1080p, faster loading (fast sailing), and they improved the way to get the tri-force peace quest at the end of the game, which was annoying in the original game.

it is the only remake title on the WiiU.
    Third Party publishers are being stupid. My guess is that Microsoft or/and Sony pays them to make Ubisoft no make exclusive titles, as it makes no sense when the console started to do very well, you have third party publisher stabbing them

3. TrevDX

TrevDX Ah Who Cares Anyway???

At last confirmed figures there was 6.1 million Wii U's that have been sold through, from that there are probably a good percentage, like myself, who have other consoles or PC's capable of playing 3rd party games on more preferred systems (in my case X1) so realistically how many copies worldwide do you think a third party would sell on the Wii U alone? Maybe 500k possibly more probably less. At that point for Ubisoft & EA it's probably not really profitable to release exclusives for the Wii U. I don't get the delays when something has been announced as multi platform (like Watch Dogs) but then maybe they can't get it running as they'd like.

Also I don't think MS or Sony need to pay 3rd parties to not publish on Nintendo that's absurd they're not the direct competition for either company.

Back OT then truthfully I think it depends on what happens later today, if Nintendo announce a more robust release schedule of all the Nintendo ip's people want and new ip's that are interesting then maybe that'll get more Wii U's sold to instill some confidence in the 3rd parties.

I hope that they do get better just because although I want the Zelda's & Mario's it'd be nice for them to feel they can keep supporting it for a good few more years.

4. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Isn't Watch Dogs coming out on Wii U? Or are Ubisoft holding out on that too, now?

I desperately want a Wii-U, but the price of it at the moment is a little too high. £199 for a Premium package with no bundled game would do it for me.

5. TrevDX

TrevDX Ah Who Cares Anyway???

Watch Dogs is due later this year and Ubi are one company at the minute that are supporting with their multi platform games but you have to wonder how long that'll last with bad sales.

Also I'm not being deliberately all doom and gloom, I bought one from Tesco for £200 with MK8 and will pick up other Nintendo games and also hope that 3rd parties keep supporting it but the financials will end up getting in the way soon if sales don't pick up.

6. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

The Wii U is still selling terribly, yes Nintendo have been loudly proclaiming increased sales, but when the starting point is zero anything is an improvement. Six million units sold is about a third of what a new console normally sells in it's first year and a half.

I see some logic in Ubisoft's withholding titles, when the first two weeks are the biggest for sales, it makes no sense to publish to six and a bit million possible users when it could be ten million come the Christmas period and competition from anyone else than Nintendo itself is lacking.

7. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Yes, you made a mistake.

The WiiU is the next Dreamcast, basically. There's first party titles of high quality, but the important third party developers are abandoning the console due to a lack of hardware sales. No matter how Nintendo spin it, the WiiU is selling terribly, which means developers releasing a title on the WiiU know for a fact it will sell poorly. The games that do make it over are now becoming poor ports, missing features, due to the fact Nintendo didn't spec it up to compete with the PS4/Xbone, but more of a competitor to the PS3/Xbox 360.

So, it's down to first party. Personally, I'm getting tired of yet another Mario Kart, yet another Super Mario Bros and yet another Zelda that does little new. Sorry, but the blinkers came off a few years ago. Nintendo need new IP, but they seem utterly unwilling to develop any. I mean, for chrissakes, Mario Kart EIGHT? With the same bloody tracks!

8. GoodBytes

EA is banning WiiU. Even if it sold like the Wii, you would have no EA games, or half ass. All because Nintendo refused Origin on the console.

The problem is that people have the WiiU, don't have the only gaming system. They have a gaming PC, or another console. So, if you want a game to sell well on Nintendo, you need to have exclusive for it. If you are going to release it on PC where it is a game that an Intel integrated graphics will handle. It will be purchased on PC, especially that the game is cheaper on there.
    Most people that buy a PS4 or XBox One, don't have a gaming PC.

9. GoodBytes

The bundle comes with MK8 and a second game of your choice from a list., and the free game list are mostly excellent to very good. I think WiiU Party (if you have it in the U.K as a choice, is the worst, and to be honest it is a bad game, so avoid)

10. GoodBytes

The Wii and N64 was abandoned by third party, and they sold very well. Especially the Wii. No a single game was attempted to be made on it with some level effort, to see how much it will sale. And the B.S excuse that it is underpower is not the reason. Games being not in HD means drastic lower cost in making the game as you need to spend hours on end on every object and character on screen to adjust every polygon and texture to make it look nice.

It has to do with perception, and that wont' change until consumers sees it as a gaming system.
    Nintendo desn't care. The company has been a toy company since day 1. Every console they have made was THEIR console, for THEIR games. If you want to join, come in.

Sony and Microsoft console are going to devs and go: "We want to make a console for YOU. So what do you want?" That is why the PlayStation doesn't offer unique experiences, but rather the same console, with the same controller since PS1. The only real difference, is higher specs.

11. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

You've been on this forum how long and still don't know how to use the multiquote? Really?

The Wii sold well because Nintendo managed to tap the casual market, more by luck than judgement. Countless people purchased it for the sole ability to play Wii Sports, and the fact it was cheap. Look at the Wii software attachment rates - third party support was irrelevant. Nintendo literally lucked out and managed to sell loads of hardware, and were hoping the same would happen again this time round...which it hasn't.

The GameCube was also abandoned by 3rd party developers, to an extent. It sold terribly...but not as terribly as the WiiU. Perhaps that tells you something about Nintendo's inability to accept they've produced a hardware flop, or their inability to keep third parties interested.

Nintendo's "our way or the highway" is a retarded business model, as proven by the WiiU. They need to alter their business practices.

12. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Thing is; I loved both the Dreamcast and Gamecube far more than their competitors from their generations. The first party games were astonishingly good and third person support was good as well; they attracted less known publishers and some great gems were made. They didn't have EA support but... who needs EA support?

I hope Nintendo tries that with the Wii U, some less well known publishers or some indie titles made especially for the Wii U would be great.

Also, Wind Waker wasn't a total remake, it was just a HD update. Almost everything was the same. I completed wind waker on Gamecube 100% and I mean that; every pictobox statue. The Wii U version is just an update with a couple of tweaks to make life a bit easier for the player, better camera, fast sail etc.

I like the Wii U, I do; it's just there's so many developers refusing to make any games and theres some that keep pulling games etc. I don't like Consoles like the PS4 or XBone because they're just a Living Room console that does what a PC does...just much less. I like what the Wii U has going for it, I just wish more games were released. I don't want it to die a quick death like the Dreamcast did in its day.

Last edited: 10 Jun 2014
  13. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

If you can accept the WiiU will have nothing but Nintendo games and the occasional 3rd party title (that is also available on other platforms, with the very very very rare exclusive, such as Bayonetta 2) then you can come to accept the machine. Just don't ever expect it to have the breadth and variety you'll find elsewhere.

14. GoodBytes

Unrelated sub-topic deserves to be in separate posts.

And it was more powerful than the PS2 and cheaper due to smarter selection of hardware.
    Yup. I know.

Agreed.

But so far 99% of the games on the PS4 and XBox One you can play on your PC, at higher resolution, faster (higher fps), better visually looking, with better sound if you have a dedicated sound card, with good headphones/speakers.

So far, (I didn't watch E3 yet, so I could be now wrong, will watch later) there is nothing next gen on them. The gaming experience is identical to before, again, nothing next gen on that aspect.

Only Nintendo offers that, and that is the direction they are going because they said, they don't want to do a price war which they know they'll lose (Microsoft and Sony can sale their console for free, if they wanted, they have other sources of revenue, Nintendo does not).

15. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Yet the PC that does that will cost more, especially once you've paid for Windows, and offers less convenience for living room gamers. Everybody here knows the value of PC gaming, but console gaming is easy and accessible to all - it's why they sell so well.

"Next gen" isn't defined by some kookey control scheme that Nintendo cooks up, FYI. The console generations are defined by the release of subsequent hardware generations, which have basically been determined by graphical and processing power, with accompanying tweaks to the controllers and 'media' abilities since the 1980s. Nintendo's gaming experience is not vastly different to that of Sony or Microsoft - the second screen is underutilised, with all the 'action' taking place on the TV. The only game that has used the pad in an interesting way was the launch title ZombiiU.

Right now, Nintendo are offering a console where you can play yet another rehashed Zelda/Mario/Smash Bros game with a slightly different controller. They're not doing anything new either.

EDIT
    Surprise! Nintendo have announced the following at E3
    - Zelda
    - Mario Party 10
    - Star Fox
    - Mario vs Donkey Kong
    - Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
    - Hyrule Warriors
    - Pokemon (3DS)
    - Captain Toad (Super Mario spin-off)
    - Yoshi's Woolly World
    - Super Smash Bros 3 (3DS)

So, new IP in that list?
    Yeah, nothing. That's 10 new titles entirely drawing from the same pool. We have Zelda, Mario, Star Fox and Pokemon. Seriously. Any new IP at E3 has been from a tiny number of 3rd party (Japanese) studios - Level 5, Valhalla.

Last edited: 10 Jun 2014
  16. GoodBytes

Please re-read my post.

Incorrect, that is why people are annoyed about the lack of innovation in gaming. Next gen is about experiences that wa not possible before, now made possible. Like the jump from 2D to 3D. Or the ability to play games in HD. This time around the promise of 1080p 60fps games, is not being delivered at all. In fact, the WiiU is closer to it. It has 60fps games and as well 1080p games. Not together beside indie titles which are appearing on the console (it seams to be turning into an indie console, as indies are interested in console experience, and getting a dev kit is really cheap now, and compared to the others and has no requirement beside a registered name, and a safe to store the console, or alarm system in the office or HOME). On the PS4 and XBox One it's still 720p at 30fps most games. AI is the same as before not smarter, not more of it. Graphics are the somewhat the same (Look at WatchDog as an example).

People that never played Nintendo games, say that.
    Ignorance is bliss.

17. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Re-read your post? You didn't even make a point.

Incorrect? Perhaps you need to look at the defined console generations, because you're using your own definition here. We went through four generations before we switched from 2D to 3D, and another three before we went HD.

Also, the WiiU is delivering 1080p60 because Nintendo aren't delivering the same graphical quality. I guarantee the PS4/Xbone can produce identical visuals to the WiiU without breaking a sweat, but most developers are trying to push the boxes as far as they can, rather than Nintendo's approach of what is almost cartoon graphics at HD resolutions.

Also, check your facts. Most PS4 games are running at 1080p30, with some at 1080p60, with the Xbone running at 900p30. Not 720p30. Watch_Dogs is an incredibly poor example to pick as a sample of the new console performance - I'd suggest you go take a look at Infamous Second Son as an example of what can be done, rather than the poor effort Ubisoft have done. Even Assassins Creed IV is a better performer than Watch_Dogs.

I also don't get where you get to say I've never played Nintendo games. I've owned every single one of their consoles up to the Wii - so the only one I don't have is a WiiU. I've played their IP to the point I'm sick to death of yet another bloody Mario game.

18. GoodBytes

Yea yea, go back to your PS4.

19. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Ah yes, the mature answer when you realise you can't refute fact.

20. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

That's about the height of it. It's an awful console with rehashed content IMO.