1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Garage workshop ideas

Discussion in 'General' started by Guinevere, 22 May 2016.

1. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

So I've got a clay garden to dig up and drain, an earth-bag shed/summer house to build and a VR workstation to purchase and get working on...

But I've also got a disorganised single garage that needs sorting to turn it into a more useful space.

It's 5.5m x 3m and 2.3m tall and brick built. As well as needing to be more usable as a workshop, it's got to serve double+ duty as the family bikes are mounted in it, it's also storage for the usual garage stuff like camping gear, christmas decs etc. A single garage is pretty small compared to the US style of double garage / workshop - but I'm barely over 5' so it seems big to me :D

Current thinking is to use scaffolding poles & boards to rack out the rear wall to hold 36 x 64l Really Useful boxes or similar sized items. That should cover 99% of the storage needs and as it'll only be 80cm or so deep, it won't encroach too far into the space.

Tools & workbench areas aren't too hard to work out, I'll be constrained on size so there'll be no giant CNC or laser cutter - but basic stuff should be fine.

But I'm not certain on what to do with the floor. It's bog-standard garage concrete at the moment, so what would YOU do? Paint? Epoxy? Skim? Something modular?

And what about the walls? It's linked to the neighbours on one side, so I'm thinking of boarding out that side to provide a little bit of sound proofing and provide flexible mounting options for tools / storage etc. Everything else will get a basic white paint-job to lighten the place up.

Which brings me to lights? There's a crappy single 60w bulb right now, so I have a good excuse to do whatever I want. The electrics all need replacing, so I'm thinking of putting in bright LED strips up high, with maybe some additional brighter lights for above workbench use when needed.

So please do throw your thoughts at me. I'm in a lucky position that I have a pretty blank slate and can and need to get this sorted nicely. I can't go bat-poop insane on prices, but neither is cost the decider.

2. asura

asura jack of all trades

If you're going to be spending any amount of time in there, stick some insulation down - it doesn't have to be much - but concrete floors can strike through cold - even just 25mm of a rigid insulation would be better than nothing - then probably a cheep roll of vinyl on top, soft enough not to damage anything that gets dropped, easily cleaned, cheep, and easily replaceable.

Lighting tends to be broken into three types (for working at a bench) ambient, local and focused. And you need to work out what works best for the sort of jobs you're doing - for me it's low ambient light; medium/high adjustable local light with an easily accessible on/off switch; and occasional (but very occasional) high focused light - or a 40W TF bulb, a 20w fluorescent bench lamp, and a cree LED torch I clip onto my optivisor. Your needs will through up different solutions.

I would say be careful of over-lighting, especially if you're painting walls and ceilings white, it's very easy to fall into eye-strain territory.

3. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

I didn't see any mention of 3 phase and a cnc machine.

4. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

A tin of screwfix no nonsense trade floor paint makes a world of difference to a concrete floor for next to no money. Screed is good if you want it flat but it's not anywhere near as strong so if you're ever going to jack a car up in there it will crack. Also expect to use a lot of it so it can get pricey fast.

5. asura

asura jack of all trades

Ohh, we're still fitting a car in there? Ignore the insulation then.

6. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Dunno if that's the case, just thought it was worth mentioning.

The floor in mine is badly uneven, as it's quite an old school concrete base. There's no fixing it for sensible money.

7. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

A car? Hmmm...

Technically my T5 camper would fit inside, but it would take up all the space... and I'd have to rip the beds of the VW and convert it into a nano scale mobile workshop.

:idea:

Which admittedly would be awesome idea but not so practical when taking the kids to the mountains.

8. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Sort of done mine recently with some racking an such but mines on the cheap im moving soon an have no power.
    Floor you an get away with the Screwfix floor paint it works a treat, but I would around the work area get something like carpet tiles or the like. Far warmer on the feet an less harsh.

Walls you can get away with whacking up some insulation board, starts at about 25mm thick but would need a skin over it so boards etc. Id focus on the three walls not attached to next doors first you get some insulation from the other garage being there anyway, plus something on the ceiling but with access to the eves.

Lighting LED is the way to go plus Id see about a couple of sockets so you can get some work lamps in I have no power in mine ive fudged it with LED battery lamps which are really handy. along with magnetic lamps to stick on things. An LED strip over your work area is a good shout though should give loads of options.

Last bit, garage door itself you can insulate the back so long as you don't interfere with the mechanism, ive not done it myself but seen it done with foil type materials

9. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

I don't feel need to insulate the walls for heat retention purposes. The left wall is into the neighbours, the right and back walls are onto rooms in my house.

It's a good flat roof with wooden rafters, easy to insulate if needed but it won't be top of the TODO list.

I think some decent soundproofing / insulation on the neighbour adjoining wall would be a courteous gesture

Insulating the floor is a job too far IMHO, and I think floor paint will be fine.

10. legoman

Its not so much insulating the floor more just workshop style floor tiles so you don't get cold achey feet standing around in the winter.

11. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

You could also read rule number 5 (google it), unless you plan on spending all day in there with a tshirt on and thin socks you'll be fine in nearly all British weather, if it gets nippy wack a heater in there.

Racking cheapest way is old scaffold like you've suggested, solid as a rock and you can easily customize it if needs change, although those boxes are not cheap.

12. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Might be worth slapping some insulation & draftproofing onto the inside of the garage door, if you'll be in there during winter.

13. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

I'll also stand on the side of insulating even if you just get a roll of bubblewrap and staple it to the walls. I get oxidisation on my tools and even rust in the garage due to the amount of humidity in there, although it's free standing and single-walled.

14. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Maybe throw some of those pound-shop dehumidifiers in your toolbox? :thumb:

15. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

I'm actually going to get some of the paint to seal the floor and inside of the walls against water. I have an a-frame roof on the garage, thinking of boarding it out and insulating it in the future, move the tools up there.

16. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Exactly! Our previous place had no heating and us and the kids survived quite nicely. It's years since I've used a seated desk and have my fair share of warm clothing. I don't need heating in the workshop. Work harder and put a hat on!

I've already got stacks of the boxes. The trick was is to pick them up when they were on sale for a tenner a piece.

17. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

If you don't seal the floor it will continuously generate dust, which is annoying as all get out

18. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

One thing i will suggest is this.

Clear everything out and spend a day or 2 properly sealing the floor it will pay off massively in the long run

19. legoman

20. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Floor = carpet tiles, cheap on ebay.
    So much nicer under foot than plain concrete, either do the whole space or have a supply to lay down / move about as needed.